“Good service and atmosphere, rubbish food that upset my stomach”
Review of The Cowherds

The Cowherds
Ranked #132 of 901 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: British, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Cowherds in Southampton is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar. Well behaved dogs are welcome in the tiled section of our pub. Choose from casual and formal dining Monday to Friday, same menu.
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The atmosphere, service and drinks here are fine, but the food leaves a lot to be desired. Wife and I had the very reasonably priced three course lunch. She had soup, scampi and churros which were all passable if unremarkable pub fare. I went for the bacon and stilton salad to start, rainbow trout and churros. The 'salad' consisted of bacon, a few lumps of stilton and some wet shredded iceberg lettuce. That was it as far as salad vegetables go. The trout was grilled, but apparently only on one side as the skin was still silver and unpleasant to eat. It should be crispy or absent completely. The salad with my main was droopy and the new potatoes tiny and shriveled. Worst of all, my meal at the Cowherds resulted in an evening on the john with terrible diarrhoea - I've no doubt that something in my meal caused this as the last thing I had eaten before this was some toast at breakfast many hours before. My wife avoided the bug, luckily as she is heavily pregnant. We will not be visiting here again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,165)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was very disappointed with the food at the Cowherds recently. Went with family including a visiting cousin from the States. We wanted to take him to a decent pub for the experience as much as anything else. The atmosphere was good, the staff were friendly, but the food was an embarrassment. I had a prawn cocktail that consisted of 3 medium sized prawns lying on a plate next to a whole lettuce leaf and a small pot of sauce, no bread, no frills. Maybe it supposed to be a 'deconstructed' prawn cocktail but even that would be generous! Our cousin ordered the lamb shank pie and when it came out I thought it was a joke. It consisted of a small ceramic pot with mashed potato in it that had a bone sticking out of the top of it! Maybe this was supposed to be the shank part??? Anyway, the only thing that was high about these works of art was the price. I don't we will be hurrying back.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Nice range of menu choices, well served, not too expensive and in a nice atmosphere. Located on the common which makes a great area to walk around as well.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

The beers are very good and the standard of decor and comfort excellent. The young serving staff do their best but can be hard to find when you need something. The menu promises things the food finds hard to deliver . A very good beef and merlot pie came with overlooked vegetables and wilting chips. The cheese and potatoe pie had a strange mixture of filo top which was undercooked and shortcrust base which was soggy. Steak was well cooked, onion rings over done. It's these details that mean this is good but not that good. Reasonable prices.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I moved to Southampton as a student a couple of years ago and went a few times for birthday dinners and special occasions and it fast became a favourite. Lovely, friendly staff, huge choice of food and good quality all round.
This year I am no longer a student and live almost around the corner so have found myself there several times with my housemates and unfortunately something has changed. I don't know if they have changed management but there have been several changes. Skipping past the superficial changes to the décor (It now seems to be going for a nautical theme) several favourite dishes have been changed a or dropped altogether and replaced with smaller and inferior choices.
The wait staff also seemed to have gone down in quality. Don't get me wrong, most are so friendly and quick and only want to make your visit as perfect as possible. However there have been a couple of occasions were we were left disappointed. One notable occasion where we were in a large party and the waitress finished her shift halfway through out meal and didn't tell her colleagues. This meant we were waiting for our bill for a very long time with no one noticing because we were stuck in a corner. As soon as we realised we had been forgotten we of course went to the bar to ask for our bill only to be told our waitress will be with us shortly, not knowing at this point that she was gone.

It is still a very nice place to have your dinner but we have found ourselves looking for a new favourite.

1  Thank Lottie M