“Simply Couldn't Be Better”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Northbrook Arms

Northbrook Arms
Ranked #38 of 200 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to the Northbrook Arms - a traditional village pub with letting rooms. We are situated in the idyllic village of East Stratton just minutes from the A33 between Winchester and Basingstoke. The pub boasts two gardens - the green opposite the pub which is perfect for catching the sun all day long, and the pretty country garden to the side of the pub which has an enclosed area at the bottom where children can play safely. We also have a traditional Skittle Alley in the beautiful old stables - with its own bar, space for dining and of course the Skittles - it is the perfect place to have a party or function.
Sydney, Australia
“Simply Couldn't Be Better”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I've been here repeatedly over the years, but my two most recent visits encouraged me to write and sing the praises of this awesome pub. Went firstly with my parents and my toddler for a birthday lunch. Awesome service to us and they were brilliant with my little one, who they gave the run of the dining room as it was quite quiet that lunchtime. We had a delicious lunch, where my coeliac and vegetarian-ness were happily catered for, as was my dads wheat free diet. I had a lovely watermelon and feta salad, mum and dad had meat dishes, all of which were beautiful and were served promptly. The chap behind the bar is a delight, he's a natural in hospitality.
The second time we visited was again with my parents and little one, and also this time with my husband and in laws. Again, a special occasion, again amazing service from the same fella behind the bar, and a new waitress, Amy. She also happened to be a nanny, so was incredible with our toddler, as well as being incredibly fried lot and knowledgeable, particularly impressive considering how new she was in her role. We had delicious food, all of us were impressed with it, and we also had a superb time, helped and sustained by the ambience, food and coffees. If I lived closer, I'd be in on a weekly basis. I'd find excuses to visit, just as my friends and parents in the area do.

• Visited August 2013

Winchester, United Kingdom
“two plates of food - one terrible, one average”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We went here for a weekend lunch. They were happy enough for us to have our little one in, but a little indifferent to us. My husband ordered a burger, which looked nice and he said tasted fine. I made the mistake of ordering a cottage pie. I was expecting for £10 some lovely home cooked food, but it tasted like it had been left out a couple of days too long after being prepared. If I had paid under a fiver for the meal I may have not been so surprised, but it was disgusting. The veg was seriously undercooked (please bear in mind I like my carrots with a bit of bite) and the parsnips I think were meant to be roasted but were cremated on the outside and not cooked through somehow. Noone asked us how the food was first nor last, and noone came to clear our plates. Having a little one, and being in a room away from the bar we chose to just pick our things up and leave as our baby was getting fractious, but we had already paid when we ordered. It is the only place where I seriously considered sending the plate back. I think they can use a frying pan and chip fryer ok, but anything more, including food hygiene, seems to be a bit beyond them. This was my only experience, but I will not be making an effort to be going back. Much nicer pubs in the area to go to.

1 Thank rachysetty
Camilla S, Manager at Northbrook Arms, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
In response to the review made above - firstly I would like to apologise for the inadequate experience you had when you came to us. We take customer service very seriously and always do our utmost to ensure that our customers are looked after to the highest standard.

I am slightly confused as to the date that you visited us as 'Cottage Pie' has not appeared on a menu for several months - perhaps you wrote the review about a visit sometime ago?

I would also like to make the point that we have a kitchen hygiene score of 5 out of 5 - something we have worked very hard for and of which we are very proud. It is not easy to acheive a 5 out of 5 score from the Environmental Health department and we would not have been able to achieve this score if we were in the habit of 'leaving food out' or if we did not adhere to strict hygiene regulations.

Hopefully you will be able to see from the other glowing reviews that we work hard to produce high quality food and that friendly and efficient customer service is the norm.

I do hope that you feel that you could visit us again in the future and maybe try a dish that is present on our (current) menu.
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic, friendly country pub”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have been to the Northbrook Arms many times and can honestly say it is one of the friendliest pubs I've ever visited. The staff are always genuinely welcoming, helpfull and well informed. The quality of the beer is second to none and the food is also excellent. This is a great place for a drink with friends or a meal with the family.

1 Thank Mark T
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Lovely English pub is reborn”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to go somewhere where beer was proper , where wine list was great and the food was hearty and delicious , relax atmosphere and beautiful setting .
What else you need !!

1 Thank Lucadag
Truro, United Kingdom
“Regular Customer”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have dined, imbibed and stayed at the Northbrook Arms on many occasions as a regular customer. Overall the standards are excellent, firstly the great selection of Real Ales sourced both locally and nationally are great (7 pumps, all different ales), choice of lagers and lovely selection of wines, chosen by a wine club tasting.

I have had several of the specials over the last year, and the stalwart burgers (homemade), fish and chips (homemade) and fab curries have all been excellent.
Accommodation was superb, clean, spacious with a great breakfast which is prepared at your convenience where possible.

The staff and locals are all friendly and nice, and the pub is friendly to well behaved dogs, even providing a fresh water bowl.
Situation of pub/restaurant/accommodation is very convenient, just off the A33 between Winchester and Basingstoke, between junctions 8 & 10 i thnk of the M3.
Beautiful countryside surrounds the pub which is situated in a chocolate box thatched village opposite its own green which has plenty of tables for outside dining, drinking and relaxing.

Indoors, one can dine in the bar, a snug type room or at a recently charmingly decorated dining room, very peaceful.
There is also a skittle alley which can be used or booked i believe by parties etc and is frequently used by big parties for dining.

Seems that nothing is a problem and customers catered to their tastes wherever possible.

2 Thank Danjou186300