“Outstanding hotel, excellent location, superior service”

Lainston House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I booked two rooms, a twin and a double. On arrival we were upgraded to two suites, the oak and pine rooms that are inter-connected. The rooms are a converted stable and are very large. They are individually styled and are luxurious. Overall the rooms are comfortable, clean and what I would expect for this standard. The individual bathrooms are big and very nice. Definitely a good place for a romantic weekend. The furnishings are stylish, in line with the Manor house theme and of a quality not always found in this range.
The service was very good, all staff greeted me with warm smiles and generally were very helpful. One manager was extremely professional, I did not get her name but think she may be the executive housekeeper. She came across very helpful, warm and professional in her demeanour (tanned with black straight hair)! The hotel was having some refurbishments done whilst we were staying and even the scaffolders greeted me asked if I was ok and had there shirts on!
The food was excellent and well presented along with the afternoon tea we had in the beautiful garden. Effort is made by the staff to be helpful and friendly which was appreciated.
My only criticism is that when we checked in we were not told about the works taking place which I think is a courtesy. Also my wife wanted an apple martini which the bar was unable to fulfill.
My company provides services to hotels so most days I am in one and when I stay (and pay!) I need something special. This is definitely it! When criticisms can be forgotten by the overall good then you know you are somewhere good. We will defiantly be returning for a break from London, and wholeheartedly recommend this special place.
As someone who knows the trade this ticks all the boxes!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Alansavvi
Lainstonhouse, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Alansavvi,

Thank you for your recent review and I was delighted to read that you and your guests had an enjoyable stay with us at Lainston House.

I have passed on your comments with regards to Lara, our Executive Housekeeper, who was as thrilled as I with your feedback.

The external decoration work that we have going on is essential to the upkeep of the house and I apologise if this caused any inconvenience, we have endeavored to keep the disruption to an absolute minimum but I appreciate that with the short spell of fine weather guests wanted to make the most of the gardens and terrace.

I am not sure why the bar team were unable to make the apple martini that your wife requested but I can assure you that on your next visit this will be resolved and one will be waiting for her.

Thank you, once again, for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Yours sincerely,

David Connell

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Have just visited Lainston House as part of a wedding celebration. The hotel suites are vaunted as 'individually syled no two the same' I am certain no one would have wanted a bathroom the same as mine that is unless your taste is retro 1970's chic in shades of orange and brown! Fair play the hotel is undergoing 're furbishment' but an over the bath shower without a non slip surface or grab rails was a basic health and safety ommision, and unfit for purpose by my 80 year old mother who was sharing the suite. When i complained i was told we should have rung down to reception for a rubber non slip mat,NOT what i expect to do in a 5 star hotel. Friends had their account reduced by £50 because of torn curtains but i was told 'no discount' when i complained. Am i then to assume that Lainston House put their guests sense of style and opinion of their soft furnishings higher than their safety?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank marilyn b
Lainstonhouse, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear Marilyn B,,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Lainston House. I was sorry to read that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit to the hotel and appreciate your comments and feedback.

I understand that your bedroom was booked by the bride and that the only request that had been made was for the room to be twinned. No information had been passed to us with regards to the age of the guest staying or their mobility, had we been informed then suitable arrangements would have been made in advance to suitably accommodate. Unfortunately, once other guests have checked in to the hotel it is not always possible to re assign bedrooms accordingly; although, had you raised your concerns to us at the time we would have done everything within our power to facilitate.

I would agree that Japonica is not one of our most modern of rooms and indeed is scheduled to be refurbished as of September this year, however, it does meet the criteria for a traditional guest room and, as you were advised, is discounted as part of the special arrangements made with the bridal party.

I am sorry that you feel that we do not take health and safety seriously, however, I can assure you that we do and it is disappointing that you did not feel it appropriate to contact us to request a non slip mat for the bath. We choose not to place them in rooms as standard as the vast majority of guests do not like them and so we make them available on request. We also have portable handrails that, again, can be made available on request or indeed installed prior to a guest visit. Had you made us aware of your concerns at the time, we would have happily provided these for you or endeavoured to move you to a more suitable room and I am sorry that you didn't provide us with this opportunity.

