“Good touring base”

Holiday Inn Winchester
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just had a four night, long-weekend break here. The hotel staff were all excellent and the restaurant food in the evening was top class. The room was pleasant, modern and very clean. One word of warning though, make sure you get a deal in advance on the breakfast otherwise you'll be asked for £14.95 per head!! we went elsewhere and got much better value.
The hotel is quite a long way out of town, a walk-in is not realistic so you will need the car or a taxi for any trip into Winchester.
This was our first trip to Hampshire and the hotel proved a great base for touring this beautiful county.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Philip H,

Thank you for such a lovely review. For future reference we do offer a BB rate which does offer excellent value.

I hope we see you back soon,

Siobhan Thomasson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,031)

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed over a Saturday and Sunday night, beginning of March.
I have never been in such a lovely hotel. The entrance is lovely and bright, the staff where fantastic very friendly and helpful.
The room was very welcoming, clean and comfortable..
One thing we noticed was how different the staff where, compared to other hotels. Very friendly, helpful and acted very normal.

We had breakfast and an evening meal in the hotel. The breakfast buffet was well stocked and fresh and hot. Tables cleared quickly and no real wait to be seated.

The evening meal was fantastic. The food was second to none.
Will be back at some point.
This hotel should be used as the standard for Holiday inns.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RolandRatty
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

The pleasure was all ours, Richard5, in ensuring your stay was so delightful!

Thank you for the most amazing feedback which have been passed to all the teams.

I am incredibly lucky to have such a wonderful team who work so hard and deliver such great hospitality.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon,

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Great clean modern hotel. Spacious family room with a lovely bathroom. The staff were very friendly and made us and the children feel very welcome. We enjoyed dinner in the restaurant and it was lovely, especially when the staff helped us sing happy birthday to our daughter. We enjoyed a hearty breakfast before heading off to Peppa Pig World. I would highly recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank CallyD77

Fantastic review Cally D77, thank you so much!

I have passed on your lovely comments to all of the team, and do appreciate that you have reviewed your stay.

The team were only too delighted to sing and I hope this helped the birthday celebrations for your daughter.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Ideally located to M3 motorway. accessing the South Coast/South West or into Central London.

Ample onsite, well lit parking, planning consideration given to disabled guests.

First impression of the exterior is impressive.

Huge expansive reception area with friendly, welcoming, helpful staff.
Extensive casual seating/coffee tables for relaxation or meeting up.
Lift access is excellent and rooms/facilities easily locatable due to good signage.

Gym/exercise facilities are excellent, clean and of good quality.
The room booked was not only immaculate but also very well proportioned.

Bathroom had both large bath and power shower combined, with elegant mood lighting a nice touch
Bed was extremely comfortable with both soft and firm pillows supplied and marked.

Large wall mounted TV provided excellent entertainment options with both standard TV channels as well as on demand movie options, plus WiFi/Laptop connectivity in the room.

Tea and Coffee facilities were more than adequate. Ironing Board and Iron provided for the emergency creases!

Dining facilities were easy to find on the lower ground floor, welcoming staff directing guests to their tables.
Breakfast provided excellent options of Cereals, Toast, Fruit, Yoghurts, as well as a cooked selections as you'd expect.

Food was both well presented and got and cold in the right sections!
Check out was smooth and as warm as the check in.

Will definitely regularly return as my client is based nearby.

Facilities and service as they should be.

Highly recommended.

Top Tip: Close to a number of family attractions as well as a good stop off en-route to the Port of Southampton.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

WOW!!!

We are blown away with your comments, thank you so much Richard02271519.

We really do appreciate the time you have taken to write a review and I have passed on your lovely comments to all the team.

Thank you again and I hope that we will see you again soon.

General manager

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed lastnite with my wife and baby , was surprised how spacious the hotel was , the staff were lovely and friendly , we had a family room which was spotless , the bed was very comfy and we had one the best nites sleep , breakfast was lovely with a great aray of foods . We were very impressed with the whole experience and wished we could have stayed longer , thank you and we would highly recomend to family and friends , mr@mrs stroud

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank sunrize321
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thank you so much sunrize321 for a wonderful review!

