“Country House hotel in the middle of a small city” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
London, England, United Kingdom
“Country House hotel in the middle of a small city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

Lovely place to stay, conveniently situated near the centre of this beautiful little city.

We had a room located on the first floor over-looking the main street (it was noisy from traffic when we opened the window). Next time I would ask for a room at the rear of the hotel. The room was beautifully decorated with large en-suite. Everything you needed was there. My only gripe was that the mood lighting in the room meant you could not read, nor apply makeup. Even in the bathroom the lighting was poor. Perhaps it was just this room.....
Otherwise a very pleasant stay.

1 Thank Sher M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

My husband and I were very pleased with the quality and service of this hotel. The staff was very friendly from the moment we walked in.
Downstairs in the hotel there is nice but small bar. It is open to the general public too, so gets very packed. The restaurant is lovely too, we made a mistake by not booking the table in advance but the receptionist managed to squeeze us in just after the last seating.

The location of the hotel is great. It is walking distance from the train station and close to all major attractions.
Overall the place is pricy but very nice indeed.

Tip: we booked a standard room only option ( and were not disappointed) but if you wish to upgrade, note that after I ve done the standard booking, I have received an email offering me an upgrade options that would have worked out cheaper than normal online booking. Upgrade options are also available on arrival.

Uppingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Great location, easy parking, good room, good staff, all the usual for HdV. It was relatively empty and quiet and our 2nd floor room could use a spruce up however the food, as ever, very good and the breakfast served hot and quickly. That's why we both stay regularly, it is a quality service for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: First floor rooms/suites seem to be the way to go.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

The Hotel du Vin chain offers comfort with individuality and even quirkiness. The Winchester location could hardly be handier - you could even see the Cathedral from our room - and is a cosy, comfortable. well-run establishment. Our room was nicely furnished though could do with a small armchair (a room with only one chair..?), well appointed, even a Nespresso coffee machine; nicely styled bathroom. Only real complaint was that it was too fashionably dim - it was impossible to read a newspaper after sundown. Delightful courtyard garden. Friendly staff. Free parking. Shirts £5. Restaurant reviewed separately.

Room Tip: Rooms do vary in size.
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Spent a fab night at Hotel du Vin Winchester last week. Lovely atmosphere and decor. Restaurant great – delicious vegetarian options too, and good wine. Staff welcoming and attentive; nothing was too much trouble. Really enjoyed the new cocktail bar and sampled a 'few' cocktails – well you have to don’t you? Warning: do not have more than one Zombie! Overall experience was first class and I can’t wait to go back.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have just been treated by my best friend for my 50th! birthday to a lovely stay at this beautiful hotel. The restaurant was absolutely superb, we had 3 courses with some house champagne, the starter was my favourite, leak and celeriac pie with blue cheese straws, my mouth is watering just thinking about it again. The room was splendid too, as you would expect from Hotel du Vin, but I always judge a hotel by the service, and I am delighted to say it was first class. The staff were extremely attentive, professional and made me feel very special. We really enjoyed our evening at the new cocktail bar which has just opened within the hotel, it's called Bar 20 and is run by a very experienced and amazing cocktail barista, I tried a few different ones (whoops!) and each one was superb, only the finest ingredients are used, and it shows. Try one (or two). Thank you hotel du vin Winchester for making my birthday a memorable one.

Winchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

I don't normally go in for reviews etc but simply had to share complete dissatisfaction with our experience at what is described as as top hotel in the Winchester area.
It was my wife and I anniversary, we don't get to eat out much these days, what with a young child but when a friend offered to baby sit we thought we would push the boat out a bit, well I wished we had stayed in harbour and gone to the 'chippy,
Table booked for 8.30, arrived early for a drink at the bar but so packed took almost 20 mins to get served, at about 8.50 I enquired as to dealy with , only to be miraculously shown to our table. Menus followed very quickly only for bread to take about 20mins. Starters, I ordered chicken liver parfait which I think was biked in from tesco, my wife ordered sauteed mushrooms which turned out only to be drier than the burnt toast which accompanied my parfait. Almost a full hour later mains arrived, my wife ordered a very mediocre baked cod with lentils (green salad extra) whilst I went for the moules mariniere. The actual mussels were OK and was provided a spoon for the liquor, unfortunate then that it was only slightly less salty than the north sea. Did we stay for pud or coffee, well a trip to the late night garage for a mars bar seemed a safer bet. Insult was only added to injury when following payment of the bill we found out that my wife's mother and father had already put £50 on the tab for us to have a good time, luckily they realised this mistake at the end and refunded us the money. Would I recommend the Hotel du vin, I think not.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
    • 1 of 5 bubbles