Thank you for contacting us to advise of your concerns and I hope you managed to enjoy the wedding celebrations despite this.

Yours sincerely,

David Connell

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have just returned form a wedding held at Lainston House. We stay one night and had breakfast the next morning also.
I cannot recommend this place enough, the rooms are bright clean and beautifully furnished and equipped. The food is among the best ive ever had, the belly of pork is highly recommended!
Finally the best thing about Lainston House is the service, they really cannot do enough to help or be of service.
Fantastic place run by fantastic people thanks so much for a memorable couple of days!

Room Tip: Holly was great with a mega jacuzzi bath
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jonny W
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel has to be the best I have ever stayed at, every thing about it is amazing, the set out of different restaurants for each part of this hotel is a very good idea, the staff have to be the best staff I have seen the smiling constant polite and quiet way they go about their work is something to witness. The standard of rooms, meals, etc, is first class, I certainly will be returning for another stay.
Baring in mind I am in a power wheelchair all my needs were catered for nothing was too much trouble.
My friend last weekend held his wedding there every thing he and his bride wanted was done I have to say it was the best wedding I have ever attended of course every thing was down to the efficient staff it was they who made the whole thing so special. We were the third wedding in three days that the staff had had to deal with although being rushed off their feet they are up to the job.
And of course beside the beautiful rooms and decor inside the hotel there was then the outside, rolling lawns, beautiful scenery, the herb garden, the kitchen garden, and best of all for me the owls, and birds of prey kept in the grounds with a daily show of the birds of prey and also the fishing I saw some very big trouts that had been caught and handed over to the chef to be cooked for every fishing party who caught them.

Room Tip: no need to choose each room is as good as the other, all large, all quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank charlieboy413
Reviewed July 22, 2012

It was a special treat to find "that" place we had dreamed about but never expected to find.The step up from 4 star to 5 star was more than we had anticipated.
Welcomed, after travelling up the winding, tree lined drive to the Lainston House reception,it was a step into another world. Beautiful old world wood carvings, furniture, panelling and oak beams were all around us. The bedrooms (junior suites) were outstanding and even breathtaking! Staff were most helpful and the duty manager Ben, gave us attention to make our family stay more enjoyable. The recommendation to take extra time over breakfast is one to take seriously... so good!
Having the aviary of owls and hawks..... (some used to deliver wedding rings up the aisle!) gave an added value to hotels unique feel. Billy the "minder" was happy to talk about his passion training the birds.... As for the views from the bedroom window, my daughter 23, had the one shown in the catalogue with an avenue of lime trees...... a bit like "the ride" at Windsor Castle.

Simply a 10 at every level............ just make sure you dont spoil it by worrying about the cost. You might just want to go back again...

Room Tip: 1st floor over the main entrance are exquisite
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We arrived at lainston house hotel for our wedding anniversary on 21/07/2012.We were welcomed by very friendly hotel staff and overwhelmed by the hotels generosity by upgrading our room to a traditional junior suite with a lovely touch of two cupcakes waiting to be eaten in our suite.Everything about our stay was fantastic.We enjoyed our meal in the avenue restaurant and cocktails in the cedar bar overlooking the avenue.We highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Just spent a most enjoyable 3 hours here enjoying a Champagne Afternoon Tea for my Birthday. Everything was perfect. From the moment we drove up we were treated like royalty. Our car was driven away and parked for us. The staff were most courtious and attentive without being intrusive. The food was beautiful. We enjoyed it so much we ordered more drinks and sat in the garden in the sun. The Hotel was very busy with a Wedding and a BBQ party but we were not overlooked and the grounds are so large there is plenty of room for everyone. The staff took time to chat with us about the History of the Beautiful old House. All in all wonderful. Thank you Lainstone House . We will be back

Room Tip: Be sure to visit. You definitely won't be disappointed. British hospitality at it's best
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple