“Not the best but not bad!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel

Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Not the best but not bad!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed here for three nights and found it ok! The food was average and the rooms small but I have stayed in worse.
The staff were over worked but friendly.
This hotel is in a fantastic position in front of the most wonderful Cathedral!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paul W
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Deart PaulW, Thank you very much for posting your review.It is pleasing to hear that our team are always friendly even when thay are at their busiest, thanks for letting us know. Its hard to disagree with your comments regarding our position with unique views over the Cathedral and grounds. Pleas do come back and experience it agin. Kind regards, William McWilliam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

I tried to book the hotel on booking.com but realised that it was £20 more than laterooms. I wrote a quick email to them asking that if I arrived that afternoon, could they honour the laterooms price and I was paying cash. I ALSO explained that the stay was a surprise for my BF and it would be most appreciated to have a lovely room. (I travel alot and often get offered a complimentary upgrade if the hotel isn't at capacity and has a room at their discretion)
Upon arrival I was asked if I wanted to upgrade for £20 to a room with Cathederal view (great little upsell for extra revenue) I asked wheat the difference was and was told that it was only the Cathederal view so declined. They then tried to upsell breakfast "if you pre pay now its only £10 per person but if you decide in the morning to have breakfast it's £15.95 OUTRAGEOUS! Then there's another hidden cost in car parking which is no less than chaotic. Check in took 25 minutes and I had to sit down and wait for their system to reboot...wasn't even offered a cup of tea.
We found the room satisfactory apart from no plug sockets near the bed (everyone needs to charge their phone near the bed) the lighting was awful, especially as I was trying to do make up for a night out. The room was really quite cold, dusty and musty and the bathroom needs a good going over with something like viakal. These minor things are only picked up on when theres a problem and our problem started at 05.30 the next morning.
The banging, crashing, shouting and lorry engine noises went on and on and on. Reception were amazingly dismissive but they knew damn well that there is ALWAYS weekend early noise as another member of staff filled us in before we left.

We had a late night and wanted to enjoy a lie in before spending the day in Winchester. The fact we only had 4 hours sleep just ruined our day but then to add insult to injury, the reply I received from The same rude man who checked us in was less than satisfactory and I am still waiting for Accor guest services to "investigate"

Over all this could be a fantastic hotel with the right staff and honest up sells. I have stayed in Winchester since and have found a great hotel so my advise is to research before you book.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SerenityIsMine
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear ClarenceofKent,Thank you posting your comments. I am sorry to learn of the disturbace that you experienced early in the morning. Please accept my apologies. I am sorry that were unable to offer you the complimentary upgrade that you wanted but pleased that we were able to meet your budget by offering the lower prepaid rate you saw on laterooms rather than the fully flexible rate on the other website. This rate would normally be closed out 3 days before arrival date.
We believe our upsells are as honest and transparent as the the prepaid room rates we offer . Many of our guests are delighted to be offered a discount on standard pricing by booking services in advance which can represent some very good savings.
You are mistaken to state that car park charges are hidden. Our car park facilities are all indicated as chargeable on the websites you viewed prior to booking direct with us, on signs in the car park and again at the reception desk.
Our team are often complimented upon for their friendly and helpful service and I am sorry that you feel this was not the case in this instance. Please do bear in mind that complimentary uprades are subject to availability.
I was concerned that you had not heard back from Accor ,but am pleased that they have now done so following our own investigation with those concerned. Kind regards, Wiliam McWilliam

Travelers are raving about these Winchester hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Would recommend the Royal Winchester or Winchester Spa over this hotel. Located right next to the Cathedral.

Paid £100 plus £10 for breakfast.

Hotel is in need of a refurb and smells musty in the stairwells.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear colinsto, I am sorry that you feel us to expensive compared to other hotels in the city. We we believe we are very competitive considering our location. There are more often than not some great value pre paid offers which are well worth looking in to the next time you have cause to be in Winchester. Kind regards, William McWilliam
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

My wife and I stayed here while visiting friends in Winchester so we could take in the town and have a few drinks. This is in a spectacular location right in the heart of the city.
The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and well presented, and breakfast was superb! We would happily stay her again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear PeteWils, Thank you for chosing to stay with us at Mercure Winchester. All of us at the hotel agree with you that our location in the heart of the city, being adjacent to The Cathedral is something very special. I am glad to hear that you would stay with us again and sincerely hope you do . I look forward to seeing you then . Kind regards, William McWilliam
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel for one night in April. We have previously stayed at the hotel and enjoyed our stay back in Winchester on this trip. Staff were excellent, great location just a few minutes walk to the city center and right next to Winchester Cathedral. Breakfast was excellent. Only one thing that could be improved is the plumbing, toilets are very slow to refill after flushing, and perhaps the rooms could be due for an update, otherwise a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DearR8fan, Pleased to hear that you have just returned from another enjoyable stay with us at Mercure Winchester and again found the team and breakfast to be excellent. I hope that you will come back on your next trip and look forward to seeing you when you do. Kind regards, William McWilliam
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Firstly the views expressed are mine ...............
staff 10/10 friendly helpful willing to do everything asked although the united nations represented by the staff are cosmopolitan to say the least but they were very good polite and well turned out.
The location is great as you are within spitting distance of the cathedral which is literally 25 yards away.
however the down side of being this close to a Cathedral is that it has BELLS.......... yes ding bloody dong all night, I thought I was in QUASIMODO convention. I kid you not I was kept awake most nights by the constant ringing. By Thursday I had to move rooms from 243, to 226 to which I moved to 106 from there as it was a small not suitable room. room 106 much better.
Right that's the staff and the bells sorted now for the rest...........
Food excellent breakfast served with all you can think of so I wont harp on about that as it was 10/10, however the evening meals are somewhat too "fancy pants for me" as when I order a meal I expect it to at least fill me up, which they did not. it was much easier to take a stroll for 5 minutes and get a Witherspoon meal or a local takeaway, subway was close also and several much cheaper alternative to the Hotel which I found quite expensive, but that was my perception and other guests may have found the costs acceptable.
Now the juicy bit, the hotel is listed as 4* but failed to live up to its billing. The hotel fabric is tired and dated with paint peeling off the walls and threadbare carpets, which looked soiled from water damage. The staff stated it was due a refurbishment this year but I can only judge what was in front of me, and what I saw was a poorly decorated, tired and in need of a major lift to bring some class back to what is an hotel in a cracking location.
One other main gripe is the car parking charges which the hotel does not seem to mention, it charges you at £10 per night which I think is extortion....................

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear raymondoWales, Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. I was pleased to inform the team that you rated them 10/10. I am sorry that the bells disturbed your sleep. The majority of our guests comment how they enhance their stay by adding to the ambience.
We think our breakfast is pretty comprehensive and I am glad that you agree. I note your comment regarding the evening meal, and sincerely hope you enjoyed the quality if not the portion size. We carry out a rolling programme of planned maintenance which attends to the issues you highlighted with the décor and the carpets. Kind regards, William McWilliam