Lainston House Hotel
$94
$171
$152
Travelocity
Days Inn Sutton Scotney South(Winchester)(Great Value!)
$54
$45
Priceline
Premier Inn Winchester Hotel(Winchester)(Great Value!)
$82
PremierInn.com
1,184 results
All reviewsavenue restaurantjunior suiteafternoon teabirds of preyjacuzzi bathsouth lodgerain barsdawley barnextensive groundscedar barcountry housecookery schooltasting menubeautiful hotelfour poster beddrawing roomamuse bouche
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I read some of the other reviews before writing this and the negative ones are very interesting. If this hotel has a challenge it is that its a destination hotel and being a wedding venue with accommodation means someone is going to be disappointed. We weren't here for a wedding and everything that others complained about went smoothly for us.

Firstly our SatNav had no problem finding the place - it was actually listed under 'hotel' so we completely failed to get lost. On arrival our booking was front and centre and our car was efficiently unloaded and valet parked. Our room was in the part of the hotel that was extended which meant an interesting wander along corridors and interconnecting doors to our junior suite, which gave us the opportunity to observe the rest of the hotel. The room was extremely spacious and under furnished which is perfect. Two desks for a bit of light work, great wi-fi and a fabulous bathroom with a bath big enough for two. Loved the stained glass too, which was properly leaded and traditionally assembled. Loved the stuffed owl to hang on the door as a 'do not disturb' indicator - I like hotels with humour!

We were in town for a family visit and so not desperately hungry so we ate in the bar. Cocktails were expertly mixed by friendly and welcoming team and the food was perfectly presented and interesting. If the waiting staff neglected us the barman would signal to them and plates were cleared and feedback sought directly.

We have stayed in many hotels in Winchester over the last four years or so and I have to say the Lainston tops our list because it is quiet and the extensive grounds make for interesting jogging and walking routes. Our one night stay wasn't really long enough. All the staff we encountered were interested, efficient and friendly but I can imagine that this kind of individual attention is strained for large parties arriving en-masse, as it would be at any hotel. The crowd in the bar were also varied. from quiet couples soaking up the gentle atmosphere to boasters in groups whose goal is to attempt to show off. I would never blame a hotel for characters like this. Fortunately both the hotel and the grounds provide sufficient escape from the boorish!

If you haven't stayed here then definitely give it a go, but probably try to avoid weddings! We'll be back in the very near future to soak up more of their facilities, location and hospitality.

Room Tip: The junior suites are enormous!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Steve E,
Thank you for your great review of Lainston House. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the experience. Great to read your comments about the team, but also the food in the bar, which is a less formal alternative to the fine dining Avenue Restaurant.

It is always encouraging to see that the investment made on 'details' is recognised by our guests. From understated technology (full coverage complimentary superfast wireless) to creating a talking point our of a do not disturb sign!

I am also pleased to read that you found the team interesting, efficient and friendly and look forward to welcoming you back for some more R&R soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Lainston for the third time in our lives and it did not disappoint us! The staff, food and surroundings needs to be experienced to be believed. It is worth every penny and we can't wait to visit again later in the year.
We had a room on the first floor with an adjoining room between the bedroom and bathroom so lots of space.
What a joy it is to know that you can still get 5 star treatment !

Room Tip: I don't think you would be disappointed with any room you were given!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Manx7
Thank you for your great review of Lainston House. It gives us great pleasure to see guests becoming ambassadors of Exclusive Hotels. We really appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay at this beautiful hotel. It's in a wonderful setting on top of a hill with amazing views. Sophie, on reception, booked us in and she was most helpful and charming - a great asset to the hotel. The young man who took us to our room was also very friendly and helpful. We started our stay in a junior suite called Walnut but unfortunately when I drew the bath water there was a problem. After phoning reception the manager arrived and because of the inconvenience we were moved to Hornbeam. This is a beautiful room on the ground floor. There was a most comfortable four-poster bed and plenty of space. The bathroom was amazing - larger than our lounge at home. There was a jacuzzi bath and separate rain shower. I have attached some photos. The amenities were excellent too. Everything was very clean and well maintained. We ate in The Avenue restaurant both nights. The food was very good but we found the menu very limited. If we had stayed another night I think we would have been struggling to find something we liked. Breakfast was served here too. There was a good selection of cereals and fruit. We had cooked both mornings. I was disappointed with my mushroom omelette the first morning. It was very flat, dry and leathery! The bacon and eggs the second morning were wonderful. Overall this is an excellent place to stay and we hope to return again. Thank you.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Speges,
Thank you for your great review of Lainston House following your recent stay.

I was delighted to shared your comments with Sophie - She has recently joined the team and was pleased to hear your feedback.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the room - Hornbeam is one of my favourite Exclusive Junior Suites. Thank you for the pictures.

I was also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the evening meals in the Avenue Restaurant. Our A la carte menu is complemented by both the tasting and vegetarian tasting menus. The Cedar bar menu offers a less formal alternative. The kitchen team is very accommodating and it is not uncommon for them to create some bespoke dishes for guests enjoying longer stays at the hotel.

Once again, thank you for your detailed review - we look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is a very nice place as we stayed on way to take a cruise from Southhampton to USA. While I wish we had another day we did not. The accommodations are very nice and the reception great. That said the service in restaurants was lacking courtesy and friendliness in general. Way too formal of service for my taste. Service was incomplete at dinner. No mention of coffee, after dinner drink. Never saw server after dessert was delivered.

Same with the high tea. The product was very good, but service lacking.

In my opinion the service needed to be much better but the product was great.

Positives: the kitchen garden and the grounds staff was amazing. We got a tour to visit the owl...very cool. Provlems were mostly food service not hotel or grounds or reception.

FYI:
Food was good

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard N

Dear Richard N,
Thank you for taking the time to review Lainston House. We really appreciate your feedback and whilst I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and the food, I was dissapointed to read that you found the restaurant service too formal. The team is usually very accommodating and approachable - you experienced this with both the reception and the grounds team. I will ensure that your comments are followed up with the team.

Once again, thank you for your review - we look forward to seeing you back, maybe before the start of another cruise from Southampton.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband, dogs and I spent a lovely week at this hotel which has never let us down. Good bedrooms, breakfasts and delicious dinners. The staff are all helpful and we enjoyed our week with trips to Mottisfont, Romsey and Winchester.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear realesclarmonde,
Thank you for your fantasticc review of Lainston House. Seeing our guests return on a regular basis is something we are really proud of.

I am delighted to see that you had the time to visit some of the many great attractions in the local area and that the bedrooms, food and the team were all at par with your expectations.

We look forward to your next trip.