“Great place to stay”

The White Star Tavern
Ranked #6 of 44 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed here for one night mid week. As I booked at the last minute, and we are in the christmas season they unfortunately had no availability for dinner, however I do not view that as a negative on this review. From the moment I arrived I felt that I was superbly looked after. Shown from the bar through to reception, talked with pleasantly and in a friendly manner then shown my room. All of this done in a thoroughly professional manner.
This place is far more boutique hotel than B&B, in fact I wouldn't ever consider it a B&B unless you are looking for a few of the hotel touches such as room service.
The room was small but very clean and well appointed. The bathroom had a lovely big shower and great towels. All in all a great example of making the most of a small space. Even though the restaurant was crowded and noisy, great for a convivial evening drink, the room was quiet, the bed comfortable and I slept like a log.
Breakfast in the bar was superb, a great change from most hotels repetitive and anodyne buffets. You choose from about 10 choices and it is cooked fresh for you using the best ingredients, definitley the best start to a day I have had in a long time.
If I come back to Southampton I will stay here again, but I will try and book the restaurant in advance.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Wonderful food in the pub, great breakfast and w nice room. Overall experience was excellent. Would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Some rooms are on the street side.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
WhiteStarTavern, General Manager at The White Star Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Thank you for posting such a positive review. I am really very pleased that we made your stay so comfortable and all the services that we offer were very much to your liking. I have no doubt that we will see you prior to your next cruise from Southampton.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Popped in here on spec for lunch during a shopping trip to Southampton. Would classify this as a gastro-pub and extremely good it was too, certainly ticked all the boxes. Very interesting menu and about as far removed from pub grub as you can get. The only very minor criticism we might have had was that the food took a bit too long to appear. Entirely understandable though as it was a busy Saturday lunchtime and when it did appear it was excellent indeed, obviously all freshly prepared. I didn't give a monkey's and happily downed another beer. Wife and Sister-in-law keen to get on to IKEA though! Would certainly also mention the staff who were extremely helpful and attentive. Top marks, would go again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Hudwit

I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable experience whilst dining at The White Star, prior to your trip to Ikea. I will pass your comments onto the staff, we do strive for them to be attentive, friendly and helpful and it great for them to recieve this feedback, thank you very much. Our food is o the standard of 2 AA Rosettes and we do recieve many good positive comments about our food quality, I am glad that you found this so. We look forward to seeing you again at The White Star.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

If you want a friendly place to stay, with a pleasant staff, then this is your place. The hotel only has 13 rooms. The rooms have been updated and are acceptable. The location is convenient and you can walk to a lot of sites, close to town center.
What I liked: Great staff, rooms clean, good food(Its pub food with a twist, very good, will review the food on rest.side of this site) . What I didn't like: Room very small(had to store my luggage in bath room). As the rooms are located over a bar, you can expect weekend noise. The tavern is a popular place with the 20 to 30 crowd, mostly young men. No elevator, and narrow stairs. (staff will help with luggage).

You should also know the hotel is not handicap accessible., nor would I recommend it for any family with children.

Room Tip: no a/c in rooms, make sure you get a large room. Best to confirm large room with staff.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your feedback following your pre cruise stay at The White Star. I am pleased to read that you found all the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. As confirmed with you during your stay, we would recommed that you book one of our larger bedrooms, especially if you have excess luggage, I would have liked to have upgraded you from your Standard Double, however a were fully booked and this was not possible. We do look forward to welcoming you back and we will ensure your next visit is as memorable as your first !

Reviewed November 10, 2011

My wife and I spent 2 nights here in October 2011,

Upside: Excellent room, friendly staff, reasonable rate and attached to a good restaurant.
Downside: A little noisy on Friday and Saturday evening.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review. I am very pleased that following your stay you would recommend The White Star to others. I am sorry that you heard general noise from your bedroom, next time we can certainly look at reserving what can be a quieter room. Thank you for noting that the room was very good and the staff were friendly, I will certainly pass your comments onto the staff.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

We were due to sail from Southampton for the first time and were looking to spend some time in Southampton before we set sail. The staff were extremely helpful and communicative in both the booking of a room and when we arrived. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they helped put our minds at ease throughout our short stay. The food, drink and service were excellent and the staff were so kind that it was almost as if we'd come to stay for a month rather than just overnight. They had no problems with us leaving our baggage in the hotel whilst we explored the city before our voyage was due and booked a taxi for us when we were ready to go. It was as if they sensed our 'stranger in town' look and were only too willing to help. The room was more than adequate and the bed was lovely to sleep in. We consider ourselves very lucky to have found such a gem.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
WhiteStarTavern, General Manager at The White Star Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2011

Tahnk you very much for the Positve Feedback following your stay with us, prior to your sail from Southampton. We do accomodate many Cruise voyagers such as yourselves and it is always good to have such good feedback. I do hope that we will see you again, prior to your next sail.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel just for one night but have to say that we would have spent more time if we could. Our bedroom was very clean and bed confortable. The bathroom was big and clean. The wardrobe was very small so if you stay longer just let them know you need more space. Apart from that, everything was perfect, people very friendly and helpful. Customer service excellent. I defenitely reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

I thank you for your feedback following your short stay with us, I do hope, that as you expressed the wish to stay for longer, there will the opportunity for you to do so in the near future. I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding Excellent Customer Service to all the staff involved.