“Very poor service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cantina - CLOSED

Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: We are located very close (30 second walk) to London Road which has numerous bus routes that run directly to and from Southampton city center. Also we are only a short walk from Southamton Central station.
Description: Cantina was the city of Southampton's original Mexican restaurant. Our much loved neighborhood Cantina is a firm favourite amongst our army of loyal Amigos, for its rustic charm, freshly prepared authentic Mexican food and laid back atmosphere. Celebrating ten years of being at the heart of the Bedford Place buzzing bar and restaurant community, we've marked this milestone with a new look that is respectful to our status as a firm favourite on the local dining scene. The striking new decor, and vibrant atmosphere along with our brand new menu make Cantina one you definitely do not want to miss.
Notts, United Kingdom
“Very poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was my 1st visit to the restaurant and I was quite shocked how poor the service was. They really didn't have a clue despite seeming to have plenty of staff and only being half full. We had prebooked a table of 12 and preordered our food but the 1st round of drinks took 40 minutes to arrive ! And they missed 12 tequilas desipe being reminded twice which arrived 1/2 way through the main course! To top it off the second round of drinks also had to ordered twice as they forgot to tell the barman! The food took a long time to arrive and it just seemed so difficult to actually spend money in the place. This kind of ruined the night/experience for some people on our group. After a strong word with the manager they knocked a couple of meals and the tequilas off the bill but no one was inclined to leave a tip.
On the up side the food was good, the decor is nice and I think the atmosphere would have been good if there we not so many issues. Prob best to only go in numbers less than 6.

Martin D, General Manager at Cantina, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience at Cantina.
I understand you were part of a large group, and I have resolved any issues with the organizer of the booking on the evening of your visit.
We regularly have party groups of 15 or more on a weekly basis, and very rarely do we experience service issues with large groups. I can assure you your comments have been taken on board, and I will be addressing our Front of House team.
I am happy to hear you enjoyed the food and atmosphere, and sincerely hope you will be back to enjoy our menu again. I would very much like to speak to you further in person, please do not hesitate to contact me on 02380 220500
Kind regards,
Martin Doyle

Burnley, United Kingdom
“Mexican. Mexicrud”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Understaffed, chaotic, generic food/drink. Can I have a pint? No, you can have a small glass or a 4 pint pitcher. Says it all. I ordered (eventually, from the jogging waiter) a chicken chimichanga. Tortilla soggy, contents bland and poor quality. I should have known. The kind of place that is good for parties wanting cocktails and some nibbles

Martin D, General Manager at Cantina, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience at Cantina.
As you pointed out in your review, we do not serve our Premium Lager in Pint measures, we offer 330ml glasses or 4pint Lager Pitchers - which are great value for £10.00 after 10pm every evening.
I can confirm we prepare our meals using locally sourced high quality ingredients, and am disappointed one of our dishes did not meet your expectations. I will be sure to address the kitchen staff regarding this matter.
I would be delighted if you could contact me in person to discuss the above issues further on 02380 220 500.

Kind regards,

Martin Doyle
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I regularly eat at La Cantina and always have a brilliant experience. They have a great lunch menu for and meal and drink at £6, you even get the chance to roll two dice and if both land on 6 you eat for free. And there main menu has a wide range of Mexican dishes to choose from. The food is so good and the atmosphere is lovely too. All members of staff are always happy and give great service. Great Value!

• Visited February 2013
Lancashire
“Mexican food that puts top gear to shame”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Only eaten here once, when on a family visit to Southampton, but am looking forward to having another chance to visit. A good menu, three diners all had different choices and were served with lovely meals. But the desserts were a bit over-much - deep fried sugar delights after a big meal. We shouldn't have, but we did.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A birthday outing with a mixed group including children midweek”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

The staff were extremely helpful/paintent with the children, who did run around. The service was excellent, nothing too much, and youngish male staff.

Visited December 2012