“inadequate misdescribed food, but good service, complaint well handled.”
Review of The Wykeham Arms

The Wykeham Arms
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Ware, United Kingdom
“inadequate misdescribed food, but good service, complaint well handled.”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

On a long journey we stopped at Winchester having booked ahead for lunch by mobile at the Wykeham arms, based on 'highly thought of food ' review in the Good pub Guide. How wrong! We had looked forward to a traditional roast and ordered the roast beef for £15. It came with one thick slice of completely raw beef which may have been shown an oven for 5mins as there was a 1mm brown strip around the edge. The small jug of gravy when poured over it did not change the bluey red colour in the least so the gravy was clearly not hot (neither was the beef) and one taste of the beef convinced me that it was tough so asking for it to be cooked further would only toughen it more. The manager was very helpful, we were offered the choice of reheating or choose another dinner but looking at the menu we had lost confidence in any other choice (no other sliced roast meat available and anyway there were so few veg - 3 tiny cut up pieces of under roasted potato, 3 or 4 tiny baby carrots and no more than half a dozen matchstick thin beans. Only the yorkshire was a halfway decent size. Very poor value for money. I was so disappointed and embarrassed that I had had to complain that we opted to leave. To her credit the manager accepted this and didn't charge us at all, even for our red wine (which we had only lightly sipped as we were saving it for the roast beef to arrive!) We went back into the town centre to the William Walker and had a wonderful dinner of beautifully cooked roast chicken, gravy, lots of fresh carrot batons, lots of fresh green beans , a good helping of green cabbage and lots of delicious herby roasted new potatoes for just £9. Why can't the Wykeham Arms do that?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 16, 2013

First off, I can only speak to the pub/restaurant, as my husband and I stayed elsewhere in Winchester. As for the pub, the atmosphere is fantastic, and the beer delicious and refreshing. The food was fine, not exceptional, but fine, although a bit overpriced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Foster City, California, USA
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Wykeham Arms was a delightful place to stay and also to eat. We had a room in the Annex, and the staff was very helpful with our bags. Room was quiet, and pub was very friendly. Breakfast very good, and dinners reasonably priced. Location was excellent, central but quiet. We traveled to Winchester from Heathrow by National Express Bus, a quick and inexpensive way to get around, then rented car for a day in Winchester.Lots to see near Winchester. Really enjoyed walk to Hospital St Cross (beautiful old buildings and garden). Romsey Abbey very good Norman Church, Abbey Mottisfort (National Trust) garden had marvelous roses in early July, and village of Nether Wallop, where Miss Marple is filmed, is charming.

Room Tip: Annex especially quiet. Top room has fine view of Winchester College.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I write this slightly disappointed and regretting not booking the hotel du vin and saved myself £30 so with this in mind maybe my review is slightly skewed by my uber high expectations and the cost for one night being £159 ! I was expecting a totally unique quirky pub but although the pub is sort of like this the rooms which are not cheap are quite ordinary . We were originally booked in the wolvesley be warned if you book a luxury double on booking. Com which says ' comes with a Victorian bath ' this is not true and what you get is a standalone shower no bath . This may suit some people but I have to have a bath also the room I felt was small and dark and all I could hear was someone coughing in the pub below ! you can hear everything !after some debate we were moved to ' street 'which was across the road in a separate building, this room is much brighter and nicer with a bath ! I said to the guy that i had emailed a few days earlier (no response whatsoever ) Asking for non allegenic bedfung he replied confidently that all of the was non allergenic unfortunately on retiring I found all the pillows had feathers in so had to fashion my own pillows out of some cushions I had found - not great ! Also the bathroom door was stuck and you needed 2 people to open it although the guy recognised this noone came to fix it . This all created quite a bad initial impression .The breakfast the next day was great , lots of choice like pancakes or a fry up and a buffet with help yourself breakfast -this was amazing . The coffee though was brought in individual cups which was strange . We ate dinner in the restaurant which was a bit hit and miss our table was next to a corridor used constantly by people heading to the garden or toilets . Every time the toilets were used a burst of lemon loo freshener would burst out literally coating your tongue between bites - not nice . My soup was nice my lamb main course consisted of a rack of lamb consisting of two tiny rabbit like chops but the cheese board was nice albeit tiny . I had a 10£ off voucher this made the price I think more suitable !i wish the dinner was as good as the breakfast ! Mixed feelings we stayed then at the old vine which I personally preferred .

• Stayed August 2013
Jon H, General Manager at The Wykeham Arms, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Wimblewombler

I was sorry to read of your experience here at The Wykeham Arms. I can tell you that the descriptor on Booking.com is being changed as we speak, the soundproofing of Wolvesey bedroom is due to be completed before the end of the month, and the door in Street has been fixed. I appreciate your feedback, I am only sorry that you had to experience such a comedy of errors. I also welcome all feedback good or bad in regards of the menu. We are constantly changing our offer in line with seasons, and guest comments. So I was pleased to read that our breakfast offer met with favour, but work to be done on our dinner menu. In any case please accept my apologies. I would grrateful, if you have the chance to return, to contact me on wykehamarms.manager@fullers.co.uk so as I may arrange an upgrade and discount to make up for your dissapointing trip.

Best regards

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Wykeham Arms is a cosy pub and a great place to stay in Winchester. Rooms are beautifully decorated and have a really nice atmosphere. The pub itself is equipped with an excellent restaurant which serves up great food, a nice breakfast and some good ales as well.

Overall Wykeham arms deserves the highest recommendation possible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sunnepede

This is brilliant feedback, greatfully received. Don't foret to claim your 10% off the standard room rate on your next visit, and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Warm regards

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We celebrated our anniversary here with a meal, and were very disappointed. Service was incredibly slow (40 minutes for water and bread) and one of our meals turned up without it’s key ingredient, which was replaced after the meal was finished with a bowl of onions! We are local to the Wykeham Arms, and wrote to he landlord to note our disappointment, and he didn’t even bother to respond. If this is how they treat the locals I dread to think how tourists fare.
Overall; Very expensive, with poor service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jon s
Jon H, Manager at The Wykeham Arms, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Jon S

I am very surprised to see that you have not received my response. I can promise I had wrote and sent it shortly after your visit. I really hope you will come back and try us again. Please contact me at the hotel on wykehamarms.manager@fullers.co.uk and I will re-semd my apology and explanation.

Warm Regards

Toronto, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed for two nights in the 'Street' room at the beginning of our UK driving holiday. Free off street parking was available at the back of the pub. The people working there were lovely, helpful and chatty. The Street room was beautiful (I particularly loved the bathroom!) and looked out over the pub from the other side of the road. A brief walk takes you to Winchester Cathedral and Jane Austen's final residence is just around the corner. The Wykeham Arms serves excellent food with a good range of breakfast options for people staying in the rooms and the dinner service. The stay was a bit pricer than other inns on our trip, but I felt it was worth it for the quality of the rooms, attention to detail (complimentary beer in the fridge) and great food.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple