“4/5” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Europe
“4/5”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Good price-quality ratio. Tasty and satiated breakfast. Close to the train station and the supermarket. Best for economic travelers. And it cost me only 30 GBP/night for single standard room. And only one problem was that the room was over heated by radiator, outside temp was around 8-10*C. So if you like chilly weather you may have difficulties to get asleep. Window in the room didn’t helped much =/

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Farrington Gurney, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Me and my Fiancee tried to book a room for a weekend we were coming to Southampton for an event. I sent a reservation request through the B&B's official website filling in my bank details etc.
I had no Email or Telephone confirmation for 24 hours so was worried that it didn't go through. I rang up and they said "We'll send you a confirmation email".
I waited another day with no luck, I rang up in the evening at a reasonable time and got told "I'm not in the office right now, can you ring back tomorrow?".
I was already fed up with the terrible unproffessional service so decided to cancel, I sent an email stating my cancellation, I also rang up and just wanted a confirmation that my money hadnt been taken and that I had cancelled. I was told that I would get an Email or Telephone call confirming the cancellation...what a surprise, nothing. After finally ringing up AGAIN the next day I was told "Well your not on the system so it must have cancelled". I explained how I made other arrangements now because I waited to long as wasnt happy and the response was just "fair enough..."
After trying AGAIN the next day I finally got told "Well you're not on the system so it must have been cancelled".
After reading other reviews on TripAdvisor I'm glad I cancelled, I didn't even get as far as booking properly, it doesnt really get worse than that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
GuestHouse77, Owner at City Park Guest House, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thankyou for your review. Please accept my apologies for the mix up with your booking. As discussed in our final conversation with you, we were experiencing problems with our online booking system. Unfortuantely you did speak to 3 different members of staff, therefore the problem was not highlighted as quickly as it should have been. Because of this, we had no notification of your booking or cancellation. We cannot reply to an email that we have not received.
I am sure you would have enjoyed your stay with us, had you made a successful booking. We have over 3000 customers a year stay at our Guest House. Most people only make a review when things go wrong. But as always we welcome all feedback
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Reading the reviews for this Guest House is extremely confusing, either one star or five, have you asked friends to submit reviews Mr. Leighton?. My husband and I stayed here for one night recently and will never return. The only thing clean in the room was the bedding and when we arrived there was only one pillow, in fairness quickly rectified by the extremely pleasant and friendly receptionist. We had a bay window with two filthy broken wooden blinds on the side windows and no curtain or blind on the middle window, when we pointed this out the receptionist found an old curtain which she hung over the net curtain in the middle. The wardrobe door was cracked and broken and had a broken hinge, it could not be fully opened as it was so close to the bed. Although my husband had a bedside light there was no place to plug it in. There was no socket at the kettle so this had to be placed on the floor to be used. The toilet seat was broken and had no lid, bare lightbulb in the toilet. Toilet floor was disgusting. I have to question safety in the event of a fire, there were planks of wood on the narrow staircase and you could not open the electronic front door without a key fob as there was no release button on the inside, if there was someone at reception which could not be seen from the front door they could buzz you out. We did not stay for breakfast, I couldn't wait to leave this downmarket, depressing 'Guest House'. We paid £55, in advance unfortunately, and had stayed at the Premier Inn for £39 the week before, no guesses for where we will stay next time we're in Southampton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GuestHouse77, Owner at City Park Guest House, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
I take all your comments on board, but please do not accuse us of submitting our own reviews. There were a few bits that needed to be done in this room. All of which seemed to go at the same time.
The blind fell down over the weekend and could not be replaced. These have now been replaced with curtains. They are dust collectors I would agree. They are not ideal for their purpose. They had been replaced in all rooms, yours was the last room to be done. The wardrobe door has been replaced. Bedside lamp can be plugged in from socket on the other side of bed, and should have been. Toilet seat has been replaced. Toilet floor was not dirty, we had a leak and it has marked the flooring. I object to your comments that the room was dirty. Our cleaner is very conscientious. Her worked is checked regularly. We are always satisfied.
There is a longer lead for the kettle, for some reason this had been removed. This had now been put back in to the room.
The Door Fob system is there for your protection. In the event of a fire the door automatically releases. The wood has been removed from the stairs. It was being used for another room, but should not have been left on the stairs.
You’ve made comments to things that we could have answered, or rectified had you spoken to us, face to face. In particular the Door Fob system. We could have moved you to another room. Or given you a full refund. I am slightly baffled as to why you didn't choose the Premier Inn again in favour of us, as it was supposedly cheaper and you knew what you'd be getting.
I am trying to attached some photos to show improvements. If I can't do this via tripadvisor I will send them directly to you.
Andover, hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Just had 2 nights at this b & b, the double room was the size of a shoe box, carpets were dirty covered in hair and dust, furniture was cheap and falling to pieces, the reception was in the breakfast room which was full of a mish mash of old tables and chair, the breakfast was cold and we didn't feel welcome, i would have have rather been camping. Dawn

Room Tip: don't bother
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kevin1505
GuestHouse77, Owner at City Park Guest House, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
In response to your review.
When we purchased this property 10 years ago, all of the rooms had no en suite facilities. We have listened to our customers and the consensus was for the rooms to be en suite. In doing this it has made the rooms a bit smaller, we feel this compromise was worth it.
The carpet is not dirty, and I object to this. The furniture is not expensive but it all matches and is not falling to pieces.
The reception is in the breakfast lounge and I see no problem with that. We have four matching tables modern oak 1 year old with 2 different sets of chairs. This hardly constitutes a mish mash of furniture.
Your breakfast could not have been cold our breakfast is not pre cooked. Your breakfast would have been given to you freshly cooked.
I apologies if you didn't feel welcome. That would not have been our intention.
When I first read this I thought it was about another Guest house. This review is totally unfounded. We do not advertise ourselves as a 5 star hotel. We are a Clean B & B. that is exactly what you got.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

got back from somerset and needed a rest ,so i went to city park as i knew it to be park view ..glad i did go back andrew and his team have done a great job on the refurb of city park ..my one night stay and brekkie was fab ,can not ask for more from and upto date Guest House thank you .........................

Room Tip: if you want a doulble then ask to see them all if available..............
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to give us your positvie review.
It means a great deal to us.
Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Our workman stayed at the Parkview Guest House for a period of over 3 months. Andy and Tracey were extremely accomodating, helpful and patient with us, they had a lot of last minute changes from us and always managed to sort us out. If we are ever back in southampton working we will be back there staying for sure. I would recommend this bed and breakfast. Thanku for all your hard work :-)

Louise
Construction Interior Design Ltd

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Louise M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

we were very happy with our stay at the P,V,G,H......booked a double room, which was clean and tidy,a brill breakfast and a warm welcome,have booked for next month ,and will contiue to use this good B AND B............THANK YOU ANDY AND TEAM

Room Tip: ROOM 10 AND ROOM2....have been in both and they top my preferance.......
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends