The Winchester Hotel & spa
$173
$93
$86
  • Restaurant
The Wykeham Arms(Winchester)(Great Value!)
$146
Marwell Hotel(Winchester)
$94
$116
$97
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $110/night.

$87
$76
$56
$47
Days Inn Sutton Scotney South(Winchester)(Great Value!)
$57
$48
Priceline
Premier Inn Winchester Hotel(Winchester)(Great Value!)
$84
PremierInn.com
Giffard House(Winchester)
1,967 results
All reviewsclub roomsauna and steam roomheritage breakcar parkhealth clubsmall poolbottle of proseccopay and displaythird floorhotel parkingreception staffcity centrelovely hotelbuffet styleevening mealleisure facilitiesweekend break
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Wonderful hotel in every way. I was lucky to stay two nights on the Fizz Break which was exceptionally good value. Room was beautiful - fridge and complimentary chilled water a nice added extra. I visited the spa which also had a wonderful offer on. I had probably the best massage of my life and the treatment rooms are exquisite. All of the staff were pleasant and efficient. Top marks to Jake in the bar for inventing cocktails for us! I stay in many hotels for work and leisure - this one ticks all of my boxes and I would pay full price to stay there again. Also for anyone who is unaware we chose Winchester for its Christmas market and shopping. Why travel abroad for a Christmas market when we have one this good at home - it was wonderful and will draw me back even though its a 5 hour drive. NB I note other reviews complaining about prices. This is a lovely 4 star hotel - they dont come with Tesco bar or food prices!

Room Tip: If you need to use a lift to go upstairs ask for a room close to the lift as the place is a bit of a rabbit warren on the bedroom floors.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed at The Winchester on a 'Fizz' break which included a three course meal with a glass of champagne. The deal itself was really good value and we had a great stay with them. The room was spacious and very clean. It was well equipped with nice touches and plenty of storage. The hair dryer was good, there was a mini fridge which even had complimentary mineral water. The bed itself was comfortable and we found the airconditioning easy to adjust and use which was nice on a chilly weekend!

All the staff were really polite and helpful, nothing seemed too much trouble for them. It is true that parking could be an issue, although we were lucky enough to find a space but to be honest it is £7.00 a day to park (free overnight) and that's less than many people would pay for a couple of coffees and cake and not think twice about.

Our meal in the evening was excellent, really can't fault it. There was a wide choice of courses with an additional selection at a supplement and the free fizz was also of a good quality which to be honest was a bit of a surprise. When we commented on how nice it was the Restaurant Manager even went and got the bottle and told us where we could buy it!

Breakfast the following morning was very busy, and the staff had their work cut out for them, we seeemed to be lucky as once we sat down about 30 people arrived in one go but even so all of the staff worked really hard to get everyone seated as quickly as possible which given the size of the restuarant was no mean feat. The staff really do work well together, very efficiently and effectively.

We used the spa on our second day and that was also lovely, a really nice pool, not large but with a wave device to swim against, a steam room and sauna and a jacuzzi. Again the staff were helpful and friendly and provided a hotel room to shower in as their showers only had cold water that day.

It is a good 10-15 min walk from the hotel downhill into the main shopping area of Winchester but you can walk through Hyde, taking in the remains of Hyde Abbey, all thats left following the dissolution of the Monasteries in Henry VIII's time. Its a pleasant walk although you could get a taxi I guess.

OK so the hotel doesn't have the luxury of gardens, outside space or panoramic views etc as it is surrounded by car parks but I think that for a short break the staff and the hotel itself make up for this. We certainly enjoyed our trip and based on value for money we would definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night on business. I found the hotel to be easy to find & well located not far from major routes.
I found the parking arrangements to be very odd. The huge car park at the front is council pay & display. At the rear are 2 very small car parks which I can imagine fill very quickly, I was lucky to get last parking space at 4.45 I can only presume once full you have to pay for parking.
The hotel is vast, rooms scattered all over the place, but relatively easy to find your way around.
The food prices are ridiculous, £6.50 for a jacket potato... So I nipped out and round the corner for a full bag of stuff from Tescos.
I booked a club room which was nicely appointed, but the bathroom was very tired.

BIG BUG BEAR FOR ME!!!

When a hotel says "King Size Bed"... I do not expect it to be 2 x Single beds strapped together with a tiny gap in the middle... That really really winds me up. It is not even like you can split the beds to have 2 singles as the room isn't designed for that.

SO WHEN SOMEONE PAYS FOR A KING SIZE BED, GIVE THEM A KING SIZE BED!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Spiderdude
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights in November, one of which was my other half's birthday. I wish we hadn't. We called ahead to check whether there was "musak" playing in the dining room we were assured that in the evening there was an "automatic piano" , this sounded fun so we booked. On our arrival there was music blaring in the reception area so loudly we almost had to shout at the staff. [Is every one deaf these days?] Our room was fine a large bed and it was clean and tidy and warm, or so we thought, it turned out later that the air conditioning could not be turned any higher than 22 degrees. We had a perfectly acceptable meal there on our first night and yes there is a piano, which is a great idea it is like an old fashioned pianola, playing quietly. We lingered after dinner in the lounge area and suddenly the piano ceased and the loud 'musak' took over we retired to bed. In the morning we went to breakfast to find that the 'musak' was once again blaring with what we thought was a local radio station. We requested that we have our food in the bar area which was quieter because it was crowded with people, this was not problem so we visited the buffet to discover that the cooked breakfast although apparently being kept hot was indeed cold. I rarely eat a full english breakfast so one of the treats of staying away from home is a good meal early. I found the staff to be extremely curt and unsmiling with the exception of one waitress. The second morning we once again visited the breakfast room to be greeted by 2 men with sullen expressions the radio was blaring everywhere, we asked if it was possible to eat somewhere and not have music, we were informed that it is impossible to turn it off or indeed down in volume. We left the room. I would not recommend this hotel it is clean and tidy but when will owners realise that LOUD music around public areas annoys many people, some simply endure it and a very small minority actually would choose it. I will be visiting Winchester again quite often but I will vote with my feet I will not stay at The Winchester again and would not recommend anyone else does.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2012

A group of 24 of us just stayed at the hotel over the weekend. Obviously this was quite a worrying responsibility for me but the staff made everything very easy and at all stages we were dealt with efficiently. We were booked for the Heritage Break and that was extremely good value. We did have our evening meal time changed prior to arrival but the reason was explained and it did lead to excellent service when we agreed to the later time. The rooms and public areas were clean and comfortable and well appointed. The only thing any of our party commented adversely on was the price of the drinks at the bar and also there was a lot of outside noise on the first night but that was in no way the fault of the hotel but did affect sleep quality.
Overall I think all of us would recommend the hotel to others and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends