“Overpriced”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Six of us visited last Saturday after spending the early evening at the wonderful Xmas Market. This has now become a yearly tradition but alas will be the final year. Has now become so overpriced that it is ridiculous , they need to remember that this is a pub and you do not get the service that should go with these prices! Portions are also very small. We also all froze, I guess due to location of our table. However, the final straw came when our bill was presented which included 10% service charge. We divided this three ways which resulted in the total amount being short by a few pennies. The waiter was very rude in asking for this, I did remind him that this charge was discretionary and being a few pence short not a problem ! I wish now that I had cancelled the transactions and paid no service at all !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Southampton
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Hi ! Wykeham is not new for me, as I've visited the restaurant for last 30 years and every time I visit Winchester I always head for this welcoming place. I found food always good and consistent. Equally I've used the pub for some of my foreign guests many a times and they have always been well impressed with the service, quality of food and polite staff. Good luck for 2013
Marthita Chippendale - Hampshire UK

Room Tip: No opinion on sleep, rooms, fitness or spa as I've not experienced these services.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Canterbury, Kent
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This was my second visit to The Wykeham Arms and I wasn't disappointed on my return
The staff were just as friendly, and to walk into a very quirky bar in December to find three open fires was very welcoming! The rooms are very comfortable and the complimentary water and beer a nice touch. The bathroom was very well appointed and I must find a supplier for their soap which is the most luxurious I have ever used! It is located in the oldest part of Winchester just moments from The Cathedral and we very much enjoyed the Christmas Market. It was only a few moments on to the Main Street which was looking very festive and is very full of both high street brands and little individual shops. Breakfast was very fresh and again it felt like Christmas having smoked salmon and scrambled egg - yummy! In all we and our friends who also very much enjoyed their stay would recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying again!

Room Tip: We stayed across the street which we felt would be quieter than above the bar.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dawson24
Halesworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Wyekham Arms, to visit Winchester & the Christmas Fair, we used to live nearby so it was a visit back to old haunts for my daughter & I. We had a room in the main pub which suprisingly quiet, the food was very good, however I would advise that you book to eat as the place seemed to be fully booked every night & we had to be squeezed in if possible or wander off elsewhere.
Our room had the most stunning bathroom off it, unfortunately it was inadequately heated so fine once you jumped into a piping hot bath but not before!
We had some issues with the pillows only to discover that 2 tired pillows had been put into 1 pillow case to make 1 very hard pillow, that explained the 'tombstone' pillows that had marred my sleep for the first 2 nights.
The parking, given there are, I think, 14 rooms is very limited and the staff valiantly move cars around to let you out when blocked in so its pretty grim. If like me you are disabled you need to consider your arrival time & get parked up!
The staff were very friendly and helpful despite being busy.

Room Tip: No fitness centre clicked in error
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Painswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

A very busy Pub. We had booked for lunch, and were surprised how busy it was, with tables in clusters spread throughout the Pub. The food was very delicious, served by charming staff. If you're visiting Winchester, strongly recommend a visit, but do book if you plan to dine.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 20H
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My friend and I travelled to the Wykeham Arms for the weekend and had a fantastic time, worth the stay. The food was out of this world and the rooms were a home from home (I even had my own cuddly bear). Upon check in Alex took our bags to our room, he was very pleasent and able to recommend local attractions, one being the christmas market. Our evening meal was to die for, I have never tasted anything like it. Hats off to Adam and Andy "irish" for our meal, you guys did a great job. The staff were friendly and welcoming and more than happy to help us in any way. All in all it was a great weekend and I would happily recommend the Wykeham Arms to all my friends.
Many thanks guys, Lora Thompson

Room Tip: The Kelsey suite, thats the place to be!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Delabole, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We spent quite a bit of time reviewing tripadvisor before booking a overnight stay in Winchester recently. We opted for a stay here as reviews always seemed pretty consistently high and the venue ticked a lot of boxes for us in terms of apparent ambience, location, parking and food. Our timing of the visit was perfect as, unknown to us, the day of our arrival saw the start of the Christmas market at the Cathedral, which was a 3 minute walk away.

We opted for a 'superior room' and despite the corridors to the rooms being a little 'pub like', the room was amazing. Certainly on a par with a proper 'stand alone' hotel. Room facilities included very good quality bed linen, a very comfy bed, flatscreen TV, a fridge (with beers in!), and a brilliant bathroom. The hotel/pub is very old and creaky and the rooms are probably all unique therefore. Ours had a historic fireplace in the bedroom and bathroom. The rolltop bath was lovely but impractical for those wanting a shower as the curtain didn't fit the bath properly.

Other nice touches were nice toiletories in the bathroom, and even a book on a stand across the old rolltop bath. Nice. Room was also very warm, and despite being above a noisy pub...were actually really quiet to external noise apart from a drunk (and 'awfully posh') student outside at midnight. I was woken early the next morning by very noisy bin men downstairs as well (I noticed somebody else commented on a similar issue) but really, the streets outside are very thin and sound does carry. It'd probably be an annoyance if we spent more than a night there to be honest.

My only 2 x gripes...breakfast was 7.30am - 9.30am. A bit too early for some if they enjoyed the bar hospitality downstairs the night before as we did....;0) And in terms of food...very nice, if not slightly costly, BUT...when ordering a starter for £8, I expect more than half a meatball and a few leaves, despite how well made it may be!

Room Tip: It's only a tenner more for a superior room...I'd pay it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple