“Mostly good - worth it for brekkie!”

Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Mostly good - worth it for brekkie!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The first time I stayed at this hotel, it was late July and I was put in a hot, sticky room, with no air conditioning, and got bitten so many times in my (fitful) sleep that my shoulder looked like a toadstool. I was all set to be a grumpy bugger and vowed never to set foot in the hotel again.

Then I sampled the breakfast. Properly good stuff - I travel on business a lot and it makes a huge difference to have not just a comprehensive range of local food on the buffet, but also a number of dishes that can be cooked on demand. The Eggs Bennedict was absolutely spot on. They didn't even mind when I very obviously made myself a bacon roll to take away (lunch!). And they have proper Bonne Maman jams, and even little individual glass jars of ketchup and mustard!

So my own greed brought me back to the hotel the next time I was in town, and I'm happy to report that my numerous stays ever since have been far more comfortable than the first. In general, the rooms are quite spacious (not massive, but tolerable), the TVs are enormous, and the wifi isn't bad - the main requirements of a business traveller. Also, in my experience, the staff have all been incredibly pleasant and helpful, despite my checking in at stupid-o-clock in the morning on a number of occasions.

I will echo the comments of others about the parking, which (owing to the location of the hotel) is shocking. However, I always bung the car in the town carpark which is literally just over the road - this is free from 6pm to 8am. The hotel carpark has always cleared out by 8am as the early risers get on their way, so I always grab the car at 7:59 and move it 50 yards into the hotel's lot before returning for breakfast. Yum. Did I mention the breakfast??

The rooms don't seem to have minibars, so make sure you bring your own bottle if you fancy a swift shandy in the room.

Finally, the hotel is situated a very short walk from some *lovely* gastropubs - I would definitely recommend the food at the Old Vine and the Wykeham Arms.

In short - rooms variable, parking atrocious, staff lovely, location world class, breakfast brilliant. I look forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: If you're staying in the summer, ask for a room with aircon - some have it, some don't, and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank russell_gowers
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear russell_gowers. Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I am really pleased that you have chosen to stay with us so often following your initial visit. Thanks in particular for your kind comments regarding the friendly team, it is most rewarding for them to receive such positive acknowledgement. Glad you enjoy our great breakfast offering, perhaps I could recommend our own restaurant the next time you stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, William McWilliam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Polish first
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Spent the night here before a work function a few miles away.

Generally very happy with the Hotel and Staff.

Due to late booking I was given a single room, but was very surprised with the overall size of the room and En-suite.

You could see a lot of effort had been put-into making the room look better than it actually was, but in fairness it was clean, had all the facilities required and a Queen sized bed.

The En-suite was very well sized and looked like it had also been re-furbished, the overall look was good, but there was some poor detailing in the finish which is always a longtime concern.

One of the funniest things was that the toilet was very close to the wall and the toilet paper holders were set directly beside it, meaning you have to take the roll of the wall to sit down comfortably.

As for location, it was great! the Cathedral opposite looked great under the night lights, and it was a great walk to the pub for some food in the evening.

I don't think anyone would be dissapointed staying here

Room Tip: try to stay in the main hotel rather than the extension. Also parking can not be reserved, so check...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mr_Maz
Dear Me_Maz,
Thanks very much for your review and observ ations regarding your bedroom. I am really pleased you had a comfortable stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Winchester soon. Kind regards, William McWilliam
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We arranged a two day conference for 60 demanding professionals from all over the UK here. Don't be put off by the outside- the positioning and views are excellent (we dined overlooking an illuminated Winchester Cathedral) and the staff went the extra mile- nothing was too much trouble. I'd single out Luca and Christo plus the reception staff who were uniformly excellent. A very good conference- may thanks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear APHB , Thank you very much for your very kind words. I am delighted that we were able to contribute to the success of your conference. Thank you very much for choosing Mercure Winchester. I have forwarded your comments to the whole team extending my appreciation for their hard work and commitment in ensuring that everything went so well. Luca and Christo were really proud to have been mentioned and for being recognised for their efforts. It would be very remiss of me not to mention the contribution of your own team, in particular Alex and Petra, whose thorough planning and attention to detail from the outset really made our job a lot easier. Please pass on my thanks. I really hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Winchester in the near future. Kind regards, William McWilliam
UK
Reviewed October 2, 2012

