“Very nice hotel ..exceptional staff”

The Winchester Hotel & spa
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

I have just finished an 8 week corporate stay (today 31 May) at the Winchester. I could not leave without writing a review. First, nice spa but a bit unreliable in terms of temperatures day by day. If my primary reason for choosing this hotel had been to use spa facilities I guess I would have been a bit disappointed but as I was there for business it wasn't a major issue. Now...food...I used the bar/restaurant for food about 4 night's per week over an 8 week period. Overall it was , I guess, just about ok in terms of food quality, perhaps lacking a bit of imagination and the daily 'specials' seriously need more rotation....far too repetitive!....Now to the big plus factor at this hotel....the staff!....did not meet one single member of staff from cleaning staff to management who were not polite, helpful and friendly, special. mention must go to Jade at reception, very helpful and professional. Top marks however goes to Freddie in the bar, a young man who is a total credit to this hotel, professional and customer focussed every day of my visit. This young man deserves a big wage rise AND a promotion. Katie and Morgan in the bar are also very helpful, polite and attentive. I look forward to being back soon.

• Stayed: May 2013
There are newer reviews for The Winchester Hotel & spa

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We booked this break last minute. We wanted to get away after a stressful few days. We researched several locations within an hour’s drive of our home. Winchester just about came in to the sweep and are we glad it did. We arrived 90 minutes before the stated check-in time but although the room was not ready we were offered the use of all the facilities. We declined the offer and took the opportunity to explore town and have some lunch. Returned to hotel about 2.30 and as with the first visit we were attended to straight away. Room was spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom. One good touch in the bathroom was the heated mirror. After a hot shower you can get on with your wet shave without constantly wiping the mirror. Towels were replaced each morning with no sign of that silly little card about putting your dirty towels in the bath to save the environment when everyone knows it’s to save the hotel money on their cleaning bills. We had a standard room which was more than adequate for our needs. Had dinner on first night as part of the package and we were so impressed with the food and service in the Hutton’s Brasserie we booked for a second night. Very good bar (Gershwin’s) and they also cater for bar meals. However, if you do want to eat away from the hotel the town is only a ten minute walk away and there is a good selection of pubs and restaurants to suit everyone’s taste. Breakfast was first class, buffet style but happy to accommodate individual needs. Well-cooked English breakfast and an excellent rage for the continental option. The pool and leisure area is very well presented. Modern decor and a relaxing atmosphere around the pool with comfortable loungers. Small Jacuzzi and a steam room and sauna. Didn’t use the gym but looked well equipped. The pool is fairly small and is more for relaxing than for the keen swimmer but it has got a wave machine. Our room was on the third floor which involved taking the lift to second floor, a walk along a couple of corridors, in to another lift and then another corridor. Was a bit of a struggle when first arrived with luggage but after that was not a problem. After a good evening meal in the restaurant the trek back to the room was an advantage. Despite the location the Wi-Fi in the room was excellent. Makes a refreshing change for Wi-Fi to be accessible throughout the hotel and not just in the public areas. All of the staff were helpful, friendly, well trained and managed. Would definitely return again.

Room Tip: Check accessibility of room if you're not very mobile
2  Thank panda1957
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed here for two nights at the end of May 2013 as we were in the city for a family party. Hotel was spotlessly clean, all staff were friendly, welcoming and incredibly helpful – nothing was too much trouble. After a long journey, I had severe back pain and when the onsite spa couldn't fit me in for a massage, a member of staff took my details and searched other options so that I could have one elsewhere.

We ate in the hotel on the first night of our stay, food was delicious, service was excellent and we didn't have to wait for a table despite the fact we hadn't booked.

Room was lovely, very clean with a comfortable bed and ensuite had everything you could need. Shower was a little confusing to operate but fine once I'd worked it out.

My only tiny criticism would be the limited parking facilities. It works on a first come first served basis and if there are no spaces you can park at the front of the hotel but have to pay as it's council owned. Luckily, I found a space but other relations didn't and had to pay. For such a large hotel I would expect parking to be easier.

Apart from that I cannot fault it. The location is great, about a 10 minute walk to the city centre and downhill all the way. I would definitely stay here again, it is a brilliant hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here during the Bank Holiday weekend on a 'Fizz Break'. The hotel was spotlessly clean everywhere and was very comfortable. Excellent value for money as dinner and bed & breakfast included in our package. Spa facilities good but the pool is very small and on this occasion was rather cold. Staff very friendly and happy to help.

Just a note to the hotel - please could you add a few more gluten free options to your menus?
Most of the dishes can be adapted (e.g meals without sauces, etc) but some gluten free bread at breakfast would have been good.
We have stayed here before and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again in the future.
Highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were there for a two night stay and also indulged in some spa treatments.
The service at the hotel was fantastic - the room service staff very helpful and always willing.good food. Lovely aesthetic room.close to all amenities.
The Spa was out of world experience. We both enjoyed it and planning to return.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We booked the hotel for a small family get together. The deals being offered on the website looked good so I called and had prices quoted to me and after checking with the others in our party, I called back to book 3 double rooms. To my astonishment I was quoted a much higher price than had been quoted or that I could actually see online, I queried the price and was told that they had booked rooms since I had checked the prior day, at this stage I was ready to look at other hotels. The reservation clerk then said she would check other deals they had and then quoted a lower price than I had been quoted, which I then booked. WHY DON'T YOU JUST OFFER THE BEST DEALS STRAIGHT AWAY.
The stay we had was very good, the rooms were clean, tidy and well kept. The food was delicious and the bar/patio area was very relaxing. The spa was nice, although the pool could be larger and warmer. Overall we had a good stay and would book the hotel again

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I arrived to this hotel only because others were full. Now this place will be my priority for next viist. What is good:
1. Modern interior in the public areas and inside the room. My room had plenty of day light and was quiet.
2. Aircondition !!! heating, comfortable room and shower (not bath - great!)
3. Great location with plenty of parking and within walking distance to many bars and restaurants in Winchester.
4. 24x7 bar with fairly good food. Good breakfast.
5. Excelent value for money.
6. Staff listens and helpful.

I did not check the spa, and will surely do on next visit.

Room Tip: My room 125 had window and glass door to the roof. Good day light coming in. The double glazed windo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business