“rooms 2star...small & needs paint.”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed February 20, 2011

stayed with wife for our 30th anniversay and the room was 2 star and small / cramped and needed painting, also it was cold with the heating only coming on early morning and only in the evening for about an hour. breakfast buffet was very good, staff were polite and helpful, bar was small. we had a big problem with trying to get into the hotel at 11.10pm because they have big barn type doors for entry from the road and they lock these at 11pm and after that you have to ring a bell which we did and we rang and rang for 15mins in the rain and this wasn't as you can appreciate a nice end to our wedding anniversay evening.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Home-Telecom
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Hotel.
I was sorry to read there were some disapointing elements of your stay which I will address with the team.
I was confused with your comments about the heating, the system is always on and is controlled in each indivdual room. I will certainly investiagte if there is an issue with the room you stayed in but can confirm this is not a 'hotel wide issue'.
My apologies again and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back sometime in the future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed February 15, 2011

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2011

Reviewed February 10, 2011

Stayed one night on business. Small room,bathroom smelt as shower curtain was moldy. Paint failing off the wall in the bathroom making the whole room feel unkept.
Dave from the bar was wonderful really polite and a credit to the hotel. He was aware i had to catch an early flight and would be leaving before breakfast was being served- room service arrived the following morning before i left,fantastic customer care

• Stayed: February 2011
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I was delighted to read of the great service given by David I will ensure this is passed onto him.
My apologies for the problems with the room, I will of course address this.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Hotel soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed February 7, 2011

Nice looking character hotel with excellent friendly service. Rooms were a little sparsly decorated but bed was very comfortable and furniture good quality. Lack of air conditioning could be a problem in summer, but not a for this stay. Plenty of car parking to the rear for a reasonable charge. Breakfast was expensive so went to the Wetherspoons pub next door.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I was delighted to read you enjoyed your visit and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next trip to Southampton.

Reviewed February 4, 2011

friday 21st january 2011

we held our wedding reception here and my husband is disabled and i have a milk allergy ,they catered for our every need .there was a lift to take us up to reception room which was beautifully laid out .we had a three course wedding dinner which was all to our satisfaction .the staff that all assisted us were very helpful indeed .we stayed in a room in hotel overnight which we both felt was to a high standard .we would recommend this hotel to anyone for their wedding .thankyou to all the dolphin hotel staff for helping make our wedding a memorable one

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank smithy40
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your review and choosing the Dolphin as the venue for your special day.
I was delighted to read you enjoyed your day with us and will of course ensure your comments are passed onto the team.
Kind regards

Reviewed February 1, 2011

We arrived on Friday evening for an overnight stay with friends.
I have never been to Southampton before so I wasnt sure what to extpect, but what a lovely surprise The Dolphin Was!
It is in a fantastic location near harbour front, shops, and historical places to visit. The room was upto date, warm and spotless. The staff friendly and efficient. We were well looked after.
We ate in the Signature Restaurant that evening and the food was 5 Star!
I will definately return as a couple or with family and friends again.
Well Done!

1  Thank Marina186338
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and will ensure your comments are communicated to the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Southampton.

Reviewed January 28, 2011

Before I moved from Southampton this hotel was being renovated which in my opinion was a good reason to stay there to try it out. Basically all that has happened is that it's been painted and the bar and restaurant been updated. The beds are hard and pillows very thin, the rooms are clean but outdated still, the bathrooms haven't been touched during the renovation and the whole hotel creaks when you walk around it. The walls are very thin as every night I could hear my neighbour snoring. One morning the fire alarm went off at 7:30 which was annoying and concerning as no one came to inform us that there is no fire or apologize. Breakfast is a buffet, the bacon was always hard and cardboard like and the eggs very powdery. We were made to sign for the breakfast tab before we even sat down. The bar is ok although closes at 23:00 without us knowing and no sign or notice anywhere to tell us. One night I waited 45 min for someone to come in and take an order, where the staff were only they would know. I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you are looking for a hotel that's in the city centre and not as overly priced as the devere hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, I was disapointed to read there were elements of your stay that were not to our usual high standards for which I would like to apologise. I would like to assure you these will be addressed with my team.
In regards to the refurbishment I was very suprised with your comments on what has been done, the hotel has been redeveloped at a cost of £4 million creating an additional 25 brand new bedrooms, building a new restaurant and kitchen, moving the reception area, as well as changing the major plant areas.