“Somewhere old, something new?”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of No.5 Bridge Street

No.5 Bridge Street
Ranked #53 of 200 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: Gastropub, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: No.5 Bridge Street is a pub/bar & restaurant with rooms in Winchester City Centre. Open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch & dinner. The restaurant's menu is seasonal & dishes are freshly prepared. The menu is of British influence, based around local, seasonal ingredients, with a superb selection of grazing sharing plates. The bar offers a substantial wine list, traditional cocktail menu, well-kept locally sourced beers & premium lagers.The British tapas 'grazing' items on the bar & restaurant menu are great to share amongst friends with a bottle of wine.No.5's beautiful stable offers private dining & meeting facilities for 16 people.
Winchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Somewhere old, something new?”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Having heard so many great reviews from friends, I was desperate to experience the luxury and fine food from this newly renovated bar & restaurant that everyone had raved about.

No 5 Bridge Street certainly looks the part, it is impeccably presented and I love the style and attention to detail in the new decor but unfortunately this is as far as my enjoyment went...The level of service and quality of the food did not meet my expectation, not just on one occasion, but having been several times now (including twice for food) I have left disappointed and do not plan to make a return.

My most recent visit was a Friday lunchtime with four of my close friends. The bar and restaurant were not particularly busy (there were no more than 5 tables being occupied in the areas combined)

Having not been acknowledged by the bar staff on arrival we assumed it was self service and so proceeded to order a drink and some food from the bar. It took quite some time to be served and then we were told several things were unavailable to make our friend's favourite 'Bloody Mary' cocktail (things such as Tobasco and Worcester sauce which I would consider to be standard condiments for most domestic kitchens never mind bar/restaurants).

We then each ordered a sandwich with chips from the sandwich menu with various fillings. As we sat and waited for our food we were approached by a gentleman who we considered to be the manager or owner, he placed some cutlery on our table and made some small talk. He then attempted twice to give us food for another table and when our food arrived there was no distinction between who had ordered what and the food was left on the table for us to sort through (vegetarian sandwich and meat sandwich etc). The 'sandwiches' themselves were rather more like toasted bread baps (the cheap white type you'd expect in value multipacks at the supermarket) and the fillings were rather frugally applied, not worth the £5.50 and £6 price tag I'd say.

When we requested ketchup and mayonaise we were told that the 'delivery hadn't come in'. My advice was that they should take a trip over the road and invest in a few essentials from the shop.

I feel like the detail is lacking in this establishment, the phrase 'all talk and no substance' springs to mind. My first visit to No5 Bridge Street for an evening meal was so appalling that I have erased it from my memory, although the fluorescent tungsten lights of the kitchen illuminating our ludicrously expensive meal are about all I can recall.

I would classify bar tending and waiting tables as a profession (as they do on the continent), it seems that No5 Bridge Street employs individuals who are not committed to customer service and satisfaction. In the hour and a half we visited that particular Friday afternoon, the young barman broke 2 cocktail glasses and ignored one individual and a couple stood at the bar (who promptly exited). I wish we would have done the same and gave our custom to a more deserving establishment.

Farnborough, United Kingdom
“A very enjoyable evening”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Last night we celebrated my husband birthday at No 5. We had a very enjoyable evening, the restaurant and bar had a lovely atmosphere, the staff were all very friendly and efficient. The food was very good, all freshly cooked and well presented. The service was very good, the food hot and timing between courses, just right. We would definitely return and overall had a very enjoyable evening.

Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“A new gem hidden away”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

No 5 The Bridge in Winchester, those who may remember was the dark and dingy Makiki, Blondes and a few others. Wow what a difference, the place is now light, friendly and has a great atmosphere about it, also they do loyalty cards so you can get free drinks or food - bargain.. Hidden away off the usual routes in town but well worth a visit, food is great and for lunch nice and quick and cheap.. I have also used it for business meetings and just had a coffee, the guys behind the bar were great, just smiled and looked after us.

London, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

we were lucky to get a cancellation in the restaurant early on a Saturday evening. The food has a modern twist and is very well presented. The service was good and informative. Good value.
The place became noisy as it filled up, we were glad we had gone early.

Visited January 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Tasty food...small portions”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Popped in for Sunday evening meal. Had the belly pork in cider with mash, which was spot on and finished with baked chocolate cheesecake which was delicious. Washed down with pint of 'Swift One'. Staff friendly and efficient. Only grumble was portion size which was a bit on the stingy side. Think 30% larger portions and I would be 100% happy.