“Huge place strange atmosphere”
Review of Kam's Palace

Kam's Palace
Ranked #248 of 887 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I was in the area on business and thought Id give it a try. I had crispy spring roll to start which was fine, then half aromatic crispy duck, one member of staff takes you order, another brings your food and another brings your bill, there were about 20 odd people dinning but was still completely empty. The car park is absolutely enormous, its like a landing strip.
The food was ok, good portion sizes and tasty

Reviewed October 10, 2013

There's always a great atmosphere when you pop in to Kam's at the weekend for a lunchtime treat of Dim sum (the Chinese version of Spanish Tapas).
The restaurant is nearly always full & is very popular with the local Chinese community - which must be a good sign.
The varied menu encourages you to be adventurous - with many Chinese dishes that you might not have tried before, I'd recommend the 3 meat rice, wanton noodle soup, pork dumplings & squid with curry sauce.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We went on Friday the 13th September......mmmm, maybe we shouldn't have gone on that day, but we went with friends to do an early birthday celebration. We were 10 minutes late for our booking but the weather was filthy,raining and just altogether horrid. We received no real welcome and the whole evening continued in the same vein. The service was frosty despite our attempts to be super- congenial and they cleared glasses away even though we hadn't finished eating. If the restaurant was heaving then being a bit 'off' with us being a little late could have been understood, but it wasn't. The food was lovely and we ordered plenty with wine, having a total bill of £190 between 4 of us. I wouldn't go back though, they were just too unfriendly.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have been here a few times. We visited the restaurant again this summer during our visit to the South coast. The restaurant is very big and has it's own large car park so it is convenient.

The restaurant was clean and they were very welcoming. There are quite a few waiter/waitress so there is always someone around even through they are not the quickest at re-filling your tea pot.

We had Chinese Dim Sum and it was it's usual high standard. It was very nice. The price is reasonable. Noodle and rick dishes are quite expensive at just under £10. This is in comparison to eveywhere else including London but it is not overly expensive and you get a big plate so I had not problems with that.

The restaurant is children friendly so you do not have to worry if you have young children. Mine are older now so this does not affect me anymore but I think it is worth mentioning as I remember what it was like for us when they were little.

Overall, it was a good experience and I will definately return.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is an interesting place. I eat here quite regularly as it's the only Chinese on the way home from work to the B&B. The place is huge and I've eaten here on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. There must be seating for 100 plus but there is seldom more than 10 people in. Why not more? Well my guess is that the prices charged exceed what the local population are generally prepared to pay. Is the food bad, no, it's OK. Is the service poor, no, it's very good. But all in all it's a bit dead and a bit on the expensive side.

The evening Dim Sum is good value and of good quality. Here though is why I'm rating this as average. The benchmark dish for me in a Chinese is sweet and sour pork. Now I know if you've eaten in China that S&S in the UK bears no resemblance to authentic Chinese food however it is a good comparative benchmark in the UK. The S&S in this establishment uses the ubiquitous bought in sauce from the Chinese supermarket wholesaler which is very sweet. The pork in batter is likely to be supplied frozen in bulk. You could at least deep fry it until it is crispy. On the three occasions I've had it, it's been 'soggy'. Not to the extent of being unpalatable but just not as good as it could be. It feels like it's been cooked with indifference.

The fried rice is fresh, not too greasy and heavy. I should recommend the Dim Sum, all of which I've had to date has been cooked fresh.

Ambience is VERY quiet but bear in mind I've only been in on a Tuesday and Wednesday evening.

Service is attentive if a little formal. The latter being a very personal opinion as many might like the formality.

This is the most expensive Chinese I've eaten in outside London. However in London I'd eat better quality far more cheaply in China Town

1  Thank Mike G