“Wedding party”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Yorkshire
“Wedding party”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed the night as attending the evening party for a wedding.
Reception staff very very helpful on arrival, did ask if I needed help with my cases to my room, as there is not lift, quite a long walk, as the hotel is like a series of wooden cabins, set around central corridors.
I was situated on the first floor, my room was quite dark overlooked other rooms and quite a wild garden, had a balcony running the length of the rooms, which was really a fire escape.
The rooms were very seventy, the bathroom was quite dated and the shower over the bath, did not work very well but the bed was very comfortable.
Even though there were quite a few people staying there it was very quite.
The breakfast was good with plenty of choice, it was mainly a cooked buffet style breakfast.
Overall I thought it was good value for money and ideal for a couple of nights stay, to visit the zoo and local areas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
MarwellHotel, Business development manager at Marwell Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear MasieYorkshire,

Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Marwell Hotel. I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us.

It is a pleasure to hear that you found the reception staff to be very helpful and that they offered you help in taking your luggage to your room.

We are currently undertaking refurbishments of our bedrooms, and have so far completed 10 to a very high standard. To reduce the impact this has on our guests, the refurbishment is being completed in stages. I would certainly recommend one of our executive bedrooms if you stay with us again.

I am pleased to hear that your bed was comfortable and your room was quiet – we consistently receive both of these comments in feedback and I am happy that our guests enjoy a quiet night’s sleep with us.

I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with our breakfast, and that the food offered consisted of plenty of choice. We receive lots of positive feedback on the quantity and quality of our breakfast, and I will be sure to pass your comments on to our kitchen team.

Thank you again for your comments, and I do hope we may welcome you back to Marwell Hotel again soon.

Charlotte Troester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
cirencester
Reviewed June 6, 2013

our visit was great from start to finish. efficient friendly reception, quick check in. superior room like living in the woods, in a lovely cabin.very comfy beds nice bathroom missing an iron although there was an ironing board.lovely to wake up to the green woodlands.food fabulous, staff attentive and helpfull. breakfast was impressive. nothing more could have been on offer.would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxed break. the pool was a big bonus, with jaccuzi and sauna.

Room Tip: would recommend a superior room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear michaelrosy,

It is a pleasure to hear that the staff you encountered during your stay were attentive, friendly and helpful.

I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with our breakfast, and that the food offered was of a high standard. We receive lots of positive feedback on the quantity and quality of our breakfast, and I will be sure to pass your comments on to our kitchen team.

I am sorry to hear an iron was not provided in your bedroom. We do have spare irons available at reception. I have requested our housekeeping team check the bedrooms to ensure irons are provided in all rooms.

Thank you again for your comments, and I do hope we may welcome you back to Marwell Hotel soon.

Ruckersville, VA
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is at the entrance to the zoo. The only way you could be closer would be to in the animal enclosures! Jenna, at the front desk, was an absolute gem. We arrived early and were able to check in, as our room was ready - kudos to housekeeping! We had a couple of issues with the room - out of tissue and leak under the sink - and they were both fixed while we were having a bite to eat in the lounge. The service in the lounge was slow, but the food was great. Our room was too warm when we arrived, but the radiator in the room is adjustable, so we turned it down. The breakfast was more than adequate with a variety of cereal and fruit, a variety of breads, plus full hot breakfast, and if that wasn't enough you can order eggs benedict and other made to order dishes for a small upcharge. All in all we had a great two-night stay.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have trouble with stairs ask for a first floor room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear cbeeperson,

Many thanks for your feedback; I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Marwell Hotel.

I have passed your compliments on to our reception and housekeeping team, and am pleased to hear you were able to access your room early.

My apologies in regards to the missing tissues and leak in the bathroom, but I am pleased we were able to fix these issues for you promptly, without imposing. I am sorry to hear the temperature of your room was too warm when you arrived. All of our radiators can be individually controlled, so guests can adjust the heating to a temperature they are comfortable with.

I am delighted to hear the food you sampled whilst staying with us was great, and that you had an enjoyable breakfast. We receive lots of positive feedback on the quantity and quality of our breakfast, and I will be sure to pass your comments on to our kitchen team.

Thank you again for your feedback; and I do hope we may welcome you back to Marwell Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

After a fantastic day at marwell zoo we booked into the hotel and all I can say is it was amazing , it was like having a cabin in the woods. We had dinner in the dining room and the food was out of this world and worth the price.
Our room was close to a wedding happening close by and when the Pattio doors were closed we couldn't here anything.
The only down side was the air con in the room was a little noisy but didn't stop us enjoying every moment at marwell hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Staceylo,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback; I am delighted to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us.

We have recently been awarded two AA rosettes in our dining room, and the quality of our food is of utmost importance to us, so I am delighted by your wonderful comments. I have passed your feedback onto our executive chef.

I am pleased to hear that you were not affected by the noise from the wedding, and that the wedding party did not impact on your stay in any way.

Thank you again; I do hope we may welcome you back to Marwell for future stays.