I am delighted that you and the family had such a great nights sleep and enjoyed your short stay with us. It is great you enjoyed your breakfast and I do appreciate the time you have taken to write a response, never easy with a little one.

We hope to see you again

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Have stayed here on a number of occasions and this week stayed overnight on a business trip. I had arranged a meeting with clients and had some American colleagues with me - I had no hesitation in recommending this hotel to them.

The hotel is on the outskirts of Winchester, not a major problem, but if you are without a car or do not want to drive, you would need to get a taxi. The location its self is easy to find and nice and quiet. The hotel is modern and clean and the rooms are to a high standard. I always find the bedrooms comfortable and provide a good nights sleep.

For those occasions when travelling alone on business, when I don't always want to go out, this hotel is perfect. The food is excellent quality and I never have hesitation in eating in the restaurant for any meal.

I believe you do get what you pay for, but I have to say that when I leave here, I always feel I've gotten a bit more!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank us2plus2

Wow!!

Thank you so much for a fantastic review!! We really do appreciate your feedback and I have forwarded all your comments to the team especially the kitchen regarding the food!

And a special thank you for recommending your colleagues.

I hope to see you on your next visit, do come and say hello

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Overall this is a perfectly reasonable hotel and because of the fact it's still relatively new, it's in very good condition. The rooms are modern and good "generic hotel" quality and they were very clean bar a couple of tiny things like the drinks tray that could have been better cleaned. The hotel is outside of the centre of Winchester so I imagine this is perfect for business users, although for leisure users wanting to see or go out in Winchester, you should be aware you will need to get a taxi (or infrequent bus) into the city centre. The bathroom lighting is inadequate, especially for doing things like shaving or make-up. It would also have been useful to have some more toiletries and a shaving mirror in the room (no. 204). The rooms overall though are very pleasant and a good size.

Internet is a previously mentioned gripe. If Holiday Inn wish to differentiate themselves from the mundane chain competition, one of the ways they can do this is to allow free internet throughout. In the 21st Century I don't find paying extra for internet is acceptable in what is meant to be a "full service" hotel. I might add as per previous reviews that the signal is appalling, and I could barely get any internet service on 4G or otherwise in my bedroom (signal was better in public areas). I hasten to add that I make specific mention of this having been to a great hotel in Cyprus where I had FREE internet throughout the hotel, bedroom and even the grounds, so could pick up an excellent signal even as I sat on the beach with my feet dipping in the sea! Going back to the term "full service" I was also disappointed that such a modern hotel didn't have any leisure facilities. In a spacious site, it seems quite an omission to not have a pool or spa or gym.

My other main gripe is with the food quality. I didn't have a dinner or lunch, but the breakfast was poor. For a 4* hotel it was at an unnacceptable level, and the food was pretty much the cheapest possible 2* quality. The sausages and pastries were especially sub-standard in quality. The food was also not hot enough and the hot drinks service took forever to happen when it should be the first thing to happen on sitting at your table.

Aside from those points around food quality and internet, staff were friendly, and the hotel had a very clean and sophisticated feel about it. However, overall I would classify this as an average hotel, not least within its star rating and price bracket as while it was reasonably priced (I got a leisure discount of sorts) there are so many far better 4* hotels all over the UK.

Room Tip: I had a quiet room so had a great night's sleep although don't expect any decent views!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear RichP_1978,

I was quite disappointed to read your review after your recent stay. I would like to apologise for the shortcomings you encountered. We always try to deliver a great hotel guest loves, but it appears we fell short with you.

Free internet is offered to all of our IHG reward members, which is free to join and has lots of benefits. We are working on the best solution to improve our phone signal, including working with the network providers and local council as this area is in a particular poor coverage site. We find that turning of the 3G signal works for over 99% of our guests.

Your comments on breakfast were particularly disappointing especially regarding our locally produced award winning sausages. I know for some guests who are accustomed to "fatty cheaper" sausages that our prime meaty sausages are not to everyone's taste but we always want to offer the best we can.

Thank you again for your feedback, it certainly has highlighted some areas we need to work on which we are already working on.