“Enjoyable meal” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gusto Lounge

Gusto Lounge
Ranked #159 of 840 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Gusto Lounge Bar & Bistro is at the heart of Southampton's cultural centre and the gateway to the City. If you are a visitor to the city using the busy central station, the ever popular Mayflower theatre which is home to most of the biggest west end musicals and plays or the newly opened sea city and titanic museum you will find us ideally placed. Our lounge bar is located on the ground floor. This is a casual dining environment. The ‘All Day Menu’ is served here on a walk in only basis; so casually walk in, sit down and then order at the bar. Our Bistro is located on our first floor; here you can enjoy a more formal dining experience. Between 5 – 7 pm, the kitchen prioritises the Bistro due to the proximity of The Mayflower, so particularly if you’re a theatre visitor, this is the place to dine.
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

A small restaurant with a homely feel to it, meals arrived promptly and the wine was very good, meal portions were good bit of a strange spaghetti bolognese seemed to have pork rather than beef mince but not unpleasant, hardly any tomato though, pizza is very nice and authentic, meat balls lovely and garlicky the Gorgonzola salad should have had walnuts in but was still very tasty.
Would eat here again friendly waiter. Only gripes about this place is where we were sitting the window was open but i did not know there was a serious drop to the stairs outside my eleven year out leaned back and almost fell out and the baby highchair is flimsy and dangerous with terrible restraints if you could call them that child will need constant holding in the high chair by a parent.

• Visited July 2013

Southampton, United Kingdom
“I'm more Italian than this restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

the food is very predicable and not a partically high standard. I would recommend Lupa in the High Street, now your talking good fresh Italian food and the staff are fabulous, nothing to much trouble went in May this year.

Visited October 2012
eltoroitaliano, Owner at Gusto Lounge, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
My business partner is Italian the head chef is Italian, 50% of the waiting staff are at present Italian, we use 'de cecco' pasta cooked al dente and have quite a large number of regular Italian clientele who regard the pizza and pasta to be the most authentic in town. Our suppliers deliver fresh food prepared daily and to order. We have simplified the menu for the summer as it is our quiet period and I am not in a position to throw food away on a daily basis.
London, England, United Kingdom
“So pleasantly surprised at the meal that I felt I had to post a review.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was my second visit in 3 days to this restaurant.

My second visit in three days. The first time I had pizza but this time I ordered spaghetti con polpette (spaghetti with meatballs). I was blown away. It was a perfect dish. The tomato sauce was full of flavour, the pasta was perfectly al dente and the meatballs had great texture and flavour. It was a substantial dish without being too much. Also good friendly but not overbearing staff, good vibe and nice decor.

• Visited July 2013
“Better The First Time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We came here with friends who regularly dine here and so went as a foursome.The menu was fairly varied and there were some nice specials on the specials board.The waitress was attentive and efficient and we enjoyed our evening.
Based on this experience my husband and I decided to return on our own after a visit to the cinema.It was fairly busy and we hadn't booked but we were squeezed in on a little table at the side.This wasn't really a problem but after studying the menu,I realised that there wasn't as much variety as I'd remembered - I think we'd had all the best dishes in our party on our first visit.The specials that interested me on the specials board were all out of stock so I was a little disappointed with the selection I had to make,if I'm honest.I also found that we were pretty much ignored by the English staff and,although they were making a big fuss and making plenty of conversation with the big party at the side of us,we were not really given much attention.
This is a tastefully decorated restaurant and seems to be a 'trendy' place to be,particularly with younger couples, but I think I'd rather stick with the more authentic and plainer looking establishments run by real Italians where they are big on conversation and service,and where all customers are made a fuss of.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank wineybird
“Lovely meal at Buon Gusto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Visited recently on a Thursday night. We were the only people there having arrived just after the theatre rush, so service was good and prompt.

Our group had bruschetta and garlic bread to start. Mains included the carbonara and the salmon pasta. Dessert was cheesecake and tiramisu.

We really couldn't fault the food, everything was extremely tasty and everyone left full and very happy! Will definitely return soon.

• Visited June 2013