“A Quaint Experience”
Review of The Wykeham Arms

The Wykeham Arms
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed on a Sunday night so the car park had lots of available spaces. On walking in through from the car park, I found it to be extremely picturesque and quaint. There were plenty of very friendly staff on duty and they wasted no time showing me to my room which was in a building across the street, although literally just a few feet away. I stayed in a single room which was up quite a narrow twisting staircase up on the second floor. The room which had an en-suite shower room was immaculate with a RC TV, Large wardrobe, fridge containing still and sparkling water, coffee, tea, Horlicks, drinking chocolate and biscuits were also laid on complimentary. The bed was very comfortable and there was an iron, ironing board, hair dryer, desk and chair, a guide book of Winchester etc etc. There was a storm blowing on the night of my stay and the window next to the bed might have benefited from some draft excluders, but the room was warm and it caused me no problems really. I could have wanted nothing more in a room to be honest and my room was on the other side of the stairwell from the other room on the second floor, so I felt like I had a lot of privacy. I went down into the gastro-pub type restaurant for my evening meal. The menu was ok, perhaps just a tad pricey (depends what you are into and used to) I had an 8oz rib eye steak with chips, portabello mushroom, cherry tomatoes and bearnaise sauce (£23 I think). The steak was cooked perfectly for my liking and as requested. The dining room was like Indiana Jones' drawing room full of old books and war souvenirs. The dining furniture was very rustic and the crockery and cutlery were like from your Grandmother's welsh dresser but it was incredibly charming and I loved it all! The patrons surrounding me included two rather attractive looking posh spoken couples in their thirties on my left a swarve looking chap eating alone in front of me and a more mature couple seated to my right. The mood was relaxed and happy and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the experience. In the morning, I came down for my complimentary breakfast which was a full English breakfast with toast and coffee or tea and there was also a table set up with danish pastries, fruit juice etc etc. In fact everything you would desire was available. All in all, very friendly and helpful staff, good food, good night's sleep, reasonable prices and a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank monacomarco

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Went to the Wykham Arms restaurant for a meal with my family between Xmas and New Year.

When we were seated and ordered drinks they then told us that all fish was off the menu incl. mussels which was of course what we wanted. Rustic bread - four tiny rolls just defrosted from Iceland store!

The starters were poor incl. shriveled burnt scallops (3) and over cooked wood pigeon slices resembled more shoe leather. 3 times fried chips all from a frozen pack (a hand full) each

Main course the dishes were not hot but only just warm, broccoli overcooked and duck leg swimming in beans / sauce

Although the pub is great with a good atmosphere, all in all won't ever eat there again and would not recommend the restaurant!

Room Tip: Don,t eat in the restaurant unless you have to!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Jon H, General Manager at The Wykeham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Hello David

I am sorry you had a poor experience at the Wykeham. Each year we have a new learning curve at Christmas, and this year it was that the fishmarkets close for an extraordinary amount of time. A contingency to this for next year is in place.
We are a business that is heavy on humans, and as such we make mistakes from time to time. It is clear that we have done so in this case, and I would ask that you do not give up on us, but give us the opportunity to make things right. Please contact me directly at wykehamarms.manager@fullers.co.uk so that I may offer a suitable solution.
FInally my apologies again. I am sure this has left a bad taste (pardon the pun), but I am sure we can change your mind if given the opportunity.

Best regards

Jon Howard

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night just before Christmas, it was very busy buzzing with Christmas drinkers. We ate both lunch and dinner here and the food was excellent, the staff, without exception, were fabulous. Our only complaint was the housekeeping which left much to be desired, we appreciate that on old building such as this is a cleaning nightmare but it was quite grubby and clearly our room hadn't been prepared, no hairdryer or toilet paper!

Room Tip: excellent location, a spring clean would make it perfect
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Arrived Saturday morning for the night to visit Xmas market. Had a quick drink in the pub by the fire before we ventured out this was at 11am and it was starting to get busy even then ! Came back around 3.30 whereby the pub was packed but great atmosphere. We booked dinner luckily enough as when we came down to meet our friends at the bar it was heaving. Dinner was in a room above the bar although I think I would have preferred to be in the restaurant downstairs for the atmosphere - other than that everything was good, food, room was great was in The Hamilton, and staff very friendly. As mentioned we have booked for next year ;)))

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We booked an evening at the Wykeman Arms in the center of the old town of Winchester UK. This is a quaint old English pub and bed and breakfast with 14 rooms. We stayed in the Nelson Room which is right above the pub. The room is richly decorated in the old English style at the turn of the 1900's. The bathroom is completely modern. We also booked a dinner reservation at the pub. This is not pub food and it is over priced for the value. The breakfast is a classic "Full English" and was outstanding. Note that the beer at the pub is first rate. The location of the Wykeham Arms is right next to the Winchester College and the Winchester Cathedral which is really great for touring and very convenient. Be advised there is no parking....so take the train to Winchester.

Room Tip: Ask for the Nelson room....great 4 poster bed.....modern bathroom....
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Enjoy some oldy worldly charm in the heart of Winchester. A big, warm and welcoming pub with plenty of history in it's walls. We stayed overnight in a four poster bedded room which was extremely comfortable and atmospheric. Breakfast was an unhurried and pleasant way to start the day. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Parking is not difficult, just crowded but once there, you don't need your car anyway so it's fine to leave the keys with the staff to move the car if necessary. We spent a couple of hours supping some excellent local ales. Would thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: They were all unique and very lovely
Reviewed December 13, 2013

From the time we arrived we loved the Wykeham Arms, the staff were really wonderful and could not be more helpful and our room the Hamilton was just wonderful, very comfortable and considering it was above a pub it was very peaceful.
The bar and restaurant were also amazing, good beer and we had a very good meal in the restaurant, the whole thing was enjoyable and I fail to understand how you could not like the Wykeham Arms, we will be back.
Thought I should add this was our first visit to Winchester, especially for the christmas Market and what an amazing place this city is, well worth a special trip.

1  Thank Nickguest1