“Nice hotel in Great Surroundings”

Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Phoenix, Az
“Nice hotel in Great Surroundings”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel is a nice hotel to stay in. Staff are freindly enough and helpful to some extent. Sometimes wait staff are not always reliable with service in particular to Room Service. Further training will help to insure reliable service standards. The rooms are very nice and slightly worn a bit. Housekeeping staff are great. Parking is very limited as well as spce within Winchester is at a premium. Once your in the Wessex, than you can enjoy the city of Winchester very well. Breakfast at the hotel is awesome once you're seated and staff are there to serve you. Love the Smoked Haddock and Kippers for a delightful English Breakfast!!

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room with a view of Winchester Cathedral. The hotel is right next door to the Cat...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank PhoenixTraveler777
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear PhoenixTraveller777. Thanks very much for taking the time tio write a review. Really pleased you had a nice stay and found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I have passed on your comments regarding room service to the Food and Beverage Manger for action. Glad you found our breakfast offerring to be excellent and enjoyed the freshly cooked Haddock and Kippers. Hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, William McWilliam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

For my second time staying in Winchester, I opted for this Mercure hotel, and I have to say, I was not disappointed.

The hotel is ideally situated in the heart of Winchester, adjacent to the cathedral. Now, if you judge hotels on their architecture, this one wouldn't win your heart! Who on earth gave planning permission for the bedroom extension which faces the cathedral! However, you are not subjected to anything so gruesome when you are inside the hotel! Like another Mercure Hotel I stayed in recently, it does look as though the chain is starting to invest in its hotels, which is a good sign. The Mercure at Winchester could do with a little more investment, but there is little here to cause any problems, and I had a very comfortable night in my hotel (room 114). Unfortunately my room did not face the cathedral but instead overlooked the back of some shops and a public toilet. Not a picturesque outlook, but it didn't cause any problems until Southern Electric started up a generator late at night! Thankfully the double-glazing was pretty much up to the job and kept the noise in my bedroom down to acceptable levels. Definitely worth asking for a room with a cathedral view if you can though!

Breakfast was good, although I do believe there were some problems with the hot-plate for the hot buffet: this was out of action and cooked breakfasts had to be ordered and brought from the kitchen. Despite this, service was very prompt.

Staff at the Mercure were generally very friendly and welcoming. In particular, the young woman on check-in and the bar staff were very friendly, engaging and attentive: full marks here Mercure! The young woman on check-out was a little less welcoming and appeared somewhat flustered at having to deal with two people checking out, but it wasn't anything too serious: probably more what one has to come to expect from hotel reception staff these days, and contrasting with the exemplary standard of service received elsewhere in the hotel. Maybe she was having a bad day, but a smile and a friendly greeting would remedy this straight-away!

All-in-all, a very agreeable stay in Winchester at a very reasonable price. I will definitely consider returning here on my next business trip to the area.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jon_069
Dear Jon_069, Thanks very much for posting a review. I am delighted you had a good stay with us at Mercure Winchester. I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity of looking after you again on your next trip to Winchester. Kind regards, William McWilliam
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for one night and found our stay wonderful. The hotel inside is immaculate and our room was extremely comfortable with everything we need including a wide screen tv, large bed, lovely bathroom, beautiful furnishings and amazing views of the cathedral. The receptionists and the breakfast staff were all very polite and welcoming and couldn't do enough for us. There was a large selection of food at the breakfast buffett and we couldn't fault it at all. We will be recommending this hotel to our friends and family and look forward to staying here again when we next visit Winchester.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Rebecca R,
Thank you for your kind comments I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Winchester and appreciate you recommending us to you family and friends.I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, William McWilliam
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I didn't have particularly high expectations for the hotel, partly as it was only mid-ranked on tripadvisor, but also because I generally find hotels in England outside of London to be pretty disappointing and given this was fairly cheap I suspected I wouldn't get much for my money. But I was actually pleasantly suprised. As others have said, the location really is outstanding with wonderful top-to-bottom glass views across the lawns to Winchester Cathedral from the breakfast room (and from half the hotel rooms in winter at least when the trees wouldn't obstruct) but on top of that the rooms were very pleasant - quiet and with good thick curtains that guarantee a good night's sleep - the staff were friendly and efficient and the breakfast is indeed excellent. The hotel doesn't have the attention to detail of a top end hotel (e.g. slow clearing your plates at breakfast, no flowers in room, small delay on check-in despite being after 2pm) and yes it's ugly on the outside, but for what it's trying to do - provide good value and pleasant accommodation - I think it does it very well, and would recommend it to others on that basis.

Room Tip: ask for one on cathedral side, and with an actual view of the cathedral (trees block most of the vie...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank H_Alst0n
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear H_alst0n, Thanks very much for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations. We do have a fabulous location and I am delighted you chose to stay with us to experience the wonderful view it offers. We appreciate you recommending Mercure Winchester to the wider world. Hope to welcome you back again. Kind regards, William McWilliam
uk
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Have just stayed for a weekend with friends, and found this hotel quite delightful. Very good location, perfectly adequate rooms, pleasant staff and service and a great breakfast. We were lucky with the car park, but could see if you arrived late and the hotel was busy, it might be an issue, but not for us. Personally, I enjoyed the cathedral quarter-bells all through the night, but guess if having complete silence was essential, that might be a problem (but then you wouldn't be staying in a city centre hotel, would you?!).

Room Tip: If hearing the Cathedral bells helps you to sleep, go for a room overlooking the Cathedral. If not...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank marcruse
Dear marcruse, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Winchester and found the hotel to be delightful and the staff and service to be pleasant.I look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, William McWilliam
Camelford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Visiting my Grand Children I tried to book a room a week before only to be informed that I could only book a exceutive (their term) suite @ £119 plus £10 breakfast. I arrived to find no room in the car park and was allocated a space in the Staff Car park. On signing in the receptionist insisted on my producing a credit card. I explained I did not carry a credit card and would be paying by debit card. This reached an impass!!! Fortunately my son produced his credit card and I was allowed to go to my room. The Room was barely big enough to swing a cat and in the bathroom was some used tissue on the floor. Notwithstanding, I had a reasonable nights sleep.
Breakfast was help yourself, including cook your own toast, the waitress brought coffee and selected items that required cooking fresh. On settling the bill I was charged £8 for the car park!!! I decided not to cause a scene at this promptly paid and left. Never to return.

Room Tip: Do not have the executive room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Alan P
Dear AlanP, Sorry to hear that you were not entirely happy with your stay. I have shared your comments with the relevant teams. I apologise for the problems at check in regarding the credit card . I have agreed a procedure with Front Office to prevent this happening again.Kind regards, William McWilliam

Travelers are raving about these Winchester hotels