“if only people could learn from them”

La Place Bistro & Froggies Bar
Ranked #20 of 208 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2011

i was there for dinner a little while ago.
the place wasnt too busy but i found the hospitality to be second to none.
i had a great meal and very good service.
the guys behind the bar were great ( roberto and seb ) they made me feel like at home.
i would recommend this place to evryone looking for a great food and service and overall the best hospitaly by far in winchester

There are newer reviews for La Place Bistro & Froggies Bar

Reviewed March 7, 2011

Popped into la Place for a quick coffeeon Saturday 5 March 2011 as everywhere else we tried in Winchester was packed with queues. Surprisingly La Place was empty but we soon discovered why.

For two j2O's and a coffee they charged over £8.

the glasses that the J2O's came in were dirty and smelt and tasted like they had been dried with a dirty cloth. half of the coffee was spilt in the saucer with no apology.

The table was smeared with finger marks and the floor needed a good sweep.

Amazingly whilst we were there there was a steady stream of people nipping in to book for Sunday Lunch. I cannot understand why.

i counted five staff hanging aroung doing nothing when they could have been cleaning.

1  Thank GGGSarnia
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We visited here on a busy Saturday lunchtime. Nice surroundings - we were sat upstairs, which feels a bit more formal than downstairs, with tablecloths rather than bare tables. Service was very efficient - perhaps too much so - as food was delivered briskly without asking if we wanted dressing/sauces etc. But very friendly. One of our waitresses said it was her first day, but she was friendly and helpful. Quite a mix of people there, from families with young children to older couples. I had goats cheese and mushroom which was delicious, and my partner had a burger and chips. Much to his surprise and delight they asked him how he wanted it cooked (a sign its made fresh today!) although it came without a bap which wasn't expected. More of a steak than a burger. It was delicious though. Followed by an amazing maple and pecan tart to share and a beer/coke, and the whole thing came to £30. Very nice.

Reviewed February 27, 2011

La Place has it all for me, the food is always good, the current winter menu is lovely and varied, and they have finally added a bit of variety by having a special. A few of my favourites are the scallops or souffle for starter and the pork belly for main - delish!

The service by both the owners is fantastic, very warm and friendly with a real sense of fun, many diners are greeted as old friends.

If I was to be picky about anything its that if you hacve the table by the bar it can sometimes feel as though someone is sitting on your shoulder and can get a litt;e noisy there. Also £3.50 for bread for two feels a little steep

But even with these couple of things its still one of my very favourite places to eat in Winchester

Reviewed February 3, 2011

My wife and I went to Winchester on a day out when we decided to go for lunch . We stopped in the square and immediately a couple were talking about a place call froggies . We decided to check it out because of the name. The welcome was very friendly but professional and the atmosphere very French and relax. The food was Fantastic with a choice of very good snacks and an excellent rib eye cooked to perfection Wich I ve had with excitement . My wife went for the plat du jour Wich was brill again perfectly cooked . 2 large glasses of cote du Rhone were recommended to us Wich again went fanstaticly well with our taste .we will go back again and recommend that experience to all our friends. Bill was £50 incl tips well deserved . Carry on we love it.