“I would like to see the rooms that are shown on the official website.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marwell Hotel

You added Marwell Hotel to your Saves list
Marwell Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thompsons Lane | Colden Common, Winchester SO21 1JY, England   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Southampton, United Kingdom
“I would like to see the rooms that are shown on the official website.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I would not say boutique! The room we were given £89 for one nite with breakfast was a bit if a shock. The bathroom was not clean or well maintained stains on much if the suite. Bed had not been made well or to any hotel standard, the carpet was well I did not want to take my shoes off put it that way. We stayed on a fri at around 7 a wedding party arrived which we thought was quite cute till you realise unless you want to go and sit in the official more expensive Resturant you are taken over by wedding party, we left to go eat in little pub up road which was lovely home cooked food sign posted at end of hotel drive. On returning although wedding party had a hired room with own bar and disco a lot of the guests were at the hotel bar so getting a drink was tricky and a waiting game, also the lounge area had been taken over so there was actually no where for a normal paying guest to go sit quietly. Although nice to see wedding party having photos and listen to loud chatting and lots of children it did feel like you were intruding someone's special event. For this reason although ground pretty with some lovely walks I would not go again. Also jacuzzi was so old not all the jets worked and lots if stains due to age. Boutique means to me good eye to detail little touches made this was not the case for us at all. Breakfast nice good choice but not very hot.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
portsmouth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

This was our second time at this hotel. The first time was perfect, hence our return visit.

The room we were given this time was atrocious. The bathroom was disgusting and so old that I wouldn't have had a bath if I'd have been paid to do so.

Unfortunately, that was only the start of the issues. Upon our arrival, with my 8 months pregnant fiancée I may add, a wedding party was taking up the entire frontage smoking. For a high end hotel to allow guests to arrive to that is unacceptable but no provisions had been made for smokers so therefore we suffered.

The staff this time were rude, clueless and unhelpful. Trying to get them to do anything was impossible so in the end we gave up.

I have to say the restuarant, The Dining Room, is classy and saved our trip!!! The food is quite simply stunning. I had the pigeon starter and I thoroughly recommend it.

Our meal was, however, spoiled when the restaurant manageress insisted that the two course meal we paid for as part of the deal to stay this evening was the main course and dessert..... Starters were extra..... At no time in the booking process or the advert was this stated. When we complained, once again the incompetent staff pushed us from pillar to post until I once again insisted to my rather angry pregnant woman that we just give up, pay the money and write a letter of complaint to someone that may have a modicum of customer service within them.

The misery was compounded just after checking out when we discovered that at the time. We booked they were in the middle of an offer that gave room, dinner and zoo tickets for half the price that we paid just for bed and breakfast..... Yet the bungling staff had once again failed to do their job properly and sell us the product we asked for.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank villafan82

Travelers are raving about these Winchester hotels

Andover, Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

What can I say? Had the most AMAZING food with the BEST Service ever. The Chef has been allowed to express their talent. And , expression was the word. From my Tomato Velluti to , Beef Tournedo with Ox faggat , finishing with the sensational Soux Chefs vision of Eton Mess.... WOW! the room could have been cooler :( as there was NO air circulation or Air conditioning :( But , the Staff? ALL the Staff were attentive , polite and very professional. Special thanks to the Receptionist "Hannah" at times , possibly too much left on her own :( along with Vanessa in the Restaurant who were both wonderful. Look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Watch for "Superior rooms on their own website. Sadly, what you see is NOT necessarily anything...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
seaford, east sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

A very nice hotel, clean and welcoming. Loved the location, set in a beautiful rural area, making you feel like you are nestled in a forest.
The rooms are clean and bright and well maintained
Food is very good
A couple of things on the downside;
we stayed for a couple of nights, with a lot of members of our family, spread out throughout the hotel for my parents Golden wedding anniversary.
firstly, on the first morning, we were initially woken very early in the morning, by someone banging on the room next door, then stood in their door way talking loudly :/
then shortly after we arose (around 8.30am) without knocking on the door, the chamber maid just walked in (luckily we had something on) and then left when she saw us. (there had been no door handle notice available for 'do not disturb', although i asked them at reception for one, we never received one), so that night i made my own and hung it on the handle outside.
secondly, there is quite a mix of European nationalities working there and i found the british were very professional, polite, friendly and always smiling but the rest of the staff were just 'professional' , the main waitress in the morning, who saw us to our table, was positively brash and rude , a lot of work on their people skills wouldnt go amiss.
But i was determined it wouldnt ruin our stay there and it didnt, it is a lovely hotel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Warsash
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My son turned 18 this year and we decided to throw a family party. However, once we had added up the number of uncles and aunts etc., we realised we needed somewhere bigger than our house, and settled on the Marwell Hotel.

From start to finish, the staff couldn't have been friendlier, or more helpful.

Check in early? Not a problem, but if the room isn't ready, why not let the kids use the pool or the play areas until it is.

The food was stunning. We ordered a beef wellington, which is a family favorite my mother makes. I was a bit worried about this, but need not have been. Very tender, and full of flavour.

Overall, great value for money, and we can't recommend it highly enough.

The bar stays open until you leave, (dangerous) and the breakfast the following morning is a bid buffet, with lovely local meats.

We really could not fault the stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris M
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed for one night on my way to the Isle of Wight on business. It's in very remote location but having said that only 10 or 15 minutes from J11 of the M3 near Winchester. The building is set around a central reception with corridors running in different directions to remote cabins. The room was very clean if a little basic but the bathroom was well furnished and whilst the shower had piping hot water it was a little 'weak'. Free WiFi to the room which was good but no aircon so it was a bit warm. On arrival the welcome was warm and friendly however the highlight for me was the food. Being on my own I didn't want to eat in the restaurant so I ordered from the bar menu and had the beer battered cod, mushy peas, triple cooked chips and homemade tartar sauce - ten out of ten, unbelievably good for a remote, mid-sized hotel. The main menu had some really interesting dishes on it and if it was anything like my meal from the bar menu then it should be extremely good indeed. The hotel itself was a little old fashioned but was very busy. The room rate was £74 (including breakfast) and the food including a pint and a glass of wine was just under £20. Unfortunately I couldn't stay for breakfast as I had to leave before service began.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Cromer, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed at the Marwell Hotel last Thursday night and dined in the restaurant.
A very unusual layout/constructed hotel but no complaints, staff great and very helpful
Dinner was exceptional, overseen and attended by the Maitre De (French) a very knowledgeable and attentive man. We were the first to dine and the last to leave as there was a wedding in progress in the function room
Full marks to all of the staff.

Room Tip: Room 105 very quiet!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winchester
The Winchester Hotel & spa
Premier Inn Winchester Hotel
#4 of 13 in Winchester
4.5 of 5 stars 416 reviews
Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel

Been to Marwell Hotel? Share your experiences!