“Terrible Customer Service”

Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
UK
“Terrible Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

As a regular business traveller I was shocked at the lack of customer service at this hotel. There was no record of my booking (it was made the previous day with booking.com). Hey,these things happen, but I certainly wouldn't expect the receptionist to huff and puff at the fact that she had to go look at a different computer. I was told the hotel was full and there was no record of my booking. I showed the confirmation email and suggested the reservation may be in the name of the person that booked it (that wasnt me it was my office). The booking was indeed a different name and they did have a room. Sadly, they put me on the ground floor which suprised me as I was a lone female traveller. Premier Inns have a policy not to put lone females on the ground floor, shame Holiday Inn Express doesn't try and safeguard the wellbeing of women travelling alone. I asked for a room on the upper floor, but was told in no uncertain terms that the hotel was full.
When I got to the room I found the room had an ajoining door, asked to be moved, otherwise I would have to leave. Then, they did find me a room, on the second floor (lots more huffing and puffing!). When I finally got to the room, it stunk of smoke. Strange for a non smoking room. There were more issues about poor service, but I cannot inlcude them all as there is a 200 character minimum. Upon check out I was not presented with a bill, but simply told to the put my card in and enter my pin. More huffing and puffing (from a different receptionist) when I asked for a breakdown of the charges. She promptly picked up the computer screen and turned it around so I could see it. A strange check out proceedure, not to be presented will a bill to check. Even more confusing was the fact the the previous night I was told the room had been paid for and this morning it hadn't? I also had to take into account that £30 had already been taken from my card the previous night? The receptionist was astounded (I could tell by the way she raised her eyebrows at me) that I didn't know that this was Holiday Inn Policy. I am indeed also astounded on a number of levels! What ever happened to a good old fashioned warm greeting, sincere eye contact or even just a desire to provide good service. It obviously doesn't exist at the Holiday Inn Express West. (If anyone reading this can recommend a good hotel in the same aread I would be really grateful)

Room Tip: All the rooms being with a 3 are on floor 2. All the rooms begining with 2 are on floor 1. Recepti...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jonathan M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests.

I will take your feedback to the lady on duty to coach her on how the situation could have been handled better.

Many thanks for the feedback and I hope to be able to welcome you back here in the future.

Jonathan Meeson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This place needs money spent on it. The lift buttons were temperamental and the card keys often didn't open the room door. We booked a twin room but were given a double with only a 4.6 bed. We told reception. They gave us a different room. Still a double bed but with the sofa bed made up. The sofa bed IS NOT suitable for an adult because the mattress is only 3inches thick!!! And the bed is very uncomfortable. I emailed hi through their website on our return, got a reply saying the hotel in question would contact me within 48 hours. It is now 96 hours and I have heard no more. There must be better places to stay in this area.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

I have also now contacted you directly regarding this matter.

Many thanks for the feedback.

Jonathan Meeson

Travelers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Small gripe for a generally good hotel... Saved sooo much $$$ booking a PP World break, but... 11.10pm Missus and nipper asleep. Went down to bar for a well deserved beer and whisky chaser. Gave room number to barman. Back to room and into bed with bevvies. Five minutes later, persistent knock on our room door from bar lady, asking for a swipe of my credit card. What? Why? She babbled something but couldn't decipher. This woke the missus up, who gave me grief for purchasing said alcoholic beverages and resultant awakening. Grr. Guys, seriously, either take card swipe when people order or leave it til the morning. Don't follow me up to my room cos you've done it wrong. First time I've come across this inconvenience.

• Stayed October 2012

essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I booked this hotel before reading the reviews ,so I was very apprehensive.I had no need to be We received a friendly welcome and our booking was dealt with efficiently.Our room was spotlessly clean and comfortable with every thing we needed.I would have appreciated a drawer to put small items in but at £47 a night for 2 including breakfast who's complaining.good power shower in the bathroom.Breakfast was self serve with a good choice of items ,we came down earky as we were advised that later on it could be very busy.All in all a very enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lamorna25
Jonathan M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, October 19, 2012

Stevenage
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Location and cheap is a major plus point, as most guests going on cruise holidays from Southampton use this hotel.

The Check inn was good and our room was situated at the far end of the hotel overlooking the car park and nearby roundabout for the M27. We were unfortunately kept awake by a very noisy loose man hole cover on the nearby roundabout that went "bang" every time a car passed over it ".

Also lots of people arriving very late at night 2a.m(ish) and making a lot of noise in the car park.

Breakfast was just okay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

Being located next to the motorway, there can be background noise, so I am sorry that it affected your sleep.

Beerwah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express Brand is an excellent way for overseas visitors like my wife & self to take a driving holiday in the UK. Reasonably priced on the outskirts of towns most with pubs or other food outlets close by & not far to an all important Park & Ride in the larger centres. Rooms are of a good size,beds are comfortable with decent bathrooms with shower controls you don't have to be an engineer to work, last but not least well presented & clean with a free breakfast.
No I wasn't reimbursed in any way to write this, just telling it as it was.[ also have since stayed at another three with the same results] hence the good rap.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jonathan M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, October 13, 2012

Boynton Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Small rooms, promised a king size bed(thru Hotels.com)....they don't have any....very crowded public area, very hot. The coffee was so weak, guess they were stretching it... No closet, just hanging space...bathroom quite small...adequate for our use, (leaving on cruise next day) but still over 10 pounds to get to ship(thats about 16.50 USD and had to take a cab to go out to dinner....their restuarant...not to appetizing...

Room Tip: choose another hotel....or look at it on google earth...it is near nothing!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

I am sorry for the disppointment regarding the beds, so that is something I need to look at.