Hastings, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed here for one night, really child friendly, full use of the swimming pool, breakfast was fab, rooms a bit dated but clean with everything you need, would recommend to family and friends.we also visited the zoo next foot which was lovely

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Melanie W,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Marwell Hotel. I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay.

We are a family friendly hotel, and welcome children and families of all ages, so I am pleased to hear you would recommend us to family and friends.

I am delighted you were able to make use of our leisure facilities during your stay.

We receive excellent feedback regarding our breakfast here at Marwell, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast at the hotel.

Again thank you for your feedback, and I do hope we may welcome you back to Marwell Hotel soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Booked to stay before a morning visit to the zoo.

Inclusive dinner options were very limited. Staff in the restaurant tried hard but service was unfortunately poor - not knowing the menu components, waiting more than half an hour for our food, small portions so we had to fill up on bread, poor communication between staff, etc.

Breakfast was very average - limited to one small croissant between the two of us, no slimmed milk available, etc...

Main issue was the unbearably hot room on a night when temperatures were forecast to drop to 7/8 degrees! We couldn't open the window with the curtains closed and it opened onto a fire escape staircase so it didn't feel secure to leave it open over night. There was a fan supplied but this was noisy and just recirculated the hot air. We had hardly any sleep and the receptionist seemed disinterested when we reported our problems to her the next morning... Something needs to happen if we ever get the summer we all hope for!

The location is brilliant for visiting the zoo and the setting of the hotel is beautiful but we were disappointed with our hotel stay.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Saywhatithink
Dear Saywhatithink.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here at Marwell Hotel.

I am sorry to hear your stay with us was less than satisfactory.

I am sorry to hear you have not received our usual high standard of customer services from the staff you have encountered. Please be assured I have forwarded your comments on to our food and beverage team to ensure all members of staff are confident in our new menu. Our a la carte menu has been more extensive in the past; however we found many guests were ordering the same items from the menu, so we have reduced the variety of options available slightly.

Our breakfast is buffet style, and I am sorry to hear you were not provided with the correct quantities of food for your party. My apologies you were not made aware of this, and more croissants should have been provided for you.

I am sorry to hear that your bedroom was unbearably hot. All bedrooms have radiators that can be controlled individually, and turned off if required. Whilst our doors do open onto a fire escape, they can be locked whilst open for security purposes. My apologies if this was not explained to you.

I do hope we may welcome you back to Marwell Hotel in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Charlotte Troester

Travelers are raving about these Winchester hotels

Boston
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed in room 407 for 3 days in May. The room was a little grubby and dark, the bathroom most definitely unclean with a urine smell. The bathroom floor was dirty and the soap holders disgustingly dirty underneath. Toilet was never bleached during our stay nor were soap remains removed from the holders. Two pillows each were provided but all were very lumpy.
The bar food was ok but the restaurant menu was not fitting for the hotel as it is limited to food most people do not eat everyday i.e. game, offal cuts etc. It was alos poorly presented and cooked.Breakfast was average. Waiting staff in the morning were polite but the odd smile would not go a miss. Waitng staff in the evening were definitely lacking experience e.g. did not make you feel welcome, hair overhanging food and lack of knowledge of dishes on the menu.
Most suprising was that I was made to pay for my rooms and standard cost of meals when I arrived. I queried this and was told it was because many people did not wish to pay. This should have made me wary and question why people did not wish to pay but of course I understand now. Corridors were cold and the room had to be heated by a celing mounted convector heater. Lesson learned -Do NOT stay at the Marwell Hotel again!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Onmyhols6,

I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your recent stay here at Marwell Hotel.

Please accept my apologies in regards to the cleanliness of your room. I am surprised to hear the bathroom was not cleaned to our usual standards, and that you felt there was such an unpleasant odour present.

I have passed your comments on to our housekeeping department. Our head housekeeper has informed me that we do change towels and freshen the rooms on a daily basis; however, bed linen is changed on the third night of a guests stay. This is something that will be reviewed to ensure a high level of cleanliness throughout our guests stay.

I am sorry to hear your dining experience here at Marwell was less than satisfactory. In our dining room we offer fine dining options from our a la carte menu. I am sorry to hear you have not received our usual high standard of customer services from the staff you have encountered – we normally receive such positive feedback regarding our staff, which you will see from other reviews on this site. Please be assured I have forwarded your comments on to our food and beverage team to ensure this does not happen in the future.

We have recently changed our policy, and like many other hotels now take payment on arrival. My apologies you were told this was because people did not pay, as this is not the reason we take payment on arrival. We take payment on arrival to ensure a smooth and efficient check out, and based on previous customer requests and feedback.

I am sorry to hear you felt your room was heated unsatisfactorily. All bedrooms have radiators, which can be adjusted in the room based on your heating preference. If this still does not heat the room to a suitable temperature, reception are able to provide floor standing heaters on request. My apologies if this was not explained to you during your stay.

Again, please accept my apologies that your stay was unsatisfactory. I do hope you may return to Marwell to enable us to restore your faith in our usual high standards.

Thank you for your constructive feedback.