“Where customers are definitely first.”

The Vestry Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #126 of 890 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 12, 2014

As we often visit Southampton for the Mayflower theatre, we like to combine this with an early evening meal. The Vestry is immediately opposite the theatre, so first it is very convenient, just a short walk across the road.
Next point. We had booked the theatre for the evening show starting at 7.30pm. The Vestry advertised evening meals starting at 6.30. This would have been cutting the meal time a bit short.
One call to the Vestry and they said OK, come when you want, and we will make sure you are not late for the evening show.
We arrived at 5.00pm, had a pleasant drink, and were shown to our table. All very customer focused. The menu, although not extensive, was excellent. I chose the Tuna salad, and was amazed at just how much was on the plate. It could not be bettered.
This was the third meal we have had there, and each time we are amazed at the superb quality for what is a very reasonable price. For the two drinks, a two course meal, and coffee, £46 for two. Really good.
The actual restaurant has been converted from the old church, and has been done very tastefully. It all adds to the meal experience, the meet and greet through to the fact that the waiter was observant enough to know when to bring the bill without us having to ask. Excellent evening made better for the Vestry experience. Our thanks to the management and staff.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I have been in here a number of times and it was great this time. Lovely handy location for pre theatre dinner which was all pre booked. Drinking and casual dining on the ground floor, and then there is the restaurant upstairs. Polite and efficient staff. The food was ok, nothing amazing but good quality food at a reasonable price. This has to be the best place to come for dinner or drinks if you are going to the Mayflower. It's also a perfect place to meet up with your fiends. It is a beautiful old building which creates a lovely setting for this modern restaurant.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

My partner and I enjoyed a pre-theatre meal in this beautiful restaurant on 22nd April and I must say we were incredibly impressed with the quality of the food, the wonderful ambiance and most of all the excellent customer service from all of the friendly and efficient staff. We arrived early and enjoyed a pre meal drink in the bar whilst browsing the menu then we were led to the restaurant area for our meal. I can safely say that I don't remember ever being so well looked after in a restaurant! I would (and have) highly recommend the Vestry to friends and family and will definitely be visiting again!

2  Thank Becki M
Reviewed May 4, 2014

The building is amazing with it's stained glass window and open feel. It is confusing when you enter as to where to go if you've booked a table. An ok selection of beers, the wine list decent though. Initially looked after by a very enthusiastic waiter, he was chatty and helpful. But then having provided menus they totally forgot about us!! In the end I had to walk across to the kitchens a flag a waitress down. I had the ricotta tart to start which was totally bland - all the flavour should not come from the balsamic dressing. The main course of chicken was ok but my friend's pasta was cold so it was off to find a waitress again. They did resolve it but left me with mine, so it went cold and didn't even seemed overly surprised when I took it back. Apparently they do a dinner and dancing special (you certainly knew when the music kicked in at 10pm) sounds what they should stick to - a quick bite, alcohol and throwing shapes to old music. This building deserves so much more.

Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I came to this wonderful place for a relatives birthday celebrations. We had a part of the space section off for us and a very polite waiter to tend to our needs. I found the staff welcoming and attentive abd the atmosphere was brilliant. A lovely evening. Would defenitly recommend rhis place to anyone