“Can't believe this hotel is recommended by Paultons Park”

Holiday Inn Express Southampton West
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last weekend as part of a Paultons Park (Peppa Pig World) package. Check in was ok but was surprised to see lots of pizza / indian & chinese leaflets on the counter (I was soon to find out why!!) Room was ok, basic with no bath or view but acceptable for price. We were with friends and 3 young children in total so decided to stay in hotel for dinner and drinks BIG MISTAKE! The hotel was so under staffed that whether you were checking in, ordering a drink or ordering food, it was the same till, hence 10min queue, The hotel was advertising Peppa Pig world kids eat for £1.99 with every adult meal but hotel MANAGER told us (although advertised on their digital display) that it was an old offer and no longer available!! it took 45 mins for the starter to come out and they didnt bring the children anything and made them wait until our main courses another 20 mins later! When the food did arrive it was terrible! tough oven chips that tasted as though they had been reheated, the kids left their food and adults ate round the fries at the bits that were ok. The poor Cook and Waitress THATS RIGHT, BOTH THE SAME PERSON!! was run off her feet with no help and looked fit to drop. We complained to the Manager and did get kids meals refunded and some free drinks but would have rather had good food and good service. There is also NO lounge area so choice is sit at cafe style dining table or go to your room! Breakfast was a huge disappointment after staying in a Premier Inn recently which was fantastic (yes you have to pay extra but here that was not an option) choice is a poor breakfast or go without, Sausage, Scrambled Egg & Beans is the only hot food available, no bacon, no mushrooms, no tomatoes, no hash browns (I could go on!) I couldn't wait to leave here and although will be visiting PP world lots more will never stay here again, not even if it was FREE! Children are not catered for and there isn't anything here for them to do either

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Nicola S,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and I am sincerely sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. I can assure you that we have taken note of your comments and are doing our very best to ensure all guests get the time, attention, and positive attitude they deserve from our team members. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

After checking in and taking our bags and children up to our room 203 ,we decided it was time for some diner! on the menu in the room it advises guests to inform staff if you have a food allergy .
My wife and eldest daughter are both ceoliacs (can't eat gluten) I asked what they would be able to eat and was kindly informed nothing as even the chips contain gluten ! The member of staff then produced a menu for a local kebab shop and said perhaps you could try this they deliver !!! Now what was the point of going to a hotel with a restaurant attached if I wanted to feed my children kebabs ?
By this time it's gone 7 and my family is very Hungry so a trip to sainsburys for salad and cold meats to eat in our room follows . After diner I decided to get a pint and a glass of wine for my wife and I ( for which I've paid less in the west end of London ) I take these back to the room and whilst sitting on the edge of the bed my wife notices that a previous resident has left the remains of there stomach down the valance on the bed !
Breakfast : or lack of it ! Reminded me of school diners , actually that would be putting my old school down , el cantina would be more appropriate , no bacon , scrambled egg you could plaster a wall with ! Sausages that looked anaemic and beans that could have been there hours !
The staff tried their best but I would say in my experience they lacked good management ! Which is key to every good business !
Come on holiday inn you've always been good before but I won't stay at Southampton west again !

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank jph75
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear jph75,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced and for Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced and for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the restaurant service has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Janice A

Reviewed June 15, 2013

A budget hotel offering budget facilities for a budget price. The room was clean with minimal facilities but did have a kettle but only 1 tea bag. Breakfast was at best mediocre What I did find quite unacteptable was being asked to pay £6.50 for one hour for wifi access.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the rear of the Hotel as on a hot night you may wish to open the window and the noise...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rajat V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a valuable comment, Following on from your feedback regarding WIFI being expensive, I am pleased to confirm that we've decided to offer internet for Free to all our IHG Rewards Club Members.

In Addition to this we have also reduced our prices to only £5 for 24hrs for any non IHG Reward club members.

I would strongly recommend you to join IHG Rewards club as its completely free to join and comes with great benifits like free night stay/bottle of wine etc.

Regards

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed last night for cruise park & stay. Excellent location 10 mins from docks clean comfortable room friendly service what more could you want. This was cheaper than 2 weeks parking at docks & included transfers. Have read lots of complaints about breakfast but found nothing wrong myself. Never had food at hotel but went for meal at local pub which staff recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank keithadambrown

Thank you very much for providing us your valuable feedback following your stay at the holiday inn Express Southampton west. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We really appriciated the positive comments that you made regarding breakfast, We will look forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

as my boss is paying I don't really have much choice. but to say its the worse place ive ever stayed will cover all comments. staff are doing there best but management just don't get the point obviously - daily special board last all week . dirty cutlery and glasses . no chicken for a chicken salad for 3 nights? why? its just shocking go some where else please . save yourselfs the grief .staff are great rooms are clean and tidy all else is shockingly poor . good luck . owww and don't forget a stranger coming in ya room as they have double booked and there I was trying to chill out and in walks a total stranger with his partner thinking its there room. thankfully I was just watching tv. did they say sorry? hmmmm eventually

Room Tip: 220 is ok but nothing special
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank sunman1962
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear sunman1962,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding room cleanliness and our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding restaurant experience. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Horrendous hotel. Found the food appalling and unfit to eat. The "dining room" if that's what you call it was dirty,and service was shocking. Never again. location is well away from anything and no alternative available for food or drink.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Anon A
Rajat V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

We always look for the ways to improve ourselves and therefore we are in a process of reviewing our F&B offerings.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed this past weekend, the main thing is the hotel room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was clean which I guess is the most important thing. The service was good to begin with, I took my little boy to the bar area for dinner where I didn't really have any choice (due to cut menu) to pay £10 for a Chicago Town pizza that is £3.50 in Tesco. It arrived, it was burnt. More fool me for not sending it back but we'd had a long day and was hungry and didn't want to wait 10 minutes for them to microwave another one. We ordered two drinks, and got charged incorrectly at £8, this was rectified after I raised the issue which was fine, the problem I had was that the bar staff had THREE attempts at making me a bitter shandy?... I had to offer advice. All in all I paid £27 for a burnt pizza, dry garlic bread with cheese sprinkled on, a cold belgian waffle, a drink that was half missing because of the head on it and a dis-satisfied little boy.

It was convenient for us but we'll never return again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank UKworldtrotters

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

We constantly review our F&B offerings to provide variety and will certainly take on board your comments regarding Meal experience.