“Perfect visit for 3 yr old - shame info desk staff not so helpful”
Review of Marwell Zoo

Marwell Zoo
Ranked #14 of 72 things to do in Winchester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our 140-acre park is home to an incredible range of exotic and endangered species, in beautiful, landscaped surroundings. Just by visiting Marwell Zoo (owned and operated by conservation charity, Marwell Wildlife) you'll be making a big contribution to our projects to conserve species and habitats, both here in Hampshire and around the world. If you're loopy for lemurs, be sure to look out for Lemur Loop. A walkthrough exhibit opened summer 2017. Coming 2018 - At a cost of £7.8M, our new Tropical House will be the largest exhibit ever built at Marwell. Opening at Easter, guests will be free to share the habitat and enjoy views of new, colourful and charismatic mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and insects whilst learning about the flow of energy through life. Keep an eye out for new arrivals throughout the year too! Our £15-19 adult entry fee varies across the year and includes a voluntary donation of around 10%. Please check our website for full ticket prices.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
Reviewed November 12, 2012

pros:
Easy to find.
Ample parking
Very extensive and spacious - bring the scooter to help get around the whole place with the younger kids
Huge range of wildlife
Staff - aside from info desk, v helpful and friendly.
Train ride around the whole park - son loved it. Although surprised they charge £2 pp (over the age of 3) in addition to the entry ticket -which itself is not cheap. Fortunately the driver only charged for one, let my 3.5 yr old get on for free!

Cons:
Food - prices the norm extortionate for theme parks and zoos
Info desk staff: I drove 20 mins from hotel to get there and realized I left my mobile in the hotel room. My son was napping in the pram. I asked to borrow a phone to let my other half know where we were, (he was driving down from london) only to be informed that apparently there are no phones at the zoo at all. I had no choice but to wake my child to put him back in the car to drive back to the hotel to get my mobile and drive back to the zoo again (as I had just purchased tickets). A 40 min round trip, v unhelpful, and I'm quite certain there was a phone ESP in this day and age!!

1  Thank kickkwok
Write a ReviewReviews (2,368)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"great family day"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I visited the park today, 11th November, with a party of teenagers who had decided on Marwell as the birthday treat of choice. The weather was amazing and we all enjoyed the landscape, variety of animals and the helpful ways in which the park is laid out to aid navigation. We found a great indoor picnic space, made use of the tractor ride and found amenities well-placed, well sign-posted and well kept. There have been many developments in the last few years and the park seems to improve as time goes by.
Our visit lasted 5 hours - longer than we had expected to maintain the interest of all party members, but their interest never waned.
A lovely day out with very helpful staff to assist when needed.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

was a nice day out, quite alot of walking and most of the animals are in the distance so couldnt see much, has a free tractor ride around the park which was good, pricce is reasonable,
we spent a good 4-5hours there and enjoyed it

Reviewed November 5, 2012

this is a lovely place to visit with the kiddies , lots of extinct animals or rare ones .... my grandkids and i really loved it !! we willgo again , with our anual pass !!

See more reviews
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Despite the down pour of rain half way through the day, my boyfriend and I had a great day out!
We had a lovely relaxing day strolling around this well laid out zoo, enjoying watching all the animals.
The bats were creepy but interesting and I enjoyed watching the leaf cutter ants walk their super long trail carrying greenery.
The highlight however were the Otters! They were so close you could almost touch them, they were cuddling each other and juggling stones and making the most adorable noises! Almost like meowing and lots of little squeaks.