“Fixed menu excellent value”
Review of Brasserie Blanc

Brasserie Blanc
Ranked #14 of 208 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Split over two floors with balconies, a secret courtyard, a small private meeting room and a great bar, our newly refurbished restaurant is full of cosy corners and fabulous character. Now open from 8.30Am every day (9.30Am on Sundays) for breakfast, coffee & pastries, lunch, afternoon tea, drinks and dinner, there is a perfect spot for everyone. With all the exciting changes we are pleased to be able to say that you can expect the same delicious food and friendly staff as we continue to bring you simple, seasonal French fare cooked with heart, and served with real warmth.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We visited on a Thursday evening at 18.30 (you can order the lunch-time fixed menu - two courses for £10.95, three for £13.50 - until 19.00). The table we were given suffered from a powerful breeze coming through the open door into the restaurant's garden. We moved to a calmer table on the far side of the restaurant. To accompany the first course, I ordered a basket of sliced stone-baked baguette (£1.50). This was grey-brown in colour, obviously freshly baked and quite delicious.
For my starter I ordered Gazpacho. This was absolutely fine and decorated with a peppery variety of celery. The recipe is given on the Brasserie Blanc website. My wife started with a slice of onion tart. To my eye, this looked thin and rather flat but she told me that the taste was excellent. For our main course we both chose the crayfish and mango salad with a potato salad tower in the middle (£2 supplement). This proved to be a great choice. The crayfish were marinated in mango juice and consequently very succulent. The Cole & Mason fresh pepper and salt grinders worked very well, as they always do.
If you dine from this menu, you can order a 175ml glass of house white or red for only £2.50 (instead of the normal £4.20). I see that other reviewers were disappointed with the quality of the house wines, but you cannot quibble when you bear the price in mind. It was perfectly acceptable French plonk, with quite a strong taste; it enhanced our pleasure from the supper as a whole. (If you order from this menu after 19.00, the price rises to £14 for two courses.)
The service was fine. When I enquired if a service charge added to the debit card bill would be given to the waitress, I discovered that only 50% goes to the waitress. We were happy to tip in cash, after hearing this, and it was appreciated.

3  Thank BroLucius
There are newer reviews for Brasserie Blanc

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The ambience is good, the service on our visit was just OK. We were told some dishes were no longer available, thats fine it happens, but when you decide what you want to order you don't expect the server to then say 'Oh that's off too'.
Food was nicely presented, however I'm not convinced the staff were at their best on our Sunday evening visit. It is a pity it took the gloss off a special evening.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Very pleasant restaurant and good food. Had to try the steak tartare as a starter and with helpful tips from the waitress was not disappointed. Scallops, crab and excellent French fries - this was a great venue for a hot summer evening. A really good selection of wines by the glass and as we couldn't decide we were given tasters of three white wines to help us . Now that's what I call good service!
Restaurant was not full but we felt rushed over what should have been a leisurely meal. We really did not need to have the courses served so quickly. Breathing space would have been nice. Other than that couldn't fault it, and all at a very reasonable price and with a friendly service.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We choose this restaurant to celebrate my mum's birthday, and we weren't disappointed. The menu was extensive and reasonably priced, a set dinner menu 3 courses for £13.50. The food we ordered was well presented and the service was efficient even though the restaurant was busy. I would definitely eat here again and would highly recommend it.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stopped by for a meal on Saturday night and found the staff at the bar and restaurant to be most helpful and welcoming. We ordered a taxi from our own number which never turned up! So the staff called us one and nothing was too much trouble - would visit again without a doubt!