“The best Indian in Southampton!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rasraj - CLOSED

Rasraj
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Description: Locally sourced, lovely character of the building, most cozy restaurant of southampton, only authentic indian restaurant, function room, & plenty parking spaces
Newport, United Kingdom
“The best Indian in Southampton!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I travel to Southampton with work regularly, and the one benefit of being away on business is that you can try out lots of different restaurants - not great on your waistline, but good if you like food!

I love curry - and could happily move to India, and live on Indian food. I'm very critical when I go to an Indian restaurant, because I know what tastes authentic, and what is a plastic, knocked up out of a jar curry for the British market - and believe me, I've had a few of those!

Rasraj really made an impression on me on my first visit - so much so that I was happy to walk all the way across town for a second visit. The food is simply delicious. I has a "Gosht E Laziz" curry, which I'd never heard of but it was out of this world. The lamb melted in your mouth, and you could taste all the flavours. The "Kashmiri Pilau" was also fantastic - with fruit and big chunks of pineapple that just complemented the flavours of the curry perfectly.

Service was friendly and top notch on the quiet Monday evening I was there, and I can't wait to go back next week!

I've tried several other curry houses in Southampton, and while they were good - this one beats them hands down, for just having a much more authentic and flavourful approach to their food.

• Visited November 2012

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Food was very good, but it was a 20 party table and they struggled!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Firstly the food was very nice, the only problem was that our table was booked for 8pm on a Saturday night, and we eventually got served at 10:30pm.

There was 20 of us and we were upstairs, in a very white non atmospheric room.

The waiters were very considerate with all mayhem surrounding them.

The food was very good value, would go again with my partner, but not in a big part again, and not upstairs!

“Wedding anniversary night spoiled by lack of service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We booked for dinner at 8.30 on Saturday 27th October for our wedding anniversary. As soon as we went inside there was nowhere to stand as they have crammed the tables up to the door. There was no member of staff at the entrance stand, which was blocking the entrance. A party of 5 entered after us meaning we were standing over a couple eating. After a long wait a member of staff came over, ignored us and spoke to the party of 5, then walked off without even acknowledging our presence. We waited, and waited. I suggested we leave, my husband had already bought a voucher on living social so he wanted to stay. We finally got seated and I found it a squeeze to get to my seat and I'm not exactly big. We had a long wait for drinks orders, food orders, food, etc. There were only two waiters and they appeared run off their feet, they needed at least two more waiters. I had to order water three times, it took half hour to get some. The tables were so close that when the lady next to me got up, her chair knocked my wine glass. The couple on the other side asked to move table as they were by the door and when they did I then got a cold draught. A lot of customers were wearing jumpers including my husband. When we got our bill we had been charged for a bottle of wine when we had only had 1 glass. The food was very good but I don't think I will eat in the restaurant again because of the service and table layout. I would just order take out. I have been here before when there were less tables and more staff and it was wonderful, now the owners have become greedy much to the detriment of customer enjoyment. What a shame.

1 Thank Kaloloke
Crawley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“By FAR The Best Indian Meal I've Ever Had (coming from an Indian)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Two words, ABSOLUTE AMAZING. I think the most important thing of a restaurant is always food, and hands down, without any exaggeration, this place as the best indian food I've EVER had in my life, an I'm an Indian. My friend recommended this place and I'm so glad he did, the authenticity of the food is unreal. If you want a real taste of India, this is the place to go. Not like any other Indian restaurant I've ever been to. The deco is damn near perfect and has a lovely feel and the staff were just as great as the food. I knew there was something special about the meat quality here and it turns out they use all locally sourced product and boy can you taste the difference. The value for money was amazing, priced just right with premium quality food without the premium price tag! Please please please do not hesitate to try this place, I'd take the handful of negative reviews with a pinch of salt and probably picky people, this please is just perfect, best in the COUNTRY. I traveled down from London to try this place and man I'm so glad I did and I will be down again next month with my friends to show off this gem of a place.

Thank you so much Rasraj for an excellent meal, see you again soon!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank sweetdev22
England
“THE best Indian Restaurant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Having gone to this lovely little restaurant a couple of times now I feel very confident in saying this place is amazing. The quality of the food, wonderful service, incredible menu - the creative fusion of flavours have been relentlessly astounding. Organic locally sourced produce too! I could not recommend this place more. Magic!

• Visited August 2012