“reunion weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Dymchurch, United Kingdom
“reunion weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had a lovely welcome when we arrived all our cases were taken from the coach and whilst we waited to be issued with our keys our luggage was taken to our rooms and waiting for us. Room was large and inviting spasious wardrobes plenty of drawer space TV hair dryer iron and board and a good shower as well.

As we was a large group we had our evening meals in the crystal room well laid out and inviting the staff were friendly and efficient meals were well done and hot (well done to all in the kitchens and waiting staff) so nice to have a meal that is still hot. And the choice was good as well, and the afternoon cake was wonderful both the black forest gatueax and the carrot cake were both lovely and moist.

The breakfasts were served in the Huttons room buffet style but toast and tea coffee was served at table the only downside was that we was such a large group you had to wait for a table (maybe we should have had our breakfast in the crystal room as well) again all the staff were helpful and friendly.

We did find that the bar prices were a bit steep but it is a hotel after all.

On the Friday night we had a very wet windy night that put the TVs in the rooms one side of the hotel out of action and unfortunately no engineer till Monday so not able to wind down with a bit of telly before bed.

This hotel is a spa as well and I booked a massage for the saturday evening after a trip out I had to fill a form and discuss any medical issues that I might have and then went into a treatment room where I was asked to choose the oil that I would like and then left to uh undress and lay on the bed ready for the young lady to come back and I will say it is the best 45 minute massage I have had in a long time as I have a lot of shoulder issue she did very well and relived a lot of my pain for me (thank you for the best nights sleep in a long time normally only get 2 hrs because shoulder wakes me up) no pain that night. Only wished I had longer there to maybe have nails/pedicure and other treatments.

We would stay here again well done all.

Room Tip: Try not to have a room above spa as was told it could be noisy as there is a generater like noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

It's not often I write scathing reviews (check out my other reviews). But I feel compelled to write one about the Winchester Hotel.

We thought all was going well until we turned off our TV to go to sleep. Only then did we find out that there was a generator outside our room that not only was a permanent noise but kept on changing gear. i.e. the most annoying type.

The hotel management were less than useful in sorting out the problem and in the end we had to agree on moving hotels. At 11.30 at night. We did get a full refund but the way they offered us just £20 off the room (we booked £185 club room package) if we stayed was disgusting.

They claimed they had no other rooms available - I'm just not sure they were trying hard enough to keep our custom, nor the negative review I have to give for their lack of service.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cornishtim
Berkshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a weekend break in Winchester, staying at The Winchester Hotel and it was amazing. The hotel is five mins walk from the city centre which is lovely and the cathedral was beautiful. I could not fault the hotel, the staff could not do enough for us and the food and menu choice was brilliant. We had pre dinner drinks in the bar with the wonderful piano playing, the dinner menu had many choices and the restaurant atmosphere was buzzing. Our room was spacious and quiet. The pool and facilities were relaxing and we had a massage in the spa which was out of this world, the setting of the spa is very tranquil and we had our massages done at the same time in a double beauty room, it was brilliant. For a perfect weekend break I would recommend this hotel. They made us feel very welcome and very special, we left feeling like we had had a week off work. Thoroughly recommend.

1 Thank Bofd
Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful, relaxing weekend in the Winchester Hotel & Spa. This hotel well deserves it's 4 star rating with sumptuous surroundings, excellent service and warm & friendly atmosphere. We had an all inclusive deal which included dinner in the Hutton's Brasserie. The food was first class and service to match. I highly recommend this hotel for families or couples alike. It's in a great location for walking into Winchester to see the sights. We will definitely stay here again so why don't you go and see it for yourself. Jo C.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Higham Ferrers, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel is a nice hotel within walking distance of the city centre. The rooms were well appointed and very clean, the staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was nice, although had to wait a while at the self service hot breakfast bar as the hotel was busy.... the evening meal was good especially the home made pie of the day!! Would stay again .

1 Thank karen j
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have just returned from a short break at the Winchester Hotel and Spa, and can highly recommend it. We booked a stay that included an afternoon cream tea, 3 course dinner and breakfast. Everything about our stay was brilliant and was exactly what we would expect from a "good" 4 star hotel. The staff throughout were very efficient and friendly (the girl that checked us in was professional, but also very friendly, which made us feel very welcome). The room (ours was a standard double), was modern and very clean, with quick internet access. The evening meal was definitely worthy of the AA rosette, and the breakfast was a high quality "hot" buffet that set us up for the day (I highlight the word "hot" as so many buffet breakfasts are lukewarm at best). The location was great to walk into town (about 10 mins). Admittedly, the location of the hotel is not in the most picturesque of settings, being at the rear of a public car park in a residential area, but it's in a nice safe area and it's convenience for the town was great. As others have mentioned, the free hotel car park is quite small, but we found no problem finding a parking space. There is a large Pay and display car park at the front if it does get too full (and it's free on Sundays and Bank holidays). The small pool and fitness area was very modern and fresh, and the Jacuzzi and steam room were a pleasure. Our only small negative was the Elephant that was in the room above us, that went for a short jog on the hour, every hour during the night, but that was not any fault of the hotel - it was simply the persons inconsideration for others. All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great Winchester break in a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Don't leave it too late for a dip in the pool. We wanted a quick dip before our dinner, but as...
Epping Forest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

The hotel is well located and is within a short walk of the Centre of Winchester.

Upon arrival I was asked to produce a card so as to authorise a deposit. This I expressed surprise at as I had completed the form that I was asked to but the front desk person insisted upon this. This was really annoying as it gave me the impression that I appeared suspicious to them. This is a major customer service flaw. It was explained to me that payment would be authorised but not paid, not a concept I was familiar with, I gave my credit card details while saying that I was not happy about this. This episode has dropped my rating of this hotel which is unfortunate when you read on.

Later I went to the bar for a pint or two before going to bed but was ignored by the one staff member who was tampering with a coffee making machine then tidying up and THEN I got served. Then I thought that one pint is all you are getting out of me.

The room was small but ok.

Breakfast for both mornings was good.

The gym was well worthwhile and clearly some thought had gone in to what should be in a gym,good use was made of the space allocated.

The evening we stayed for the evening meal was particularly good in every sense. The food had a lot of thought and effort put into it and the service was really outstanding.

It was possible to book a variety of spa treatments so they clearly take this part of the business seriously,not all spa hotels do.

All round this is a good hotel but they need to get a grip on their booking in procedure. I find it particularly annoying to have people perceive me as an object of suspicion

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family