Mrs. LTB at The Coach House
$172
The Wykeham Arms(Winchester)(Great Value!)
$145
$115
$96
The Running Horse(Winchester)
$99
The Winchester Hotel & spa(Winchester)(Great Value!)
$96
$74
Marwell Hotel(Winchester)
$93
Priceline
Premier Inn Winchester Hotel(Winchester)(Great Value!)
$81
PremierInn.com
The Cricketers Inn(Winchester)(Great Value!)
$83
Agoda.com
All reviewsbeautiful housefrench coffeelovely breakfasta lovely staymaryaga
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have to admit, if I had read the last 2 reviews I would not have stayed at the Coach House and having just got back - they are entirely correct. The house is gorgeous and on the phone Mary, the landlady, was charming.

On arrival we were shown where to leave our shoes as we were not allowed them on in the house and offered a cup of tea - which was nice (there are no facilities in the room).

things then started to get a little strange. I was there with my mum and brother for a family weekend away and at any move between rooms or discussion, Mary would appear, or you would hear a creak on the stairs as if we were being watched!

we shrugged this off at her being a little eccentric, however in the morning my mum had just finished in the bathroom (opposite our bedroom) and I was about to get up when Mary said from outside 'you need to put the light on' and 'are you still using the bathroom'. I explained I was about to have a shower, did so and we all went down to breakfast. At that Mary stated that by my mother not putting the light on, the extractor fan hadn't come on, and therefore she would have to close the business, paint the room at a cost of £500 and that simply wasn't acceptable. I apologised (somewhat stunned) and said we has used daylight to wash and hadn't been told to put the light on.

At breakfast (great scrambled egg!!!), my mum borrowed my spare knife to spread the butter. She left it on the butter tray to which Mary, who constantly hovered, stated ' whose knife is that?'. I said my mum had borrowed my spare one to which Mary glared at my plate and my knife and fork to then say 'oh yes, it's alright, you are using the correct knife to eat with'. The other reviewers sum it up - we felt like naughty school children who were to obey the many, many rules.

Mary did enter our locked rooms twice during our stay - neither time without asking. Once to remove extra duvet covers and during breakfast (she sneakily vanished for a few minutes when she was sure we couldn't cause harm!!) she removed our towels, flannels and bath mat.

We laugh about it now, but at the time we did not feel very comfortable and I would certainly advise, not only about those reading this review against staying, but also to advise Mary to take up a different career.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Spooface
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Mary the landlady is very awkward with people and clearly doesn't understand them. As a result she appears to take offence at quite normal requests and becomes very anxious in simple conversation. For example she became very agitated when we tried to take a cup of tea up to our rooms. It is impossible to have a normal chat with her, yet she hovers all the times during breakfast. I cannot imagine why she is offering B and B. The accommodation is fine, though plagued by silly rules. The main problem is poor Mary herself. If you are at all sensitive my advice is to stay away. If you are a trained counsellor you might be able to cope.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michael H
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I arrived at the above on the evening of Thursday 19th December. Offered to take my shoes off which were put in the boot room. Told LL I was going to pop to the pub - which she enthusiastically recommended a couple of times prior to my visit. LL said she'd give me a front door key but would show me how to use it first?? I came down 10 minutes later and said I was off, chewing a mouthful of dinner LL huffed and traipsed off to get them saying ' if you come with me I'll show you where they're kept then you can put them there and get them yourself'. Next was the lesson in how to put a key in a Yale lock and open the front door. 'Turn it to the right, don't wiggle it of you'll lock us in and yourself out'. Left for the pub giggling to myself. Pub was ok, greasy pub food, back to B&B, shoes in boot room, off to bed. Lovely bed with electric blanket, wonderful. Unfortunately morning came. I had asked for a simple breakfast of toast and granola and coffee at about 7.30. Walking into the kitchen and saying a cheery 'good morning' I was greeted with 'you said you wanted breakfast at 7.30, it's nearly 7.45'. Help yourself to cereal its in the cupboard. Feeling a little stunned and like a schoolboy (I am 52) I quickly sat down. I happened to look at the clock on the TV which was blaring out some trashy breakfast television program and it said 7.39. I told LL this to which she replied 'well that's nearly 7.45'. UNBELIEVABLE. I asked if I could please have some granola to which she replied haughtily 'I told you it's in the cupboard, weren't you listening?' Running out of words now but seriously this woman is a disgrace and should not be running a B&B. It's as if she does it to draw decent people in, try to humiliate them and ruin their (over priced) stay. Horrible woman should be careful someone doesn't retaliate one day. STAY AWAY

Room Tip: In a different B&B
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank stuart g
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

I booked this b&b when given the number from another that was full and booked it before reading any reviews. Once I'd read a few was not sure what to expect as it seemed to get either one or five stars. On arrival as mentioned before we were asked to take our shoes off and put them in the boot room and that there were slippers for us in the bedroom. We were told we would have been made a cup of tea on arrival but Mary was too busy doing her christmas tree to make one for us. The accomodation was very nice and the room a good size and could use half a wardrobe to hang our clothes. As seen in previousreviews there was no TV in the room but there is a lounge you can use if you want to watch something but we did not use it. There are also no tea coffee facilities in the rooms. Mary did manage to get us a table at the golden lion which is a pub a 5 minute walk away and food was excellent. We were also only a ten minute walk from Winchester centre so was good to be able to leave the car at the house. The breakfast was good with various cereals and a choice of bacon egg and tomatoes or croissants yoghurt and fruit however as we were the only two eating did feel we were being watched all the time as we ate. We did enjoy our stay and the big question is would we stay again or recommend and the answer is probably.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarkSparkie
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Following having agreed with Mrs LTB about the curse of the tripadvisor review, I still felt inclined to pop something on here if only to up the stars average, given that some people have downgraded her significantly for seemingly ludicrous reasons.

Anyway there are only a handful of things I want when I stay somewhere and this place had all of them:

A lovely, comfortable bed. A large, spacious, well-furnished room. Big bath, good shower, nice 'smellies', plenty of large towels. A truly excellent breakfast (many people really don't know how to make scrambled eggs; Mary does, however). Everything spotlessly clean.

Add to that, a lovely house in a peaceful location and a warm welcome and we were perfectly happy. The lack of TV in the room is no problem - who wants to watch TV on a night away? And Mary is only too willing to make tea on request, so the lack of tea making facilities in the room is no problem. Rather a freshly made pot of tea with fresh milk than the usual UHT pots in bowls on a chest of drawers.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple