“Room with a beautiful view of the rolling gardens”

Lainston House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Lainston House - A warm welcome and set in lush green gardens.
We enjoyed two nights in an enormous suite overlooking the terrace with rolling views of the countryside, we could just sit with either a chilled glass of wine on the terrace or in the wood panelled bar with a gin and tonic.

The staff are professional and the food fabulous.
You can even choose your pillow from a luxury 'pillow menu'.
The grounds include a kitchen garden and a falconry - beautiful birds and a pleasure to see up close, we managed to see Billy in action with some of the birds on the lawn before dinner.

My only criticism is that some soft background music is much need in the bar and restaurant to make the ambiance more relaxing and less stuffy, also I feel that £5 for Fevertree tonic is a little excessive!

Room Tip: Opt for a room in the main house overlooking the garden or else you'll end up in the Stable Wing...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Sarah j
Thank you for sharing your recent experience of Lainston House. We are delighted to see that you had an enjoyable time and that you were able to enjoy the grounds and the kitchen garden. Seeing our resident falconer, Billy, whilst flying the team is a real treat and something that never stops to amaze me.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the rooms on the Main house - the view is truly espectacular. Not two of our bedrooms are the same and the different styles of decor and location allows us to find the most suitable room for any guests - reservations is always happy to help to select the room most suitable for our guests requirements. Fevertree is our premium tonic at £3.50 - I would appreciate if you would contact me directly so I can look into any queries with your bill.

Once again, thank you for your endorsement.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I booked a stay here with my boyfriend through Secret Escapes for his birthday on 16th June 2013 for one night. We are both students, so this is not something we do very often, but Lainston House looked stunning and I just couldn't resist!

Upon arrival, the exterior was really impressive. The woman on reception was warm and inviting, and we were shown to our room quickly and efficiently. The deal from Secret Escapes included a traditional room, and as these are the most basic I thought I was going to be a little disappointed - so much so I considered upgrading. However, I am glad that I didn't! Our room 'Ivy' was a very good size and the bathroom was gorgeous. It was decorated in a modern fashion that suited our tastes perfectly, and was great for just the nights stay. If I were to return in a few years, which I intend on doing, I'd definitely book a Junior Suite. The facilities in the room were great, and the slippers (although they didn't fit my boyfriend) were quite comfy! After settling in we explored the grounds, which were gorgeous and extensive. We couldn't find the copper chair though - perhaps it's gone or we didn't look hard enough!

Dinner was also included in the deal, which was fabulous. Being a pescetarian I was worried that there wouldn't be much choice, but there were a few fish dishes to choose from which I was pleased about. The whole meal from start to finish was delicious, and I managed 3 courses which is not like me at all. This is probably because the portion sizes were smaller than expected, but it meant I could enjoy all of the food and that suited me perfectly. One of the best things about the meal was the fact we had the reservation at 7pm and didn't leave till nearly 10pm. I was worried they would usher us out quickly if we had an early reservation, but we felt under no pressure to leave. It meant we could sit back to enjoy the food and the ambience, which was a real plus.

Breakfast the following morning was great and as this was also included in the deal, I felt spoilt for choice. I settled with my usual (scrambled eggs and smoked salmon) but that was still really tasty. The waiters were attentive and brought us anything we needed. We had also planned to make use of the gym facilities in the morning, which looked well appointed when we peered through the window the day before. However, the bed was just so comfortable that we passed on the opportunity! But if you're that way inclined then I think it will have everything you need.

We left the hotel feeling refreshed and spoiled. The ambiance of Lainston House is one of elegance and expense, but is also very friendly and warm. The only bad thing about the trip is that I didn't want to leave! I would definitely return and recommend it to anyone who wanted a relaxing 5* weekend away.

Room Tip: Even the traditional rooms are brilliant - Ivy was comfy and spacious, just what we needed!
1  Thank Laura D

Dear Laura D,
Thank you for you wonderful review of Lainston House. I am delighted to read that you were refreshed and spolied after your visit.

We look forward to your next visit; our best current deal for a Junior suite is 'Just Peachy' (named after our famous Bellini cocktails). Do have a look at our website - I am sure we will be seeing you soon!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

my wife and i stayed at lainston for 2 nights and found the hotel to be on face value a very nice hotel the staff were very helpfull and the breakfast was of good quality the setting is excellent
the only downside was the fact we had a traditional room which was smaller than the size of a premier inn room and was reached through a run of corridors
generally good experience but would consider a change of room if staying there in the future

Dear james b,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at Lainston House. I am delighted to see that you had an overall enjoyable time.

Our traditional guests rooms are our entry level rooms, with an average size of 25 sqm and are very convenient for a short stay - The range from the most modern ones (jacuzzi baths, wonderful barhrooms and even aquavision TVs) to the more quaint and traditional at the top of the main house (with wonderful views of our mile long lime tree Avenue). I agree with you, for longer periods I would recommend a Junior Suite or a Master Suite but our reservations team is always delighted to guide enquiring guests when selecting the most convenient room.

Once again, thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. The staff are attentive and friendly, and impecably turned out. Our junior suite was huge. The grounds are stunning, and sitting outside is a joy. The food is excellent, with many interesting combinations drawn from the fabulous vegetable garden on site. Although the hotel is smart they welcome children. We felt totally rested after our stay, and I have been back since with friends and children who all love it. You must visit the owls and the falcons as well!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Nicola P,
It is great to learn about such a wonderful 1st wedding anniversary - thank you for sharing your experience.

I am really pleased to see that the team played a part making your occasion extra special and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There is a great opportunity very soon to further enjoy the gardens and combine it with the food you enjoyed so much. Our annual Jazz brunch is on the 7th July with sunshine almost guaranteed - the perfect excuse to return!

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review. We look forward to seeing you back soon

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Lainston House Hotel for a couple of nights from 14th June. The outside of the hotel is quite attractive as are the grounds. The inside is a bit of a rabbit-warren but in good order. Rooms are very nice – we had a junior suite, I think, which was comfortable and in good order; nicely decorated and furnished including a big ‘ole 4-poster bed. The bathroom was very nice too, with a free-standing roll-top bath and a walk-in shower, plenty of hot water, complementary robes, slippers and grooming products.

Staff are well turned out, polite and mostly efficient, although we did see one waiter at dinner topping up our neighbours water with wine.

Our biggest disappointment was the food. Whilst I’m a bit of a fan of the whole ‘smears and swipes’ school of presentation, we found the portion size at dinner a wee bit on the small side, pretty bland and generally lacking in flavour and finesse . The dining room was a little soulless, lacked any real character, and we were in and out in about 40 minutes, all making the whole experience a bit of a non-event really. At £188 for the two of us that equates to almost a fiver a minute!

Breakfast didn’t fare much better. The continental buffet spills out into the hall which can be a busy thoroughfare, and breakfasters are traversed by other guests travelling between rooms and reception. At £21 a head for the full English you’d expect a reasonable quality. However, our eggs were overcooked on the bottom and a bit snotty on top. Also, the sausage was pink in the middle, which when I bought to the attention of the maître d, I was assured that it had been “…raised to a certain temperature…” I asked if it was the same temperature as the un-toasted toast which had also arrived by that time. The toast was replaced and I was offered a replacement sausage (not a replacement breakfast) which I declined thinking I’d probably have finished as much of the rest as I was going to before it arrived back. We also ran out of butter and white sugar so it felt like we were always on someone’s case.

We didn’t bother eating at the hotel again after that and had dinner in a local pub on the Saturday (over about 2 ½ hours) and we skipped the delights of breakfast on the Sunday as being just too traumatic.

All-in-all, a nice location, picturesque hotel, lovely rooms and grounds, but an epic failure on the food and dining front. The issues over the food quality really did affect my perception of this place. I don’t mind paying for what I get, but I never felt like I got what I paid for.

2  Thank Des_Munn

Dear Des_Munn,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review of Lainston House.

I am delighted to read that the room, the bathroom and the team contributed to make your stay special, but obviously less pleased to learn about your dissapointment with the meals. I will be delighted to have the opportunity to speak to you in person to better understand some of the points raised.

I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Chosen because of link on the Grange Park Opera website and the hotel's advertised transport to and from the Opera, this hotel was a nice 2-night contrast to London, from which we arrived. The food, although quite good, was somewhat pretentious. The highlight of our stay, in addition to the opera, was an English hedgehog outside our window. (My wife is a zoo docent.) The advertised opera transport is somewhat misleading - they arrange for a taxi to the Opera, and you arrange for a taxi return after the performance - but we got there and back comfortably. On our last morning the staff was overwhelmed at breakfast - apparently the result of a wedding the prior evening - but they opened additional rooms and brought in additional staff (not to mention comping breakfast) and handled it quite well.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Lnmsdad
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Lainston House following your recent visit whilst attending Grange Park Opera.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the stay, including the visit from some of the local wildlife. I am unsure of what made you think that our food was prentetious, but would be happy to hear more about it should you wish to contact me directly. We have been supporters of the wonderful local produce and we are lucky to being able to source some of our produce from our own Kitchen garden. Phil Yeomans food is simply cooked looking to combine fresh produce and enhance the different flavours on every dish.

I am sorry to hear that you found the transport arrangements misleading. We have been preferred accommodation for many Grange Park Opera guests for many years and we always try to improve the experience through listening to feedback. In the past it was deemed more convenient for the different guests to travel to Grange Park on separate cars allowing more flexibility both before the performance and on the return, rather than using a shuttle service.

Once again, thank you for your review - We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back soon

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I took a friend to Lainston House for afternoon tea yesterday for a birthday treat and it was lovely. Luckily the weather was kind enough to let us sit outside and the views were beautiful. The hotel was full of character and the staff were excellent, very polite and helpful. The food was lovely and very well presented and the hotel and grounds were impeccably clean and tidy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends