“My English countryside dreams come true”

Lainston House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed December 29, 2012

As an American in love with English period dramas and classical literature, I splurged and booked one night at Lainston House. It was clearly out of my usual travel budget but oh was it ever worth it! The staff was really warm and inviting which is so important when traveling alone like I was. Especially since the dining room was way too expensive, so I had dinner in the bar while chatting with the bartender. I stayed in the spectacular lilac room, tucked up in the very top of the house. It had a beautiful bathtub and separate shower with rainfall shower head ... so I had to use both before I left. By far my favorite part had to be the small attic-like window that looked down to the breathtaking avenue of trees. I couldn't stop think about how much it looked like something out of a movie. The grounds are absolutely magical and even though it was grey, cold and rainy, I loved ever minute of walking the trails, touring the kitchen garden area and checking out the odd owl/falcon mini-zoo. Of course it helped that they have rain boots on hand to borrow before sloshing through the wet fields. By the end of my short stay, I was nowhere near ready to go and have vowed to make it back there sometime soon.

One thing I should note, I got totally lost trying to find the house so make sure you have good printed directions before going for the first time.

Room Tip: The Lilac room was amazing but up a decent amount of stairs so keep that in mind. I think it was mor...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank talldrinkawater

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The house is set in lovely grounds which offer a great place to walk in the English countryside - particularly when we were there in very cold, frosty weather. The exterior of the house is classically proportioned but internally it really could do with some TLC by someone with an eye for internal decor and good lighting as the public areas do not do justice to the building. We stayed in the original house and the bedroom and bathroom were very comfortable. However, we were above the extractor fan from the kitchen so had to keep the bathroom window shut to prevent the cooking smells filling the bedroom. If this worries you book in the newer rooms which looked very nice. The beds are very comfortable and the wifi is excellent while the staff are unfailingly charming. We ate dinner once in the dining room and the meal was fine but not exceptional while the breakfasts were good. Lainston House is about a £15 taxi ride from central Winchester and cabs were available very easily. In summary, this is a lovely venue (often used for weddings) with charming staff and an excellent centre for seeing the area...but it could be so much better if there was a little investment in the kitchen and the public rooms

Room Tip: Ask about the kitchen smells
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikewg
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have been to Lainston House for many years, I was also married there. The architecture and grounds are stunning without being intimidating. The welcome is charming. The house has an intimate, family friendly feel. I love the crackling fires when you enter into the lobby and the smell of wood smoke. If you are lucky enough to stay in the Blue Delph room, enjoy the peace and quite, the sumptious furnishings and best of all - the view from your window. You can pretend to be lord and lady of the manor. And you can bring your dogs.
The restaurant is divine, but my favourite thing is having a martini at the bar.
My favourite, favorite hotel - ever - in the world.

Room Tip: Blue delph Room is a must.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at the hotel on a Saturday night to celebrate my mother in law's 80th birthday. The first thing we saw was an open fire and the warmth of its welcome continued throughout our short stay. The bedrooms were a good size, the beds were large and comfortable and the bathrooms were on a level I have rarely experienced in the past. The bathroom had a TV and the shower was huge.
Dinner in the restaurant was delicious - my only criticism was the price of drinks in the bar. I thought £22 for a glass of Calvados was very steep. Nonetheless it was a pleasant evening and breakfast the following morning was of a high standard. Would definitely like to go back to The Lainston House again.

Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a hidden gem. It combines luxury with exceptional home comforts. The staff are friendly and welcoming, while remaining professional at all times.The room we had was almost like a self-contained flat with the most beautiful bathroom. The food in the restaurant was exquisite and the staff incredibly charming yet unobtrusive. In particular, the scallops and wine combined superbly and the chessboard was delicious. The chap from the hotels Falconrry took time to chat to us and other guess as well as show us all his birds. All in a fantastic weekend away

Jonathan - Surbiton

1  Thank Jonathan M
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed for one night in November - a real treat as we had one of the suites. Excellent service, felt totally spoilt, cannot fault the hotel in any way. The only downside was that we had to chase room service but they were there in a flash after the 2nd call! The attention from all the staff was top rate, and the ladies on reception were very welcoming, friendly and chatty. We had pre-dinner drinks and indulged in a couple of delicious cocktails. All in all, a fabulous experience - thoroughly recommend to couples for a romantic break.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl F
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Lainston House for my birthday with my husband. This hotel is pure luxury would recommend to anybody who likes the lovely things of life. Stayed as part of the lounging at Lainston deal.

The rooms are gorgeous we were very grateful to be upgraded and had a fabulous suite room with a four poster bed. Large jacuzzi bath tube with underfloor heating beautiful bath products to use. Lovely bath robes and slippers.

The food was just divine, would recommend the champagne cocktails with raspberry juice delicious. Breakfast was equally as wonderful. The room was immaculately clean and little things like the owl to put outside as a do not disturb was a lovely idea.

The staff very all very friendly and helpful thank you for making our short stay very special. We will be returning soon, I would urge anybody who is considering this hotel to book, we really could not fault a thing. Well done Lainston House staff you were completely amazing and gave a five star service.

1  Thank Ellielou2012