“Thoroughly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bengal Sage - CLOSED

The Bengal Sage
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: One of HARDENS Top 10 Indian Restaurants in the UK! Hardens: "For a 'seriously good curry', head to this 'consistently outstanding' Indian two-year-old, unanimously hailed for its 'very creative', 'locally sourced and delicious' cuisine"
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Visited the Bengal Sage with a group of colleagues and enjoyed an excellent meal. Fairly small restaurant but very comfortable with a pleasant atmosphere and friendly welcome. The menu is incredibly varied ranging from traditional Indian curry dishes to locally sourced venison! All of the dishes we chose were delicious and were generous portions. Reasonably priced for a very nice restaurant I would recommend for any occasion groups or cosy meal.

Robertsbridge, United Kingdom
“A trip here is well advised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I visited the Bengal Sage after reading some excellent reviews on TripAdvisor.... I wasn't disappointed at all. The restaurant has a pleasant decor. The service throughout was very good. Not over intrusive, but attentive where necessary. Then comes the food.... my girlfriend had the onion bhaji for starter, and I had the sheek kebab. The bhaji was perfect. Very light, and not oily as you find in some places. The sheek kebab was very nicely seasoned and flavoured.
The mains we had were the Sage Goat and the Lamb Suruchi. The goat was extremely good. A nice medium dish and very tender meat which I would recommend to anyone looking to try something slightly different. The Lamb Suruchi (which when I requested, had spiced up a bit to my taste) was superb. The lamb just melted in my mouth, and the mint went perfectly (as anyone who likes a roast would know!). There is quite a lot of mint though, so if you're not overly keen on mint it might not be for you. I would also recommend the naan bread as it was probably as good as I've had before.
All in all, the meal was pretty much perfect, so if like us, you're in Winchester for an evening, I'd highly recommend paying a visit here!
There was a group of very noisy and overexcited teenage girls which did unfortunately take the pristine shine of an otherwise excellent evening, but the staff did apologise for this and not much can be done about this which is why I'm not letting this affect my ratings.

Winchester
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The title says it all. The food is absolutely stunning and we've never been let down by the service.

Try the Goose - yep! GOOSE!!!

Norwich
“Best Curry I've Ever Had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Visited the restaurant with my Girlfriend on Valentines Day and we were both very impressed.
Service was good - and the food was top notch, plus It's not that expensive either.
Definitely worth the journey if you don't live nearby.

We parked directly behind the High Street and didn't have any problems - There are a couple of car parks nearby however I'm not sure if these operate after 6pm. My advice would be leave a tad earlier, and I'm sure you'll find a side street to park down like we did.... Unless you get the train!

All in all very impressed - will definitely eat there again and recommend to others.

winchester
“Best Indian food around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

An interesting and thoughtful menu with all dishes cooked to order. This is very far from the usual slop dished up by most Indian restaurants. We did not have a disappointing dish but the particular stars for me were the scallops, stuffed baby squid and the rack of lamb. We thought that this restaurant was right up there with some of the best and good value for money. We will be going back very soon.