“Nice room........”

The White Star Tavern
Ranked #9 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Bedroom and bathroom very nicely fitted out, comfy bed and surprisingly quiet despite facing the main pedestrian road. Food in restaurant average - no better than that if that. Not to point it made it worth saying other then "all ok" when asked but would eat elsewhere if stayed there again (fish and chips with thick stodgy batter and limited fish inside). Which I would without a doubt. Very friendly helpful staff

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The White Star Tavern

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I visited here on a Saturday night as a party of 12 booked in for dinner at 8.00. I've visited the White Star once before for Breakfast and didn't have a fantastic time then, but was looking forward to an evening visit as the bar looks very nice inside and out.

There is a wide food selection on the menu, but we were limited to choosing from the reduced group dining menu. Our group table was right in the middle of the bar area which is really, really loud on a Saturday night. This is definitely a pre-club bar and was rowdy. Friendly, but very difficult to hear your friends sat opposite you when trying to have dinner.

Food was poor and I was really disappointed. 3 of our party and I all ordered a burger and all of us though it was awful. The patty was described as a 'steak burger' but we weren't asked how we would like them to be cooked. On arrival the burgers were rare to the point of being blue and cold in the middle. I like rare steak, but absolutely not rare mince. For a burger that costs £13 we should most definitely have been asked how we would have liked them to be cooked.

One of my friends is pregnant and was cautious about eating something so rare, so sent it back to be cooked further. It came back and was pretty much the same. We ate the chips and ignored the bleeding burgers.

Service was friendly although staff were clearly pretty rushed of their feet- we had to ask for drinks orders a couple of times before they finally arrived.

Overall, I think if I had visited this place for a drink and not food I would have had a better time. Food was not great and I wouldn't return for that, although I would visit again to meet friends before going out.

We were given cards at the end of the night inviting us to review our experience on Trip Advisor- so here it is! I notice the staff reply to reviews pretty much dismissing the claims of reviewers, so just to add that I've been as objective as possible in my comments- the food really wasn't great!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bp83
WhiteStarTavern, General Manager at The White Star Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for leaving your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was very surprised when reading the issues that you have noted. I personally did two satisfaction checks to your table and each time was not notified of any issue and was infact adamant that you were all happy and content with the food that you were served. I was informed during your main course that one of your party would have liked her burger cooked to ‘well done’ due to pregnancy, this was rectified and seemingly done without issue. Due to your clear dissatisfaction, I would very much like to review all the issues, with you on a personal basis and will be most grateful if you could contact me so that we can discuss all the points that you have raised.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Found this place via Michelin website which I find to be a good judge of quality. Service and location was very good as was the drink choices however food was disappointing. Fish and chips was very greasy and not pleasant, there was no children's menu so we ordered a side of ribs which was dry and tasteless and side vegetable dishes were cold when served, unsure if we got a bad night when we went as other reviews seem to suggest better quality.

• Stayed: October 2012
WhiteStarTavern, General Manager at The White Star Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for leaving a review on Trip Advisor, following your visit to the Restaurant at The White Star. It is evident that we did not meet your expectations and for this i am truely dissapointed. We do serve countless Fish and Chips throught the week and recieve only positive feedback regarding overall quality with this dish, I will sit down with our Head Chef and review your comments. Your point regarding cold side dishes and tastless Ribs, is again, an issue that I have never had to deal with but I can assure you, that all your feedback will be reviewed. Like you did mention, a high majority of our reviews are very positive and I do hope that this will tempt you to return to The White Star, for what I am sure will be a better overall experience.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a great little place to stay at the heart of the centre in Southampton.

I fould the rooms to be to a very high standard, the staff polite and friendly and the food was really good.

I look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: First floor is above the bar area so best to get a higher level.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank EdinburghColin

I thank you for your very kind feedback. I will ensure that your comments regarding friendly staff is passed on and we very much look forward to your return to The White Star.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

A combination Boutique Hotel and Gastro Pub, The White Star Tavern is justifiably highly rated. What deficiencies there were (many steep stairs, dirty stair carpets, inadequate in room seating and lack of horizontal surfaces for holding personal items) were more than a made up by the friendly and helpful staff in both the hotel and the pub. The beds are the most comfortable, the free wifi the fastest, and the rainhead shower stall the best. Service at breakfast was slow and disorganized, but service at dinner was the best. The pub is not inexpensive ($4 for three slices of bread, butter, and oil), but the food from the moules to the liver was the freshest and well prepared and presented. A place we enjoyed and hope to return to.

Room Tip: Ask about noise from the street and from below (if in a lower room).
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 22club58

Thank you for your very honest and valuable feedback following your recent stay at The White Star. I can assure you that your less positive comments have already been reviewed, infact I can already confirm that a new carpet will be laid in our hotel corridores. Whilst we will look at all these points in order to improve, I will pass on your thanks' to the staff that made your overall experience a nice one. It is pleasing to read that you hope to return, we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

A very pleasant small hotel with excellent service - the hotel manager was particularly nice and helpful - and a great restaurant (in the rear of the downstairs pub, which is also very good) with surprisingly good food and truly friendly staff. Our room, not large but comfortable, had all required amenities inluding free wi-fi; the street outside is a pedestrian zone so there was no traffic noise. Since the hotel is in an old building there are some stairs to climb and the layout is a bit confusing, but nothing to worry about; the hotel staff was very helpful in giving directions and efficient in handling our luggage. The location is close to the port so ideal if you're boarding (or coming off) a cruise ship.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Your kind review is very much appreciated and I will make sure that this will passed onto all The White Star team. You made reference to the polite and helpful staff - this is great to read, as we do put much focus on a friendly but yet professional service and it is clear to see that this was experienced on your visit. Many Thanks 'once again and I do hope to see you the next time you set off on a Cruise from Southampton.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed and ate in the White Star Tavern during the Southampton Boat Show.
We had stayed some two or three year previously and really enjoy our visit.
On our visit this time, the room was comfortable but looking a little tired.
Our meal was spoilt when we commented that the Summer Green Vegetables at £3.50 were disappointing, in that all that was provided was a small dish of cabbage.
So obviously not a big issue, however, the atmosphere which this created spoilt our evening.
The manager, obviously unhappy with our feedback, brought carrots as a substitute.
These he added to our bill: £7.00 for some very nice carrots and a small dish of cabbage.
I would not have bothered to feed this back to Trip Advisor, but I have just found a card from the hotel saying: Go on, be candid, do us a favour, let Trip Advisor know how you feel about us.
We'll stay at Jurys Inn next time for larger, smarter rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Grandmother88

Thank you for placing your review with Trip Advisor. I am so very sorry that your stay with us during The Southampton Boat Show this year was not as memorable in comparison to recent years. Regarding the Summer Green Vegetables, I can confirm that this does comprise of Histi and Savoy Cabbage together with large Leaf Spinach, I am sorry that you were not happy with this side order.I can confirm that you were infact charged to for both the side orders as they were consumed and the Manager was informed that you request the Carrotts as an 'extra order'. Thank you for taking the time in posting this review, following our request to you, as we do spend time in reviewing the reviews, as we feel that this gives us goals and actions to set from both positive and negative comments.