“Celebratory cream tea”

The Avenue Restaurant
Ranked #67 of 200 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Named after the elegant mile-long parade of lime trees which it overlooks, the Avenue Restaurant exudes old-school charm and elegance. Set in the 17th-century Lainston House Hotel, minutes from historic Winchester, this is quintessentially British cuisine which has earned three prestigious AA rosettes for its culinary efforts. Ingredients are supplied from the hotel's four-acre kitchen gardens, where guests can choose to dine al fresco. Outdoor terrace.
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Celebratory cream tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Visited this lovely country house hotel this afternoon. In spite of the miserable weather we were given a warm welcome. Had tea for five in the drawing room. It might have been nicer if the fire had been lit even though we are in the middle of May. Charming, attentive staff.

ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at The Avenue Restaurant, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear suen50
Thank you for taking to post your review after your recent visit. We are truly delighted to read about your celebrations and to hear that the team help to make your occasion even more special.

I agree with you, when the fires are lit in the Drawing room on a cold day the atmosphere is fantastic. This time of the year is a difficult one as it could be lovely (and hot) when the sun shines and a minute later the temperature drops if it becomes cloudy. We should be talking about afternoon tea in the gardens rather than in front of the fire!

Once again, thank you for your review - we look forward to seeing you back soon.

Shoreham by Sea
“3 rosettes here, and 3 stars from me too.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We know this hotel chain very well, having stayed at and eaten in all the hotels that belong to it. The Avenue was our final restaurant to try. We weren’t disappointed but we weren’t blown away either. The main issue here is the excellence of all the other main restaurants within the group, all of which are Michelin standard and absolutely fantastic. If I tell you my wife and I have eaten at The Pass at South Lodge over 40 times you’ll understand our knowledge of food and this group.
So that’s the first caveat here – we were expecting better. That aside, the food was very good but we both believe it was at 3 AA rosette level, which is where it is. We also don’t believe it’s anywhere near good enough to obtain 1 Michelin star as the flavours of most of the dished were just not comparative with other Michelin starred restaurants.
Also, I believe it is rather expensive. We had the 6 course tasting menu which came out at £65.00 each. With the wine flight this added up to £115.00 each, so with a service charge a dinner for 2, assuming you ate what we did, would be £250.00 approx, which is London Michelin star prices.
That aside the staff here were very good, and we liked the sommelier very much – the wine matching was excellent.
My final word has to be a problem, not one you’ll see often but one that needs mentioning here in case it happens to you.
The restaurant is very small, maybe 25 covers in a small and intimate room. It’s really for couples and romance. Except when we went in at 7.30pm there was a couple with a 2 year old child, who proceeded through the next 2 hours to be disruptive and noisy. This was not the place for a child! Not wanting to argue with ignorant and selfish parents we put up with it and complained the next day. We were told that children have to vacate the restaurant by 7pm, but unfortunately inexperienced staff allowed them in. I understand this puts staff in an awkward position, but everyone else in the restaurant was not happy about the child, so the hotel needs to ensure the staff get clear guidelines and proper training in how to cope with htiese types of situations. I mention this in detail because if I’d been aware that children had to be out by 7pm, I would have insisted they take up a separate room, which was readily available. So if the same happens to you, you’ll know the rules and what to do.
As it happens we were treated very professionally when we did complain, and we left the hotel very happy.
Whilst not happy about the kid in the room, my review and star rating is based solely on the restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Teamtango
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at The Avenue Restaurant, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Teamtango
Thank you for taking the time to review The Avenue Restaurant. It is through guest feedback that we can continue to work towards exceeding all your expectations in future visits.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time and that you found the team to be really good and the wine pairing to be excellent. We are really proud to be part of Exclusive Hotels - Holding 4 Michelin stars demonstrates the commitment to quality and innovation for the benefit of our guests. Phil Yeomans and the rest of the team are continuously developing new dishes focused on local seasonal produce and the harvest from our Kitchen Garden, taking advantage of the wonderful hampshire produce - I am confident the marks will be lifted from very good to special on your next visit.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any disruption caused to the enjoyment of your meal. I am satisfied with the actions the team have taken to ensure that this is not repeated. Thank you for taking the time to speak to the Duty Manager in the morning.

Winchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Warning- coffee terrible and very poor value!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Went to this hotel for a ladies-only gossip and coffee yesterday morning- coffee insipid and tasteless and served in small tea cups( no coffee jug or cafetiere) and bill for 6 coffees and 6 biscuits = £32.50 !!( included £2.50 service charge added in before bill presented)- felt like a rip-off and has implications for overall quality of catering at this hotel- is the food just as poor?

However, surroundings and ambience great and service friendly and considerate- so not all bad!

1 Thank rosie s
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at The Avenue Restaurant, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear rosie s,
Thank you for your review of your recent experience. We always take guest feedback as an opportunity to improve our service for future visits.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the surroundings and the service, but obviously less pleased to learn about your disappointment with the coffee on this occasion. We offer a wide variety of coffees, from a range of individually prepared speciality coffees to cafetieres to share and they are always served with a selection of our home baked biscuits.

I have had the opportunity to speak to the team member that served your table. Having gone through the morning service, it seems there may have been a misunderstanding with regards to the type of coffee ordered. We took the initial order for three decaffeinated americano coffees. As these are individual shots of decaffeinated espresso with added hot water they are served separately and do have a weaker taste than our standard cafetiere coffee. I understand a second round of coffees were also ordered and I can only apologise if the coffee selected was not explained at the time.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us - I will continue to monitor further feedback about the quality and strength of the coffee. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you require further assistance or indeed for future bookings.

Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“A real treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Avenue is simply a brilliant restaurant and a real treat! The quality of the local produce, imaginative menu and presentation is really fantastic! My family were made to feel really special and we loved all the wide selection of dishes we tasted over the two days we stayed at the hotel.
It is simply a crime that no Michelin star has been awarded - a real oversight!
Thanks for a super slice of culinary heaven!

• Visited April 2013
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at The Avenue Restaurant, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear TristanMS,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of Lainston and the Avenue Restaurant.

We are thrilled to see that our ethos to food, the menu and the service played a part on such a wonderful experience.

We look forward to seeing you back soon

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea at Lainston House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stunning, just stunning! I took my Mother, Father and Daughter here for my Mother's 65th birthday. I can't rate it highly enough! The staff were fantastic...all the staff. They couldn't do enough for us and were determined to make the afternoon special for my Mum. They even presented her with a lovely little gift too!

The afternoon tea was nothing less than superb! It started with two huge teapots containing loose leaf tea and an additional pot of hot water. There were a vast selection of different teas to choose from too. We were also asked on numerous occasions if we would like more tea (you can't have too much tea!)

We then had a vanilla pannacotta as an amuse-bouche which was truly delicious. Then the dainty finger cut sandwiches arrived with various fillings on the most delicious, different flavoured, fresh bread. At the same time as the sandwiches, a plate of beautiful pastries arrived too (and all placed on beautiful cake stands). The pastries included: rhubarb and custard tartlets, lemon drizzle cake, chocolate cake and passion-fruit macaroons.

As we finished the sandwiches, a waiter arrived carrying 2 covered plates which were put on the cake stand. Under the cover were fresh, warm teacakes and both plain and fruit scones. These were served with jam, lemon curd (to die for) and clotted cream.

There was more food than we could manage and the waiter gave us a box to take our leftovers home in. We were in no way made to feel that we needed to hurry our tea and I'm sure that if we needed anything in addition to what we had that it wouldn't have been a problem at all.

I know I have gone into a fair bit of detail but if you are looking for somewhere special to take someone then you need to know these kinds of things! We will definitely be going here again!

Dear Moonkatuk
We are so excited to read about your afternoon tea experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience - a very happy birthday indeed!

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our selection of Twinings loose leaf 'Rituals' teas, which are a perfect match for the savoury and sweet combinations of our afternoon tea.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful review. We look forward to seeing you soon - We are hoping to open the Terrace (weather permitting) at the begining of May and will be serving some fantastic casual lunches through out the week. A perfect excuse to enjoy the hotel and grounds.