“A real treat!”

The Avenue Restaurant
Ranked #67 of 200 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Named after the elegant mile-long parade of lime trees which it overlooks, the Avenue Restaurant exudes old-school charm and elegance. Set in the 17th-century Lainston House Hotel, minutes from historic Winchester, this is quintessentially British cuisine which has earned three prestigious AA rosettes for its culinary efforts. Ingredients are supplied from the hotel's four-acre kitchen gardens, where guests can choose to dine al fresco. Outdoor terrace.
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“A real treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Avenue is simply a brilliant restaurant and a real treat! The quality of the local produce, imaginative menu and presentation is really fantastic! My family were made to feel really special and we loved all the wide selection of dishes we tasted over the two days we stayed at the hotel.
It is simply a crime that no Michelin star has been awarded - a real oversight!
Thanks for a super slice of culinary heaven!

• Visited April 2013
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at The Avenue Restaurant, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear TristanMS,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of Lainston and the Avenue Restaurant.

We are thrilled to see that our ethos to food, the menu and the service played a part on such a wonderful experience.

We look forward to seeing you back soon

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea at Lainston House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stunning, just stunning! I took my Mother, Father and Daughter here for my Mother's 65th birthday. I can't rate it highly enough! The staff were fantastic...all the staff. They couldn't do enough for us and were determined to make the afternoon special for my Mum. They even presented her with a lovely little gift too!

The afternoon tea was nothing less than superb! It started with two huge teapots containing loose leaf tea and an additional pot of hot water. There were a vast selection of different teas to choose from too. We were also asked on numerous occasions if we would like more tea (you can't have too much tea!)

We then had a vanilla pannacotta as an amuse-bouche which was truly delicious. Then the dainty finger cut sandwiches arrived with various fillings on the most delicious, different flavoured, fresh bread. At the same time as the sandwiches, a plate of beautiful pastries arrived too (and all placed on beautiful cake stands). The pastries included: rhubarb and custard tartlets, lemon drizzle cake, chocolate cake and passion-fruit macaroons.

As we finished the sandwiches, a waiter arrived carrying 2 covered plates which were put on the cake stand. Under the cover were fresh, warm teacakes and both plain and fruit scones. These were served with jam, lemon curd (to die for) and clotted cream.

There was more food than we could manage and the waiter gave us a box to take our leftovers home in. We were in no way made to feel that we needed to hurry our tea and I'm sure that if we needed anything in addition to what we had that it wouldn't have been a problem at all.

I know I have gone into a fair bit of detail but if you are looking for somewhere special to take someone then you need to know these kinds of things! We will definitely be going here again!

Dear Moonkatuk
We are so excited to read about your afternoon tea experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience - a very happy birthday indeed!

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our selection of Twinings loose leaf 'Rituals' teas, which are a perfect match for the savoury and sweet combinations of our afternoon tea.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful review. We look forward to seeing you soon - We are hoping to open the Terrace (weather permitting) at the begining of May and will be serving some fantastic casual lunches through out the week. A perfect excuse to enjoy the hotel and grounds.

Camberley, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went to this hotel to celebrate my mum's 90th birthday with afternoon tea.
All the staff were friendly and attentive (but not overly so).
I have to mention in particular, the gardeners that we met in the Kitchen garden and the falconry. This was our first stop as we had arrived early. They stopped to chat, told us about the history of the garden and an informative talk about the birds of prey.
Afternoon tea was perfect. My mum was presented with a small gift and card to mark the occasion. We were sat by an open fire, perfect as the day was very cold despite it being the end of March.
One of the main reasons that I booked this hotel was because they provided an afternoon tea specifically for children at half price. It was perfect for my 8 year old, who ate everything (and a little bit of ours too!)
We loved it so much we have recommended it to friends for a similar occasion and we have booked sunday lunch and a falconry display with friends to celebrate an anniversary in July.
I would highly recommend this hotel!

ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at The Avenue Restaurant, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear brollycat
Thank you for taking the time of posting this wonderful review following your afternoon tea celebrations. I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable time and that we have a new fan on our little one.

It is particularly pleasing to see that you had the opportunity to speak to our gardeners. They all do an outstanding job keeping the Estate in shape and they are very knowledgeable about the most interesting places to visit in the grounds at different times of the year - there is plenty to enjoy at the moment.

Thank you for your endorsement, we look forward to seeing you in July. I would recommend you taking a look at our kitchen garden then, it will be at its peak.

Winchester, United Kingdom
“Very poor afternoon tea on Easter Sunday”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We live locally and patronise the hotel for special event meals. Up till now we have been very well pleased and I would expect to be giving 5 stars but on this occasion only one or two stars would be justified, so I have averaged to three stars.

We had been given a voucher for champagne afternoon tea and booked well in advance. The "champagne" was fizzy wine (quite good but not the real thing). The filled bridge rolls were stale and had obviously been in the fridge (already filled) for some considerable time. The finger sandwiches appeared to have been made of supermarket sliced bread, the fillings were unimaginative and quite mean. The toasted tea cakes were served un-buttered (no problem) but we had to ask for butter and wait several minutes for it to come. On the other hand, the scones were obviously freshly made and were delicious. The cakes were uninteresting and two were past their best.

Altogether a very disappointing experience. (By comparison we have twice in the last year had similarly described champagne afternoon tea in a 4-star hotel in Bournemouth for half the price and twice the quality.)

We will have to think very carefully about whether to book any further celebration meals at Lainston House - very sad.

ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at The Avenue Restaurant, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear RCL01962
Thank you for your review following your recent visit for afternoon tea. Guest feedback is very important to us. We would have loved the opportunity to discuss any shortcomings on the day so they could have been rectified immediately.

I was delighted to see that you had visited us previously and that you enjoyed the scones above the rest of the food on this occasion, but obviously less pleased to read about your dissapointment with the sandwiches and cakes. All our bread is produced in our bakery, fresh every morning and our sandwiches made with fresh local produce. We offer complimentary refills of any item from the afternoon tea menu. The team would have had no issues on replacing anything that was not up to our usual standards. Our offering is complemented by a wide range of premium leaf teas and coffees.

We are passionate about local produce and aim to reduce food miles where possible without compromising quality. One of the best welcomed changes was the introduction of Nyetimber English sparkling wine as our standard pour for our celebratory afternoon tea. Nyetimber is a world class sparkling wine produced just miles away and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed it.

I hope the team's service was at par with your preceding visits.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. I do hope that following your past experiences you would consider your return in the not too distant future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss your visit personally.

High Wycombe
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Whilst staying at the Lainston House Hotel we enjoyed a meal in the Avenue restaurant. Whilst engaging in a cocktail in the Cedar bar we were given a menu from which to choose our meal, we chose the tasting menu with suggested wines which was seven courses and six different wines which was an amazing culinary experience as we have limited knowledge regarding which wines are suited to certain foods. The staff were friendly attentive and knowledgable educating us about the food and wine. We had had a wonderful time and were made to feel very special. Thanks to all. Would definitely return.

ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at The Avenue Restaurant, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Allydiver,
Thank you for such a great review of the Avenue Restaurant. I would always recommend trying the tasting menu as this is the best way to fully understand our approach to food and Phil Yeoman's skills and flavour combinations. Peter Foulds, Head sommelier, has done a lot of work to match the right wine from the cellar to these dishes and it is delightful to read that you enjoyed the whole experience.
I am sure that the team will be as thrilled reading your comments as I am now. We look forward to welcoming you back.