“Mamma Mia”

Bella Italia Southampton Hanover
Ranked #40 of 887 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Southampton boasts two branches of the ever popular Bella Italia restaurants and this particular outlet can be found at the Hanover Buildings just opposite Houndwell Park and the Bargate Shopping Centre. The front terrace is wonderful during the warmer months when everyone flocks here to enjoy a spot of Italian dining in the sunshine. Inside you'll find the trademark Bella Italia rustic style with tiled flooring and bistro style décor. The menu features a good range of Italian dishes from pizza to pasta and salads to main like the salmon fillet with roasted new potatoes and green beans topped with tomato salsa. Why not try the Italian style burger or the tasty chicken panino. Wash down with a bottle of Italian red or white or perhaps an ice cold Peroni beer.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

just a short walk from Debenhams always a nice place to stop staff excellent restaurant clean and tidy with a nice homely feel. We went for the two course lunch Mon to Fri , I had an excellent starter brusstta with salami and tomato's. Hubby had very garlic balls excellent . For main we both had pizza paying a £1.00 extra each but well worth it I had cotta ham with spicy pepporini piping hot and lots of flavour hubby had mushroom with red onion we both had tea so bill came to £24.10 a nice break from the pouring rain in a nice relaxing place .

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Celebrated my son's 15th birthday and it's a good thing it wasn't too crowded. The food was so good and it was served quickly. I tried other pasta dish but I think for me Marco polo is the best. Thanks to Tesco clubcard as well we had a wonderful meal.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We like to use this restaurant when visiting Southampton. The reasons are as follows:
1. I can use Tesco Clubcard deal vouchers here so only really pay a quarter of the price on the menu.
2. Quality of food is consistent in all Bella Italia restaurants I have visted.
3. There is disabled parking right outside the front door (I have severe walking difficulties).
4. Staff are friendly without being too ‘pushy’.
5. Service is quick, but if you want to linger over your meal you will not feel forced to vacate your table.

Disadvantages are:
6. Can get very crowded and noisy. It is a popular venue for birthday parties.
7. Location – there are some run down areas of Southampton nearby. The last time we dined there (25/10/2013) a drunken homeless person delighted in banging on the windows near our table and taking out his teeth to wave at us. He distracted us from our meal and my Daughter felt intimidated. We were also aware that there were some 'ladies of the night' parading up and down the street outside.

Overall a good restaurant with a wide ranging menu within a medium price range.

1  Thank plod715
Reviewed October 23, 2013

As our local Bella Italia has closed, it's some time since I visited one. This restaurant even better than I remember. Our waiter seemed genuinely happy to help; meals were hot and freshly prepared. One niggle was that modern hard floors - as often - do not dull the noise and there were two large parties dining, which made atmosphere a noisy one. Waiter did mention this, however and apologised!

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Good food, for a fair price just let down by the excruciatingly long wait. The restaurant was about 1/3rd full, I would dread to think how long we would of had to wait if the restaurant was full.