“modern, clean and friendly”

Holiday Inn Winchester
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Gosport, United Kingdom
“modern, clean and friendly”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and our 6 year old son for one night in February after visiting INTECH science museum and planetarium, we booked a family room without breakfast which came to £68.

The hotel was very easy to find although I will add if you're coming at night those roads are very twisty turny! Lots of car parking and was in clear view of INTECH which was good for us. We grabbed our bag and went to check in. The lobby is large and open with an information table on local attractions. It's a very neutral tone in the place and nicely lit, overall I was impressed by first impressions.

We were welcomed by a couple of very friendly reception staff and my son was given a colouring in book welcome pack which he was chuffed to bits with (although he was a bit let down when he saw it was Peppa Pig seeing as he was a 6 year old boy!) and we made our way to our room.

The corridors were clean and uncluttered with an ice machine (which is literally ALL my son looks for in a hotel) and shoe shiner and we found our room easily. Nice spacious, decent sized room as in keeping with the decor of the hotel. Very funky green light under the sink in the bathroom plus quite possibly THE nicest, deepest bath I have ever used in my life. If anyone who works for holiday inn reads this and wants to send me on I would be eternally thankful! The usual tea and coffee making facilities were supplied as were toiletries and basic cable tv.

We unpacked then popped down to the bar for a quick drink, it was pretty quiet and we were served straight away by another cheerful member of staff...honestly it makes such a difference after travelling to speak to a friendly face and everyone here we encountered was so nice and smiley :)

After our planetarium show we made our way up to our room which was absolutely freezing-it was cold- thankfully the thermostat had clear instructions and heated up a treat really quickly. We got ready for bed, my son had a camp bed which was pretty comfy and a good size...he didn't fall out in the night like he usually does in hotel camp beds so it passed his test! Our bed was lovely too and suprisingly roomy, I also really appreciated the choice of soft and hard pillows!

All in all we had a great nights sleep, I would have given a 5 rating if it had not been for a party taking place that night which, although wasn't incredibly loud I could still hear a faint bassline from the disco which was kinda irritating...it didn't go on late though.

We would definitely stay here again, friendly, modern, spotless (kudos to the cleaners, honestly our room was pristine) and nice location....nice work holiday inn! :D

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
What an amazing review Claire D!!

Thank you so much for a truly fabulous review!! I am incredibly proud of our hotel and more so the team we have!! They always work so hard to ensure everyone is made to feel welcome!

Thanks again

Siobhan Thomasson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Slovak first
Caerleon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed during a business stay. it is a new Holiday Inn so is a standard above what I was used to. The room was enormous and very clean. The bathroom again was spotless but a bit basic. The restaurant was a mixed experience, The food was good but it lacks atmosphere on a quiet evening as guests are sat miles away from each other. If it were cheaper I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Hi DarrenC,

Thank you for taking the time to review us after your recent stay. It was good to see that generally you were pleased with your stay, although disappointed with dinner. Our prices reflect that virtually all of our food, from starters, main and dessert, and indeed breakfast are made fresh on the premises daily, from good locally sourced produce. We also do price comparisons with the local competition serving similar fare to ensure we are always competitive. I will be very conscious of your comments as we are just getting our new spring menu.

Many thanks again, and I do hope we can welcome you again in the future

Burntisland, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We only stayed here for one night in January prior to dropping our son at the Barracks. The room was spacious and clean and we had a good nights sleep. The sink in the bathroom was made for giants but the bathroom was fine otherwise.
There was a wedding on in the Hotel and this did not affect us in any way. The staff were friendly and professional, a real credit to the Manager. We were allowed early check in to our room and this was a godsend as we were exhausted. Any requests we made were dealt with in an efficient and friendly manner.
I really wanted to give 5 stars but in our experience the food was a let down. Dinner was not great although wonderfully presented. We did not think breakfast was value for money. The offering was poor value. I could honestly compare the breakfast equally with that offered at the Travellodge in London priced at £7.95 per head. We were shocked when we were charged nearly £50 for breakfast for 3 at the Holiday Inn. Lesson learned.
Overall, I would possibly stay here again due to the comfort and friendliness of the staff but I would be inclined to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jangles1
Dear Jangles1,

Thank you for your very kind review after your recent stay with us here. It is always such a pleasure to read such fantastic feedback on our team, who do work so hard to ensure that everyone has a great stay.