At first approach, the hotel is really not much to look at and the hotel car park seems to fill up quickly (it costs around £8 to park for 24 hrs). However, the cathedral is right next door so, in my view, it couldn't be in a better location.
We booked an executive room with breakfast and were given a cathedral view room (which we had requested) - the views were stunning, the room was great and breakfast (albeit busy) was good. If I were to have one negative it would be that the net curtains and the bath mat in the bathroom really ought to be replaced. Other than that though, a good hotel with friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a cathedral view room upon booking
1 Thank laceyfamily
Dear Laceyfamily, Thanks very much for your review. Delighted to hear you had a good stay. Thanks for your comment regarding the net curtain and bath mat- I have forwarded your comment to the Housekeeper for action. Glad you enjoyed the unique view of the Cathedral as it really is something special. Hopefully we can welcome you back soon. Kind regards, William McWilliam
Angmering, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed at the hotel to see our son who lives in the area . Couldn't have found a better hotel. Central to the city, and easy access to everything , shops, walks, sites. On arrival, i was asked if we wanted an upgrade to a Cathedral view/superior room for 10 a night. So glad we did !!! , a really great room with view. Room was nice and large, and very clean a tidy. Breakfast was excellent with large selection of hot/clod buffet? Nice touch, was the waiter saying, "if we could wait a few more minutes, he would re-lay a window table for us".. Only little niggle was being asked to pay for wifi in the room. Overall, many thanks for a great stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear PeteG, Thanks very much for your review, I am delighted you had such a great stay with us and enjoyed the view of the Cathedral from your Room,. It really is worth the extra £10.
I hope you will return soon to Mercure Winchester. Kind regards, William McWilliam
Dolgellau
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed at the Mercure for a family wedding and enjoyed our stay tremendously. The room was superb with a very large, king size bed, spotlessly clean and well appointed. The bathroom was also spotless with large, fluffy towels and nice selection of toiletries. Reception staff were very helpful and we were lucky enough to find a space in the hotel car park, which does seem a bit small for the number of rooms. The inside of the hotel is very pleasant and in direct contrast to the exterior which has all the charm of bad 1970's architecture.

The breakfast buffet the next morning was superb with a huge selection of hot and cold items. Crucially the cooked items we're constantly refreshed which certainly improved their appearance and taste. The restaurant staff were extremely helpful and special mention must go to the restaurant manager/head waiter who was incredibly attentive to his customers and staff.

I would have one question if anyone from the hotel or the group reads this review - why in 2012 is it necessary for a 5 star hotel to charge £4.50 for 24 hours WiFi access when guests are paying in excess of £100 per night?

The location in the city centre is directly opposite the cathedral and within walking distance of all Winchester attractions and shops

A very enjoyable stay and would be more than happy to visit again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank keith_williams2
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear keith_williams2,. delighted to heare that you had a tremendously enjoyable stay at Mercure Winchester Wessex when attending a family wedding. Really pleased you found the bedroom and bathroom so comfortable and clean. Your comments regarding the superb quality of the food and service at breakfast confirms that our attention to detail with the most important meal of the day remains in place. Please visit us again soon. Kind regards, William McWilliam
London
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Booked direct with the hotel to ensure a double room with Cathedral view, and cost £115 for one night for two people. On arrival there was a wedding party, car park full and needed to find alternative parking, the bar was also busy with the wedding party, so did not venture in. It would have been helpful to be told about the wedding party in advance, I may have booked a more quiet hotel. The very small room was supposed to be a double, but this is highly suspect as the room consisted of a 3/4 size bed butted up against the wall with a badly sloping mattress, which lead to a very uncomfortable nights sleep. The room would have been great for one person, as it was so small there was no possibility of moving the bed out slightly to get in. Cathedral view was of its roof, so technically it was.... Just not enough of it... Much like not enough bed! We were in the linked building above the open car park, which was extremely noisy, and did not aid to a peaceful night's sleep. The bathroom cleanliness was not as you would expect, topped off with a broken toilet handle and a dripping cistern, again sleep deprivation seemed to be a factor here. Having stayed in numerous budget and 4/5 star hotels, I would rate this hotel as well below average and certainly not worth the £115 paid. I cannot recommend this hotel, but as all customer feedback is subjective to the individual experience, the small room, the small bed, the noise and the dripping broken cistern all cumulated in a significantly below standard experience and one I shall not wish to repeat at this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jo O, Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay. I am really sorry you were diasappointed with your room. I have shared youre comments with the relevant departments who will action where applicable the issue you highlighted with the bathroom and the mattress. Thanks for bringing them to our attention. Yours sincerely, William mcWilliam

Travelers are raving about these Winchester hotels