“What a Disappointment”
Review of Pilgrim House - CLOSED

Pilgrim House
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This restaurant used to be very good but after our recent experience (a Saturday evening) we won't be going back in a hurry. We visited with a group of friends and had the £17.99 menu. The restaurant was extremely busy with large parties on most tables. The service was poor and very slow to say the least. The food was less than mediocre - the starters were just about OK but the main courses were of poor quality and lukewarm - we were served dishes we hadn't ordered and those we had ordered didn't arrive. It seems the restaurant is more intent on 'bums on seats' rather than serving good food at a 'value for money' price. A Chinese ready meal from a supermarket would have been of far better quality and cheaper. A very disappointing evening.

1  Thank 35Sue
There are newer reviews for Pilgrim House

Reviewed October 7, 2013

A friend and I go regularly to Pilgrim House, ordering from the 'All you can eat, a-la-carte' £8.95 lunchtime offer, and are always very happy with the food that we choose. My favourite dish is Roast Cantonese Duck, which is a sliced whole breast of duck, served on tasty crunchy cabbage. My friend has a big appetite but I am happy to order just egg fried rice and the Roast Duck dish, ordering a second portion of duck when I have finished the first. (With China tea to drink.) The duck is succulent with a good flavour and would cost £8.50 on its own from the a-la-carte menu. Two portions of that, with rice, is great value already. How they make a profit on this lunchtime offer, I have no idea. The egg fried rice is very nicely cooked, light and not at all greasy. I am surprised at other reviews referring to poor service. It is not that way at lunch times. The waiters and waitress are very pleasant, always asking if you would like any more dishes, topping up my tea cup, serving us very promptly. It must be one of the best bargains that Southampton has to offer!

2  Thank BroLucius
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Was there on Friday night with friends and very disappointed with the food. Staff were not exactly friendly and got the order wrong! The main dish came out (cold) without the rice - waited about 5 minutes for the rice to come which was also cold when we eventually got it. Spent a lot of money there and will never be returning. Don't know what people rave about, it was disgusting!!

1  Thank jennyp506
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The food was OK and the service was quick. It was just a shame that the waitress thought we were a huge inconvenience, even though we were friendly and polite, and not remotely rowdy.

I thought that adding a 10% service charge for a party of 6 when we only had 2 drinks each and they actually got our dessert order wrong was a huge cheek, and then failing to bring our change until we had asked twice made added to it!

They were also in a hurry for us to leave, even though it was 10.50 on a Saturday night and there were lots more people in the restaurant.

The toilets were very tatty, apparently the gents had 'Broken' signs on all the urinals.

I will definitely not be going back.

3  Thank Claire W
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Was there last night with friends for a birthday meal, orderd drinks took 35 minuets after asking three times. The food was cold. There was l large table behind us shouting and swearing, but ordering champagne so they were well looked after. I spent over £125 and will never return. In all crap

3  Thank Graeme M