It was disappointing to read that dinner was a let-down. I you could email info@hiwinchester.co.uk, with your details I would like to investigate this further. Our breakfast prices are in line with the several hotels in the area, but we do offer breakfast vouchers and inclusive rates which offer excellent value for money.

Please let me know if you are in the area again.

london
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I really like big hotels especially when they are well designed, modern and well ran. The rooms are modern with the usual flat screened tv, kettle, smallish bathrooms with nicely designed decor. The staff where well mannered and helpful, breakfast was lovely served in a spacious environment. It could be luxurious with just a few little touches. As always the room temperatures are set a little too hot, and there wasnt too many cozy areas in this large hotel. Even so I'd go back since I quite like the anonymous quality that good large hotels leave you with

Room Tip: I'm pretty sure all the rooms are almost the same in this complex
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Laineydesanvito,

Thank you for your very kind comments after your recent stay with us!

We really appreciate all feedback and the time that you take to complete it.

I hope we will see you again when you are in the area.

Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I booked three rooms at the HI Winchester as a central venue to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday. We had the executive suite on a dinner b&b deal. Couldn't find any faults, the room is magnificent, well equipped and very clean, and the food in the al la cart restaurant was very good too. Service was great and everyone was really polite and attentive . The rest of our party both had double rooms and both couples were equally impressed with this hotel. Highly recommended

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fantastic review!! Many many thanks PompeyGez for such an amazing review!

I am thrilled you and your wife had such a fabulous stay as did the rest of your party!

I have passed on all your great comments to the team.

Many thanks again

London
Reviewed January 27, 2013

It’s a Holiday Inn – it gives what you would expect ie a good size, clean and comfortable room (that is probably identical to every other one – the 2 rooms I booked certainly were!). There is also plenty of parking as well – not to be sneezed at as parking in Winchester is difficult. But does it give value for money – particularly if you are not charging the bill to the company? I’m not so sure.

We stayed just before Christmas as we had come down to see the Christmas market in Winchester. (The hotel is actually a few miles outside Winchester in a fairly remote spot but in fairness don’t let that put you off staying here as a left turn out of the car park takes you straight into the town and close to where the cheapest long-stay car park is situated!) It also looks a fairly a new hotel so everything is clean and fresh and not cluttered and check-in was easy and pleasant.

But get just below the surface and everything isn’t so great. The room I booked for my daughter was charged at the same rate for single occupancy as the one my wife and I occupied; the heating in one of the rooms didn’t work properly – not what you want on a bitterly cold night; there were no bottles of water or biscuits provided in the room – small things I know but mean given the price charged for the rooms. (And yet ironically, we got given an “onward journey” bag which contained …. a bottle of water and biscuits!); internet usage seemed expensive to me; breakfast was a buffet affair which although perfectly adequate suffered from the food being left for too long eg hard bacon; and although we didn’t eat in the restaurant, the prices looked much more expensive than in similar restaurants in town.

To sum up, this hotel is perfectly adequate and I am sure most people will be quite happy with their stay. But it is bland and looks to me very much aimed at the business traveller. Personally, I believe it is possible to stay in a hotel with much more character in Winchester itself. And that is what I would do if I visited Winchester again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear VFRMOD,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay.

I was a little disappointed to read that you felt we were not value for money. As with many, many hotel groups our rooms are generally priced per room so you know exactly how much it is costing.

We also have a great variety of rooms, from triple rooms, family rooms and rooms with two double beds, which if your child is sharing your room, stays free and if under 12 years old, eats free. Sometimes this can be easier to book direct with the hotel. I do hope this helps.

I am sorry there was a problem with the heating. I am investigating this with our maintenance team.

I do hope that if you are in the area again you let us know so we can endeavour to ensure the best rates available for you.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Won a free nights stay here so can't comment on value for money as didn't pay! Our stay was great, had afternoon tea which was great. Restaurant area very nicely decorated. Rooms really clean and nicely presented, bathroom clean with plenty of hot water, our sink was blocked but didn't do much harm. Beds comfy, good facilities in room. Breakfast nice great service, found breakfast to be slightly limiting, just scrambled egg no fried etc but overall satisfactory. The hotel isn't in winchester centre so a taxi is needed but free parking which is a rarity! Overall great stay and will be coming again and happily paying full price next time!

• Stayed January 2013
Congratulations brontemay on your win!

We were delighted to welcome you to the hotel and so pleased you enjoyed your stay. When you stay again, just to let you know although scrambled eggs are out on the buffet you can order, fried, poached or boiled from the team. I hope this helps.

Look forward to seeing you again soon,