“Oh dear, standards slipping ”
Review of Kam's Palace

Kam's Palace
Ranked #246 of 890 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We visited with the kids at mid - afternoon on a Saturday. The food was good - the waitress sas polite and friendly. But we had to wait forty minutes for each course, and they got wifey's meal wrong twice, oh, and it was really cold in the.

We'd promised the kids luxury Chinese dining, as befitted the external architecture, but we'll think twice before returning.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

My mother is Chinese from Malaysia and I have been eating dim sum regularly for 30+ years. I must have had dim sum over 500 times in countries including Malaysia, Singapore, Germany, US and the UK and in my opinion Kam's has the highest quality ingredients and tastiest food of any restaurant I have ever been to.

Dim sum is served from 12:00 and by 12:05 at the weekend it is often packed. People come from as far as Poole and Chichester to eat here at the weekend. The majority of customers are Chinese like my family as this is a very well regarded restaurant within the Chinese community. Food is very important socially to the Chinese and whenever we have a large or small family gathering we usually go for dim sum on a Sunday morning. I believe this restaurant is so popular because of the quality and authenticity of the food.

If you are new to dim sum I would recommend the following dishes that are favourites of my English friends:

Siu Mai - steamed pork and prawn dumplings (by far the best siu mai I have tasted)
Har gow- steamed prawn dumplings in a delicate translucent rice flour shell
Char Siu bow - barbecue pork in a soft fluffy white bread
Squid cakes (I don't know the Cantonese for this one) - like very tasty fish cakes.
Cheong fun - like a cannelloni. We like the beef ones the best.

Also you always get unlimited complimentary jasmine tea. Hint - if your teapot is empty simply move the lid so that it is half open at an angle and this is the signal for the waiters to refill it as they pass.

My sister has a very fussy 4 year old who they battle with every mealtime at home. Whenever we come here she loves the food so much she always devours it recklessly and with a smile on her face too. I think for her going for dim sum is the highlight of one of my visits. Added bonus - they have a small koi pond with some amazing looking fish that my niece loves to watch too.

Lunch will usually cost £8-12 per person. The service is very fast and efficient and the restaurant itself is very large and well decorated. This is the finest quality food of it's kind in the local area and much better than anything I have had in Chinatown London. If you have never had dim sum before you should try this restaurant. You will enjoy it.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We arrived in the restaurant on a Tuesday evening. It was a quiet night and the restaurant was quite empty, however I believe it gets busier as the week progresses.

We were promptly seated and given menu's. We elected for banquet C. Plenty of food for the 4 of us, the service was reasonable, the food piping hot with the exception of the rice. The food was tasty, but nothing special. Disappointing that they add a service charge - as they charged us enough.

Don't feel we need to go back as it was not that special or memorable - it was average.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I occasionally visit Kams Palace with friends and family as a treat. The food is always served in generous portions and cooked to perfection. ... The bill at the end always leaves you with a burnt hole in your pocket. I will be back but only for special occasions - It's a little pricey!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I was in the area on business and thought Id give it a try. I had crispy spring roll to start which was fine, then half aromatic crispy duck, one member of staff takes you order, another brings your food and another brings your bill, there were about 20 odd people dinning but was still completely empty. The car park is absolutely enormous, its like a landing strip.
The food was ok, good portion sizes and tasty