“£18.00 per person for that!!! Never again...”
Review of Marwell Zoo

Marwell Zoo
Ranked #5 of 68 things to do in Winchester
More attraction details
Owner description: Our 140-acre park is home to an incredible range of exotic and endangered species, in beautiful, landscaped surroundings. Just by visiting Marwell Zoo (owned and operated by conservation charity, Marwell Wildlife) you'll be making a big contribution to our projects to conserve species and habitats, both here in Hampshire and around the world. Look out for Lemur Loop, a new walkthrough exhibit opening summer 2017, plus, The Great Brick Safari: An Interactive Experience with LEGO® Bricks EXCLUSIVE to Marwell Zoo 1 Aug - 1 Oct. Our £15-£19 adult entry fee varies across the year and includes a voluntary donation of around 10%. Please check our website for full ticket prices.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“£18.00 per person for that!!! Never again...”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We went there on a beautiful day so I can't even blame the poor experience on bad weather. If it had been £9.00 per adult I woukd have given it 4 stars...but at £18.00 it's just ridiculous. Few animals, hard to spot, many empty enclosures, no interaction from staff, expensive and poor quality food...can't think of anything that really made me feel good at all for the 5 hours we spent there...if you want to see a zoo, go up to Bristol, long drive but well worth it, or go to Longleat which is even better...but marwell was an expensive waste if a day...

3 Thank Phat13579

• Polish first
Haywards Heath, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“If children under 5 it's hard work.”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

A couple of do nots because whilst the work Marwell is doing is no doubt worthy in their pursuit of being a credible charity they have forgotten some of the basics.
I took my 2 yr old to Marwell and have to say it was really hard work. The walk is long and although the road train trip is fun children want to get as close as they can. Younger guests really aren't catered for, nothing interactive at each enclosure, the restaurants offer really uninspired 'picnic' lunch, the staff ignore many opportunities to inspire or even encourage the next generation, the baby changing facilities are basic and not very clean.
Don't visit early in July as we did s half the park was still being built, the encounter village was a walk through wallaby village which was not particularly appreciated by my toddler, the amount of building mess meant we were often spending a long toddler walk passing nothing. On a hot day the lack of shade is a real problem most of the cafe areas weren't open either.
In all I would leave this zoo until children do it as a school visit as this seems to be the target group.

3 Thank Sarah H
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Marwell”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

great place to take the children, plenty of run around space BUT not much shade, so on hot days don't forget the sun cream. the animals are well looked after, & the breeding programme is working, happy animals have happy young. Keep up the good work,

1 Thank Jan19861959
Hampshire, UK
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Generally good but 2 BIG things are missing”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I've been going to Marwell since I was about 8, now 38, I've taken my son there a couple of times, and it's changed massively, especially over the last 5 years, the park is growing up quickly and the facilities are getting better all the time. but there is 1 thing that bugs me. There are no Elephants or Lions, Now this puzzles me, They have tigers, cheetas, snow leopards, normal leopards, so why no lions? they have Rhinos, giraffes, buffalo, etc so why no elephants, they have the room there as there is alot of badly used space. If someone from Marwell reads this and there is a specific reason i'd love to know why.

They have a nice new restaurant, and there are plenty of green areas to sit and have a picnic, either on the grass or on picnic tables. 2 different trains go round the park, A traditional Mini railway, which costs £2 per person (under 3's free), and bigger one which is a tractor towing passenger carriages.

It can be a long walk around so if your little people get tired easily then best take a buggy or so be prepared to stop every once in a while.

In conclusion, A nice little zoo that's getting better all the time, could it do things better, yep, but so could most zoo's. No real queues to see anything, and its a decent price with more discount if you buy online before hand. Would elephants and lions make it better, YES, that would make it a complete zoo in my opinion, People are saying why give it 4 out of 5 when you say lions and elephants are missing, well because it better than "average" so I marked it up., getting the "big 2" would make it a solid 4.5.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank MikeBuck
MarwellManager, Manager at Marwell Zoo, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. With regards to your question on the absence of elephants and lions, it would be impossible to have every type of species at Marwell Zoo. Currently we do not have the facilities for lions or elephants, and they are not part of our collection plan. It is lovely to hear you have been visiting us since you were a child, and we hope to continue to be able to welcome you regularly in future.
Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Love it”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Been a season ticket holder for 3 year. Take my daughter there regularly. Great selection of animals, and a range of routes around the park, there seem to be new enclosures annually. No two visits are the same. Though they have alot of the crowd pleasures, rhino, tigers, giraffe they also have a number of less known species my favourite bing teh Okapi.

Visited May 2013