“Fabulous Hotel”

The Winchester Hotel & spa
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful, relaxing weekend in the Winchester Hotel & Spa. This hotel well deserves it's 4 star rating with sumptuous surroundings, excellent service and warm & friendly atmosphere. We had an all inclusive deal which included dinner in the Hutton's Brasserie. The food was first class and service to match. I highly recommend this hotel for families or couples alike. It's in a great location for walking into Winchester to see the sights. We will definitely stay here again so why don't you go and see it for yourself. Jo C.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Winchester Hotel & spa

Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel is a nice hotel within walking distance of the city centre. The rooms were well appointed and very clean, the staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was nice, although had to wait a while at the self service hot breakfast bar as the hotel was busy.... the evening meal was good especially the home made pie of the day!! Would stay again .

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank karen j
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have just returned from a short break at the Winchester Hotel and Spa, and can highly recommend it. We booked a stay that included an afternoon cream tea, 3 course dinner and breakfast. Everything about our stay was brilliant and was exactly what we would expect from a "good" 4 star hotel. The staff throughout were very efficient and friendly (the girl that checked us in was professional, but also very friendly, which made us feel very welcome). The room (ours was a standard double), was modern and very clean, with quick internet access. The evening meal was definitely worthy of the AA rosette, and the breakfast was a high quality "hot" buffet that set us up for the day (I highlight the word "hot" as so many buffet breakfasts are lukewarm at best). The location was great to walk into town (about 10 mins). Admittedly, the location of the hotel is not in the most picturesque of settings, being at the rear of a public car park in a residential area, but it's in a nice safe area and it's convenience for the town was great. As others have mentioned, the free hotel car park is quite small, but we found no problem finding a parking space. There is a large Pay and display car park at the front if it does get too full (and it's free on Sundays and Bank holidays). The small pool and fitness area was very modern and fresh, and the Jacuzzi and steam room were a pleasure. Our only small negative was the Elephant that was in the room above us, that went for a short jog on the hour, every hour during the night, but that was not any fault of the hotel - it was simply the persons inconsideration for others. All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great Winchester break in a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Don't leave it too late for a dip in the pool. We wanted a quick dip before our dinner, but as...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The hotel is well located and is within a short walk of the Centre of Winchester.

Upon arrival I was asked to produce a card so as to authorise a deposit. This I expressed surprise at as I had completed the form that I was asked to but the front desk person insisted upon this. This was really annoying as it gave me the impression that I appeared suspicious to them. This is a major customer service flaw. It was explained to me that payment would be authorised but not paid, not a concept I was familiar with, I gave my credit card details while saying that I was not happy about this. This episode has dropped my rating of this hotel which is unfortunate when you read on.

Later I went to the bar for a pint or two before going to bed but was ignored by the one staff member who was tampering with a coffee making machine then tidying up and THEN I got served. Then I thought that one pint is all you are getting out of me.

The room was small but ok.

Breakfast for both mornings was good.

The gym was well worthwhile and clearly some thought had gone in to what should be in a gym,good use was made of the space allocated.

The evening we stayed for the evening meal was particularly good in every sense. The food had a lot of thought and effort put into it and the service was really outstanding.

It was possible to book a variety of spa treatments so they clearly take this part of the business seriously,not all spa hotels do.

All round this is a good hotel but they need to get a grip on their booking in procedure. I find it particularly annoying to have people perceive me as an object of suspicion

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LoughtonEppingForest
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is a very nice hotel within walking distance of the town centre,.. A well appointed,clean room at the end of endless corridors.staff were friendly and helpful,. Unfortunately breakfast was cold served on cold plates. Great sausages though.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Our party of 4 had a great time on New Year’s Eve. The staff we encountered could not have been more friendly and consistently professional throughout. I can totally endorse what David H has already said on his review. The complimentary bottles of water in the room was a good touch.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Booked for a special new year black tie dinner dance the hotel did everything it could to end a special year in style. The service and the room was exceptional and the evening party very well organised with excellent food. Dancing until well into 2013 with a lot of like minded party goers my girlfriend and I had an memorable end to one year and a start to the next. I don't care how delicate you might feel in the morning but the breakfast is one of the best you will get in a hotel where buffet is the order of the day. Our first visit but it may not be the last. Thanks to Helen who organised the evening event and helped in many ways with the room and also to all the staff who seemed to have endless energy well into the night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple