“A Good Airport Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
St. John, United Kingdom
“A Good Airport Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

ignore the strange purple exterior and inside this is a very friendly budget hotel with surprisingly agreeable rooms at a very sensible price. The restaurant & bar are also fine. and although the steak was a bit tough (but still well cooked & tasty), the staff were very apologetic & ready to change the order. There is a clear commitment to quality at affordable prices, and its only a short walk to the airport terminal. Great value for money!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
County Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

we arrived at the hotel at 9.45pm, food was served until 10pm in the restaurant/bar but we did not require food or drink. Check in was pleasant and very effiicent, our room was on the ground floor near reception. The room was fresh and very clean, a large double bed, 2 chairs and a flat screen tv. The bathroom was very clean, the tiles over the bath were sparkling, the carpet was freshly vacuumed. We both slept well and were very happy with the room. Breakfast was very nice, buffet style and well cooked fresh food. The restaurant had plenty of staff available and it was very clean too. This is a modern hotel and one of the cleanest we have stayed inn, we would recommend premier Inn to anyone looking for a reasonably priced overnight stay

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on business in July 2012. Having stayed in hotels nearby airports I thought there might be some issues with noise, this isn't the case. I was doing night shift working so slept during the day and wasn't woken once by traffic outside. The adjoining restaurant is typical premier inn however, the service here was a little slow and I did find myself having to go to find a waiter to settle my bill.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

If proximity to the airport is what you need, this hotel fits the bill very nicely - the only thing closer would be crashing on top of your bags in the terminal building. This also means that the charm-factor of the location (on a scale of 0-10) is about minus 5, but one expects that in an airport hotel. We stayed one weekend night and paid GBP 70.- for a double room without breakfast.

There's no arguing about taste, but the purple-ish colour scheme of the Premier Inn chain does make me want to. The exterior looks like a prison on the outskirts of Ulan Bator that's been converted to a girls school. Don't let this put you off - the actual guest rooms are spacious, comfortable and surprisingly stylish.

On arrival we found a suspicious looking stain on the (otherwise clean) sheet - how the housekeeper missed it is a mystery, but it was instantly changed to a spotless one on my request. Otherwise the standard of cleanliness was good.

There is a restaurant and a bar serving average pub food at reasonable prices. Staff are friendly and helpful.

The beds are large and very comfortable. Sound insulation is much better here than in many similar places, and even better than in some hotels charging twice as much. There were lorries noiselessly thundering past our bedroom window, like in a silent movie, and although some guests were inconsiderate enough to slam their doors, this was hardly audible.

I would stay here again if I have to stop in the area.

If all you need is a comfortable nights sleep at Southamptom airport, without unnessecary frills, this is a reliable option. And once inside, you don't have to look at the exterior.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Midlands,UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I arrived at about 9pm on a Sunday evening. The car park was overfull and I had to go inside and speak to the receptionist as there was no answer when pressing the button at the car park entrance. I was told to park in the 2nd car park.

The room was pleasant enough although very warm.

I wanted a meal but was told I would have to order and eat in the bar. The bar was very busy and after waiting for about 10 minutes and still being about 3 deep back from the bar I gave up. Luckily I had some cuppa soup and biscuits in my bag.

When back in my room I set the air-con to a lower temperature and the room did eventually cool down.

The staff I met were pleasant. The room was spotlessly clean and the bed comfy. These things I have come to expect from Premier Inn, even in their older sites.

However due to the problems I had with parking, room temperature and getting a meal mean I can't recommend this Premier Inn. At the end of a long day I want a stress free experience and I'm afraid to say that I was disappointed here. I generally can't fault Premier Inn and use them a lot but I will not be using this one again and wouldn't recommend it to friends or family.

Room Tip: Get a meal before you arrive. If you can't wait hours for your room to cool down before you want...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked this as an overnighter after Paulton park. We went for the £22 meal deal which was very good value for money. The food & service in the hotel restaurant was of a high standard. We would recommend this premier inn & we will definatley stay here again.

1 Thank Sarah J
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed here just 1 night whilst we were on our way to Bournemouth and found it to be be really very clean with excellent service and great food in the restaurant.
We have stayed in a number of Premier Inns in the last 2 years or so and whilst they have been all been good, this particular Inn was excellent. Just off the M27/M3 so easy access to Southampton, New Forest and Bournemouth areas.

Room Tip: Although it is near the ariport, with windows closed it is very quiet