“Business stay”

Premier Inn Southampton Airport Hotel
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed here as it was central to the few days work i had in the southampton area. Although i have used Premier Inn before i was dissappointed with this one. The room was noisey even with the windows closed as the traffic from the airport ran right next to the side of the building my room was on.
The food was ok with plenty to eat at breakfast. Although the rooms are controlled with swipe cards, to my horror my room was entered by another traveller who had been allocated the same room!!!
I contacted the service desk and they sorted it out. I was worried about the security so had to carry all my equipment with me the next day, just in case.
I contacted the head office when i got home but still have had no reply?
I will not be staying here again. Bad night policy......Dont make me laugh.

Room Tip: Dont take a room that is on the airport road side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Southampton Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.
We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.
Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you once again for your review.

Naina
Social Media Team,

Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.

There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Southampton Airport Hotel

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Had a excellent stay with my 7 yr old nephew. Room was spacious, very clean and comfortable. Slept like a log both nights even though next to airport. Ate in restaurant on second night and even though very busy and main restaurant closed to big party. Staff very accommdating for other guests.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

As we arrived very late in the evening after a 6 hour channel crossing, we were pleased and relieved that we encountered no problems with the accommodation. The 3rd floor room was easily accessible by lift, and the level of comfort exceeded our expectations. No noticable noise from airport.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed at The Premier Inn on a Friday night ready forgoing on a cruise on the Saturdey morning. The hotel had good parking (free) available, the room was clean and comfortable as you would expect, considering we were next to the airport we did not hear a thing. The bar is small and so is the dinning area which is surprising considering the size of the hotel.
We would defiantly stay there again.

Hope this helps.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I wish I could write a more positive review about this hotel because the staff there really deserve it but that's not what makes for a useful review - so here's how it really was:

We stayed for 1 night, a Saturday, in a family room in September 2012. We arrived around 6.30pm and our room had not been made up for 4. It was set for 2 people and it takes a fair while to make up 2 more beds and collect all the necessary kit (the housekeeper came in and out of the room 4 times), by which time I had some grumpy kids who expected to have been in bed. Having said that, the staff were exemplary in their willingness and politeness in responding and making sure the beds did get made up.

Our night was comfortable enough, a good firm mattress, enough warmth, a decent TV and reasonable though well-used bath towels. The bathroom facilities were fine although the shower was disappointing but it did the job and Premier Inn is a budget hotel chain so it's only fair to have reasonable expectations! Given the location I absolutely agree with previous reviews that this hotel is nice and quiet. The only noise we contended with were people walking around on the floor above rather than the flightpath! The location is good for the airport and access to main roads and it's not too far to drive if you need shops.

The main thing that lets this hotel down is the lack of staff.
Every member of staff we came across was polite, genuine and helpful. If only there were enough of them that they could actually get on and do their jobs. The receptionist was also the housekeeper who came to make up the extra beds on the Saturday night and the Sunday morning receptionist had spent time washing pots in the kitchen. They are running around sorting everything out to the best of their ability with no spare capacity to respond to guests ad-hoc needs.
The breakfast was an example of exactly this problem. We arrived half way through the breakfast session and queued for 10 minutes to be seated and then half the breakfast options were finished / empty. I requested croissants and vegetarian sausages (both part of their standard offer) and waited 25 mins for the croissant which came out over-cooked and 30mins for the veg sausages by which time I'd finished eating! The toaster requires 2 revolutions for every slice which results in a substantial queue and queueing is uncomfortable as the staff are dashing around constantly clearing tables, seating guests and occasionally managing to re-fill empty food containers. The queue for hot food was frequently at a stand still whilst people waited with half filled plates hoping the chef would return with some more bacon or some eggs or something else quite fundamental to a cooked breakfast!
We saw 2 staff on the waiting floor and there was 1 chef in the kitchen. This is for a large hotel that was at least 70-80% full I believe. Unfortunately we heard from other returning guests that this had not been an isolated problem with mitigating circumstances of staff sickness or unexpected staff shortage and my understanding is that this is 'normal service'. I take my hat off to every member of staff for their tireless efforts in keeping everything going and doing their absolute best for us and I implore Premier Inn to provide enough staff to make the job fair and humanly possible!

One final comment - Premier Inn responded very well to my dissatisfaction voiced at check-out and that counts for a lot - once again, exemplary staff!

I would stay here again for convenience and value but I wouldn't spend extra having breakfast and my recent experience has reduced my expectations of Premier Inn so it won't be my first choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mrsspikes
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed here with my wife on our way back to France, mainly because of convenience for early morning flight. We found the hotel facilities to be surprisingly good for a "low budget" hotel, especially the bedroom which was very spacious and modern with a clean well equipped bathroom. Very close to airport terminal (5 minutes walk) and train station but nevertheless the bedroom was very quiet with double/triple glazing on windows, and a good air conditioning system. There is a pleasant restaurant and bar area (which is convenient as not much else within walking distance apart from airport terminal services). Good choice of food and drink, although my pasta dish has a rather strange pesto-type sauce. The staff were friendly and helpful.
Overall a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Corridor and fire doors might prove a noise nuisance for some rooms. Otherwise all rooms are well so...
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We could watch the planes take off just the other side of the road from our bedroom window, yet we couldn't hear them. Spacious, comfortable rooms, pleasant bar and breakfast was quite good too, if a little disorganised. We arrived too late for dinner so cannot comment on that. Ony slight issue was the car park - the main car park was full, there was space in the other car park but you have to get up and move the car back into the main hotel car park (a few metres away) before 9am. Only a problem if you arrived late and were intending to have a lie in, but then car parking is always at a premium near an airport. We would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple