“Warm ambience, great decor, good service, 7/10 for food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of No.5 Bridge Street

No.5 Bridge Street
Ranked #52 of 197 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: Gastropub, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: No.5 Bridge Street is a pub/bar & restaurant with rooms in Winchester City Centre. Open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch & dinner. The restaurant's menu is seasonal & dishes are freshly prepared. The menu is of British influence, based around local, seasonal ingredients, with a superb selection of grazing sharing plates. The bar offers a substantial wine list, traditional cocktail menu, well-kept locally sourced beers & premium lagers.The British tapas 'grazing' items on the bar & restaurant menu are great to share amongst friends with a bottle of wine.No.5's beautiful stable offers private dining & meeting facilities for 16 people.
London, United Kingdom
“Warm ambience, great decor, good service, 7/10 for food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Went for a spur of the moment mid week supper. Place was probably a third full. Staff were friendly and efficient. Comprehensive menu with some great sounding dishes, though they didn't quite live up to expectation - salad a bit bland, vegetables a tad overcooked. That said, I'd go back to this place as I really liked the decor and ambience and the food was definitely passable.

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“Would visit again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Myself and my husband booked to visit this resturant when the had a 'pay what you think its worth' evening.
I had been meaning to go here for a while, and this gave me the perfect opportunity.
We were seated in a nice friendly pub, and pondered the menu.

My husband couldnt see a starter he liked, so we went straight for mains.

I ordered a bottle of wine to go with the meal - they didnt have that one so i asked which other would be good. To be fait to the waitress, she had no idea about wine, but gave it a good go. I think if i had the manager, he would have been very quick to recommend an alternative (perhaps a little more training for the staff would be good)

I had mac 'n' cheese which was really tasty, i had a spring slaw on the side, which i could have eaten bowls of, it was delicious

My husband had a burger - he said it was the best he had eaten.

We both had a pudding, which were ok - but i probably wouldnt order again.

The food was presented nicely, and was tastly

We paid quite a good amount for the food - but probably less than it actually was.

Would i eat here again? - yes

Newport, United Kingdom
“Tasty food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went on a special 'pay what you think it's worth' evening having never been to the restaurant before we thought it was a good opportunity to try the place. We visited on a mid week evening which meant the place wasn't too busy. They had a decent wine selection and we ordered a bottle of Rosé which was good. Service was fairly slow not that we were in a rush but there was quite a long gap between ordering and receiving dishes. We all had steaks with the chicken salt chips which were delicious although I could have done with a few more. There were no prices on the menu as they were still trailing it at that point however the price per 100g of sirloin steak was stated as £10 which is extortionate! Especially as the smallest weight was 250g. We didn't pay this much due to the offer but I probably wouldn't return if the prices are actually that high. Overall really good food but expensive.

Visited April 2013
AdamC381, General Manager at No.5 Bridge Street, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank-you for your review and it’s great to hear you took advantage of our special event which allowed you to try our restaurant for the first time, and you enjoyed your meal.

We decided to put on the ‘Pay what you think it’s worth’ event for the trial of our new menu - which allows us to receive feedback from our customers in a number of areas, including what they think is the correct price. This allows us to make adjustments to menu items and pricing before its full launch.

Again, thank-you for your feedback. I am sitting down with our Head Chef and going through all the feedback we received. It would be fantastic if you could send me your contact details to manager@no5bridgestreet.co.uk. I would like to send you the finished menu to receive your feedback again, and hopefully welcome you back to No.5 Bridge Street.
Guildford, United Kingdom
“For £14 it should be the king of all burgers.............”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

As many of the reviews have already said the style and atmosphere of the bar are really very good and your expectations when it comes to the food are raised by that fact.
We ordered some drinks and settled down to look through the menu where the burger, a true reflection of any pubs gastronomic capabilities stood out as a clear favourite.
So the decision was made, a portion of bread and olives to pass the time with followed by two burgers, one with cheese and one with cheese and bacon with some skinny fries.
So out came the bread and olives, delicious! Just about enough oil but I am sure we would have been provided with more if we had asked and a couple more olives each would not have sent the margins plummeting.
On to the main event, the £14 burger! Out it came, a rather underwhelming site, the standard pub fare with the compulsory wooden board and long cocktail stick accompaniments along with an unimpressive half pint glass full of skinny fries that looked like they had come straight from the golden arches of Ronalds place.
The burger itself was a nice moist and juicy bit of meat but when you consider the price, an ungenerous piece of bacon and a slice of mozzarella was certainly not the £3 worth of extras that I was expecting, whoever decided that mozzarella was a good choice of cheese for a burger needs to have a bit of a rethink it just doesn't sit with the whole combination.
So the rest of it, the bun was quite good, held its form for the duration and did its job well but it didn't have much to contain and I don't think that the two thinnest slices of gherkin were going to challenge its powers of containment while battling with the token salad that had been thrown in for the sake of it.
There was a small pot of burger relish but neither of us relished the thought of adding it to our meal and I was certainly pleased that I had the choice of adding it or not.
Overall, the service was good but the main event of the food was a big let down and I would certainly not recommend the burger as it is definitely not the king of all burgers that it should be with that price tag!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Tony, thank you for the review, and it’s great to hear you enjoyed the ambience of our venue.

I apologise that the burger didn't live up to your expectations. Our aim is for every single item that leaves the kitchen to be the best possible quality.

We are currently doing some changes to our current menu, and the feedback you left will be discussed with my Head Chef.

If you could send me your contact details to Manager@no5bridgestreet.co.uk we would love to welcome you back and perhaps try the burger again. Where I am confident we can persuade you that our burger is the king of all burgers!

Kind regards,
Adam Church.
“Trendy Bar with Good Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Great atmosphere in this bar on a busy Saturday lunch, friendly staff and good wine list made it a great lunch.
Atmosphere and staff detracted from only semi warm food, but overall it was a good lunch

• Visited March 2013