“Ok food with uninterested staff”

ASK Italian - Winchester
Ranked #73 of 207 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on the High Street, we've created a restaurant with a distinctive new look inspired by modern Italian design. And with the help of our expert friends, including awarding-winning chef Theo Randall, we've created a menu that features a range of simple, classic Italian food and an all Italian wine list.
Wales
“Ok food with uninterested staff”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I took my team here for an early dinner on a Monday night, there were 10 of us and we had vouchers from voucher code which we told the waitress about on our arrival. With only 6 other diners we thought the service would be great but it was rubbish! It took 20 mins to take our food order but we hadn't even taken our coats off and were asked what we wanted to drink!! When one if my party asked what was 'good on the menu tonight' the waitress answered "pizza or pasta" as everything on the menu was pizza or pasta that was the worst possible bit of advice. The food did finally turn up and then on paying the bill we were then told the voucher would only cover 6 if us!!!

1 Thank Janet H

Bournemouth
“Good Food and Wine with Average service”
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for afternoon lunch. Only two other tables occupied in the restaurant. Had a nice sharing plater of cured meats, cheese and bread with a lovely Sicilian Red. For main a chicken and pancetta salad and a sea food casserole. Both dishes were ok but will not order the salad again. I expected better service from the team as no one offered more wine, or sides, or try to up sell anything. No one asked how was the meal or checked back during starter or mains. Lots of missed opportunities there. We probably would have spend more if the staff paid more attention to us. Left feeling a little bit deflated.

southampton, hampshire, United Kingdom
“Worst service ever!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Generally Ask chain of restaurants are good-very good service wise, but this time it was unbelievably unprofessional!

Aside from the supervisory manager seating us and being lovely, the 'delivery' staff were rude, impatient and sarcastic! There were 7 of us booked at a table with an over sized sieve of pumpkins which were impractical when the large pizza boards came out. The 'server' was impatient with us moving everything around, and finding space for the sieve of pumpkins without an offer to help. None of us ordered wine, yet the wine glasses were left on the table to clutter it up, and we were expected to move them to make room.

Note: the restaurant was hardly busy, between 2-3pm on Sunday.

Each time a place or drink was delivered it was with a 'sorry!' impatient/rude tone, and by a grumpy looking waitress/waiter.

Dessert time, delivered WITHOUT cutlery.....so when a member of our party asked politely the bar staff for some the simple was retorted with a 'yeah in a minute' sarcastic tone. When cutlery was delivered we received soup spoons, for cheesecake?!

Quite unbelievable that I even wasted my time booking there when two other Italian restaurants were probably better.

• Visited March 2013
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“Fab Referb.”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Went here for an evening meal last Tuesday.
I had the Chef's Special Salad. It was very filling but a little bland and my wife had two starters which she enjoyed and we shared profiteroles.
The olives at the start were a bit hard. Not ripe enough really. Have had much better.
The service was ok but DON'T sit at the back downstairs. It is too busy for a very small area as we found out.

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A frozen meal might have been better”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had reserved a table and waited longer for our table than those walking in. That was discouraging. But, because it was a busy place I thought it had to be good. Not. Everyone, with the exception of my husband felt a bit cheated. My friend had ravioli. She felt a tinned version might have been better. The lasagna her husband had was horrible, he joked about the frozen version from Aldi, which probably had better portions of meat. My daughter ordered the linguini. She felt they had served it from a jar. My meal, the chicken and mushrooms, was okay but it took loads of parmesan, salt and pepper to make it tasty. My husband asked for a simple pepperoni pizza and loved it. So maybe that's what we should have ordered and skipped the rest of the menu all together? I am not sure it would have been cheaper.

• Visited February 2013