Holiday Inn Winchester
  • Breakfast included
Giffard House(Winchester)
The Swan Hotel(Alresford)
1,057 results
All reviewsspacious hotelpeppa pig worldair conplenty of parkingexecutive roomfamily roomreception areashort drivegood sizefried eggsstayed here for one nightrestaurant staffreception staffbar menutea and coffeeevening mealcity centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Returned to Winchester with family for a weekend and decided to stay here due to the promising reviews. My son had stayed here previously when the hotel had been open a couple of months and the review had also been good.

Don't be put off by the prison-like exterior, the hotel is very warm and welcome inside! Very pleased to get a PC upgrade to executive rooms even on a busy Friday night. Beds very comfy and rooms were nice and quiet. Everything still looked new and my son commented that everything looked the same as had been with his previous visit. Had the most wonderful meal in the rebranded 'Brasserie'; the menu was extensive, adventurous and very good value. Quality of the food, especially the meats and the very good wine menu meant I was a little disappointed that we weren't dining there on the Saturday. The addition of a well equipped gym was a welcome addition for my son and his girlfriend, but for my wife and I we were a bit disappointed there was no pool/spa in a stylish hotel like this.

Just a couple of gripes, quite small really. The staff are friendly and efficient, but when you arrive late to the bar or the breakfast they don't seem to be that interested. We came back just after midnight on the Saturday and were surprised that no one was there to serve us apart from the night duty manager, for whom we had to wait quite a while. We arrived half an hour before breakfast was due to close on the Sunday and many people had cleared off already, but there was no table set for us and there wasn't a great supply of food left on the buffet. Thankfully we had breakfast included, but I wouldn't have paid the extra £15 or so (sorry don't know the exact price) if we hadn't. Other gripes not exclusive to this HI is the extortionate price for wi-fi, which in many other hotels is now free. In addition the mobile signal is poor, barely getting any in some places so some boosters could be added. Had an issue with temperature of the room - heavy wind from outside was coming through the window frame and made it very cold, but we were moved room and I understand the issue was raised with the GM and the window fixed.

All in all a good, well kept hotel in a quiet location outside the hustle and bustle of city. Would visit the restaurant again even if I wasn't staying at the hotel, it was THAT good.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room. More light and less noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear namth90,

Thank you for all your lovely comments regarding you and your families recent stay.

It’s always such a pleasure to read returning guests comments especially when they are still so positive, and also recognising the additions we have made since we opened which include our fabulous, residents only gym!

Firstly let me apologise for having to wait in the bar. I have spoken to my F and B regarding this and your comments over breakfast. also thank you for pointing out the issue with the window which was resolved.

It’s always heart-warming to read reviews of guests who so appreciate excellent food quality. We all work so hard, especially chef and his team to create interesting dishes using local produce. It’s great to see when it is appreciated.

I hope to say hello next time you are with us,

Reviewed April 5, 2013

A very clean and modern feel throughout. We had a family room with two double beds but it still felt spacious, however if I was being picky it could have benefitted from a little more hanging space. The public areas in the hotel, restaurant , foyer, bar etc were very light, spacious and airy, all new fittings and fixtures etc. the buffet breakfast was good and staff all pleasant and helpful. It is a quick drive into Winchester, which is fine but you couldn't walk anywhere from the hotel itself. A good base for sightseeing in the area. All in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend .

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you Rebecca J!!

It’s always great to get recommendations from our guests, we really do appreciate it.

Many Thanks

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Sitting just outside Winchester this Hotel gives you easy access to the M3 and M27. We used this hotel due to it's close proximity to Paulton's Park aka Peppa Pig World. That was around a 20min drive away.

Nestled in the country the Hotel seemed a pretty newly constructed eco-styled and in a very nice setting with ample free parking outside the Hotel.

Check-in only had 1 member of staff and i had to wait a number of minutes before i was seen to but was greeted politely and with minimum fuss. We received an upgrade to an Executive Room but the room seemed no bigger than a standard room with a relatively small bathroom as well. We made a cot request and it was nice to see it there when we arrived.

The decor was nice and modern and we had a nice size King Size bed which was very comfortable.

What stood this hotel out was the pleasant staff who met our every need.. we made special requests for the children's food requirements and the staff did not quibble or grumble with any of them.

The children made a fair bit of noise and did a lot of running around in the bar area with some other families children and not once did the staff complain. Rather they told us not to worry when we apologised for their over excitement.

Also noteworthy was the quality of the food.. incredibly good and served with superb presentation so that made-up for the abnormally high menu prices.

Only negative to report was the excessive warmth in the lower ground bar and restaurants.. not sure if they had a air conditioning problem the day we stayed but it was unbearable. Also at breakfast we had to request a high chair exchange after the first was smelly and unclean.

The reception area was very nice, spacious and relaxing. We had no fuss checking out either.

In all a nice hotel that would have got 5 stars but for the lack of a Leisure Pool. Nonetheless we would recommend a stay here for sure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Kul_uk,

Thank you for your lovely comments after your recent stay. I am really thrilled you had such an enjoyable stay and had such a great meal in our restaurant. We are very proud of the quality ingredients and local produce we use.

I hope if you are in the area again you will be returning to us

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Due to the nature of my work I have the pleasure (and sometimes not) of staying in many hotels across the country. The Holiday Inn in Winchester is in a different league from most Holiday Inn hotels. The hotel is new, modern, with a well equiped Gym, polite staff and fantastic food.

The rooms are spacious, clean with King size beds, every room has a large TV and large bath towels!!! (not the normal small ones you get in most Holiday Inns)

The bar area has Sky Sports, which is a must, and large comfortable dinning area.

In summary you will not be disappointed with the Holiday Inn in Winchester. The hotel, staff, facilities, food and rooms are consistant on each and every stay which is why in the summer (if it every comes!!) I will be booking a stay with my family.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris M

Thank you so much Chris M for your fabulous comments!

I know how hard it is being away from home so often so we are delighted that you enjoy staying with us.

Look forward to welcoming you on your return visit

Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is one not to avoid you will be rewarded the minite you walk through the door to a beautiful lobby and a warm welcome
It doesn't stop there your room is so spacious and clean with all the usual extras you get
food is of the highest quality and a great selection and no trouble from the chief to cook to you needs
Located a stones throw from the beautiful winchester a must to visit

You will feel and be treated so well from the fabulous staff

I thank you all at the holiday inn winchester for making me feel at home I

• Stayed: March 2013

wow!! Thanks Karl H!

I know you have stayed with us over several visits and its great to see we maintained your very high standards throughout your time with us!

I hope we see you again soon