“OK food, OK service, OK ambience - nothing memorable”

The Vestry Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #120 of 870 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I'm sure this restaurant would have been more lively on one of their live band nights - but we've never been able to get a table (always tried booking too late). On the day we were there it was virtually empty. Service was attentive the food was OK, but nothing to write home about. It was an OK meal - not disappointed or particularly excited.

There are newer reviews for The Vestry Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I visited the Vestry on the 26th October and was so disappointed with the service. After our starters arrived fairly promptly we waited over 40 minutes before the main course arrived. We were a large party sat on 2 tables and my main course was accidentally given to someone else. After this was corrected the waitress tried to give me my main course despite the fact that 'someone else had already started eating it'! (her words). She seemed shocked when I asked for a fresh one to be cooked, and when it arrived it was overcooked, dry and not very nice. The dessert was also very disappointing. I will not be going back.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I visited the Vestry for an Abba Tribute night with a group of friends & had a fantastic evening. The food was delicious, the act were extremely good & interacted well with the audience, & then there was a good disco afterwards.
One of our party is disabled so needed a disabled parking space. This was arranged by the Vestry, who also made sure that my friend did not have to climb the front steps, but was able to enter via a ramp. A table was reserved for us downstairs so we still had a clear view of the act.
I am lactose intolerant & the main course was altered so that I still had a delicious meal. It was clear that thought had gone into giving me an equivalent meal, which is not always the case in restaurants I visit, The starter & dessert were already lactose free.
The staff were very friendly & attentive, & made sure that we were well looked after.
All in all an excellent evening & if all tribute nights are the same then I would totally recommend them. I will certainly be going again.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Right from the moment when I emailed "The Vestry" about a booking to the final cup of coffee on the night!, everything was friendly, efficient and the food was excellent. There's a great selection on their pre-theatre menu - we all concluded that we would happily have any of the courses on the list, making the choice a difficult one. The service was good, and everything arrived in a timely fashion - especially important for a pre-show dinner. The slow-braised beef was the best I've had in a long while - plenty of it and beautifully tender. We'll certainly go back next time we're seeing a show at the Mayflower.

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I visited the vestry on fiday 18th october for pre theatre dinner with my friend..we had both enjoyed a fantastic mouthwatering lunch here before so decided to try the dinner menu...the waitress was very attentive and explained the dishes perfectly..i had chicken on a chive mash with girolles in an amazing jus..my friendvhad red snapper on a bed of cous cous with a tangy salsa..both dishes were deliciousand very flavoursome..my friend had homemade fruit crumble with tangy fruit (berries)and i enjoyed homemade tiramusu with homemade shortbread to follow..both were gorgeous..they were to die for..we finished with coffees..loved the sugar cubes presented in a tate & lyle tin..nice touch..thoroughly recommend the vestry for its food,service,ambience,etc..the staff are amazing and really enjoy being there..can not wait to return..xx

1  Thank smartymarty255